Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Mar 13, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #3,301 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ping luvdunhill - he has a bit better solution with better impedence matching, from what I can tell - but, better hurry. Read some more about it here.

Thanks pabbi, I've seen that one, its quite interesting! But I'm not sure if I want to go into PGA solutions before I've tried out a relay based solution. On top of that, I've already placed orders for the boards from TPA already.
frown.gif
Perhaps another time?

ps. your caps has arrived! Thanks a million!

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #3,302 of 4,278
What is the current cinsumption of an amplifier board?

Also, what is the maximum current the PS board should be able to supply befoer the voltage drops below 250V?

When I connect 1 amplifier board to the PS, the voltage drops from 250V to approx 165V.

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #3,304 of 4,278
Further inspection and poking around by my dad with the multimeter suggests a blown mosfet.

Gonna order some more tomorrow...

This confirms my fear/hatred of mosfets; they are so much more awkward to play with than nice resilient resisters/caps etc

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #3,305 of 4,278
typically it takes a short for the mosfet to blow, either a wriing mistake, a solder bridge somewhere, or a slip with a dmm.

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #3,307 of 4,278
I've decided to build a Bijou after reading this thread from start to end. I'm going to order the kit from GJA soon. But I have a question to start off with, if I'm building a balanced build, is there a recommended transformer to use? I know for the SE version, Hammond 270DAX is recommended but what about balanced? Is there the option of using only one transformer?

FYI, my mains are 230 Volts at 50 Hertz

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #3,308 of 4,278
IF you are going to the lengths of a balanced build, then go with two tranformers.

Two of the Rcores would be fine

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #3,309 of 4,278
My balanced worked quite well with a single Hammond 270HX, so the 370HX should be good for universal voltage, though I did have to use some 10w resistors to bring the b+ down just a bit. It has been too long since I did that to remember exactly, but the recommendation is _somewhere_ in the thread.

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #3,312 of 4,278
I've read in an old post on headwize that recommended 300 series transformers over 200 series transformers for better build quality, less heat and less buzz. Has anyone tried both and reached the same conclusion? Is the 30 dollars difference here justified? btw, a1parts.ca has both 270DAX and 370DAX in stock for Canadians.

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #3,313 of 4,278
you do often read that the 200 seeries like to buzz. personally i have the Rcore which is cheap and seems perfect for the application. it also lets you use the fantastic 8416 pq tube.

Mar 17, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #3,314 of 4,278
I've considered using the Rcore before. But, well, one of the things I want to do in my particular build is that I want to do the regal mod. Also, I want to have enough current to go around regardless of the tube type I use. This is why I wanted to use the Current multiplier power supply mod. The Rcore seems to need a choke supply, and I am not sure whether that power supply mod will be able to supply as much current as the CMPS. That, coupled with the fact that a) having a choke takes up more space, b) the Rcore listed on vt4c's audio catalog is too fat and wide for the enclosure I have in mind, c) As good as vt4c's customer service is, their shipping is a bit on the expensive side, and takes a long time to arrive; means that I am probably going to stick with Hammond transformers. But thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll go with 370DAX for the assurance of less buzz.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back