Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Mar 11, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #3,286 of 4,278
pabbi: did you turn up the NFB when you were listening to the HE-5?

Also, could somebody confirm this: ECC99s were recommended for Regal mod because people were unable to regulate to 250V using 6N6Ps with the mod, is this correct? Thus, modifying the power supply with capacitance multiplier should correct it, is this correct?

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #3,288 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a lot of people use the regal mod with 6n6p - some have no issues, others do.

Excellent, I'll perform the capacitence multiplier modifications just to be sure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #3,289 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olli1324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Toe Cutter; when did you order your kit from Jeff?

I ordered mine somewhere around the 22nd of feb but it still hasn't come
frown.gif

The hifi2000 case and the RCA/IEC socket/power switch have arrived though. I hope it gets here before this weekend cos I'm gonna have access to a nice little electronics work station over the weekend.

Yeah I'm in the same position as I ordered mine mid Feb and it got sent saturday, guessing if UKToecutter got his then ours in customs waiting to send us a bill!

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #3,290 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a lot of people use the regal mod with 6n6p - some have no issues, others do.

I think it depends on the quality of your power company, some have minor brownouts that stress the transformer from delivering the required current for the 6n6ps, they do sound better if you can get them to work IMO.

You can test by checking your power outlet, should maintain at least 115V's with a 1500W heater on and off.

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #3,291 of 4,278
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a balanced bijou? I've tried to find one but only found the single ended version.

Also does NFB work here? Do you need one pot or two for this balanced NFB set up if applicable. I intend to wire left and right audio volume pot seperately.

Mar 12, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #3,292 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by ujamerstand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pabbi: did you turn up the NFB when you were listening to the HE-5?

Nope, no alterations at all, through my balanced Bijou.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicAngelz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a balanced bijou? I've tried to find one but only found the single ended version.

Also does NFB work here? Do you need one pot or two for this balanced NFB set up if applicable. I intend to wire left and right audio volume pot seperately.

You can either use two stereo pots, or one 4 deck pot. Basically, you need 4 decks in any packaqge. Then look at the Beta22 for the fully balanced wiring diagram.

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #3,293 of 4,278
Oooo picked up the kit today! 12 quid customs (8 of which is a Royal Mail handling fee - and they are still losing millions!), but at least it is here, and I can handle 12 quid. Gonna start assembling it this weekend.

Also, my AKG K701s arrived today; I'm currently testing them out on my M3. Initial impressions show that the MS1000s are no slouch. But I won't make any decisions before I have heard the MS1000s, AKGs and HD650s (and maybe the HD600) all on the Bijou.

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #3,294 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Olli1324 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oooo picked up the kit today! 12 quid customs (8 of which is a Royal Mail handling fee - and they are still losing millions!), but at least it is here, and I can handle 12 quid. Gonna start assembling it this weekend.

Also, my AKG K701s arrived today; I'm currently testing them out on my M3. Initial impressions show that the MS1000s are no slouch. But I won't make any decisions before I have heard the MS1000s, AKGs and HD650s (and maybe the HD600) all on the Bijou.

Mine better turn up soon then! Getting impatient the more I hear of others arriving. Want to start and getting building the casing and everything.

Mar 13, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #3,296 of 4,278
I've decided to use a joshua tree attenuator for my build. However, joshua tree has a very low output impedance. Hence, I've put together a BOM to modify it to output 50K impedance. I did my calculations using the calculator provided by Jos van Eijndhoven. The resistor values are only approximate. The cost of all the parts including the PCB comes to around 100 USD. Cheaper than a goldpoint or DACT, and it has more MANY more steps. Only downfall is that it takes up a bit of space, but it can be side mounted. Any thoughts?

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #3,297 of 4,278
Ping luvdunhill - he has a bit better solution with better impedence matching, from what I can tell - but, better hurry. Read some more about it here.

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #3,298 of 4,278
Mmk, I have populated the boards, and now have a couple of questions.

For cleaning off all the flux residue stuff, is there likely to be a suitable product floating around the house?

I am currently looking at the transforming wiring with my dad. I have the r80-36 r-core. He is debating whether we should paralell the two 6.3v/3A secondaries to provide a good dose of current for the toobs. I am using the EZ81, E88CC and 6N6P. Please advise.

Thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #3,299 of 4,278
Cleaning flux is best done with 97% alcohol, and a toothbrush. It usually takes 3-4 rounds with 97%, and a more with the more common 'rubbing' alcohol. Not sure anything else around the usual house will work.

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #3,300 of 4,278
I use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, pore some in a small tray put the pcb in to soke for a couple of mins then use tooth brush, and then wash off with distilled water, and leave to dry. PCB always come's up looking great nice shiney joints and no water marks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back