Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Jun 20, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #2,656 of 4,278
dont forget, if you are wiring the heater secondaries in parallel, make sure you get them in phase, or I think (and i may be very wrong!) you can use the Ct's.

Jun 20, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #2,657 of 4,278
Thanks adamus, I'll be careful and triple check my wiring.

I also picked up a few 2W power resistors in case the need to drop a few voltages. I'll be doing Regal’s mod right away, and use sip sockets for R2, output and bypass caps (obbligatos in transit). cheers.

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #2,658 of 4,278
This amp sounds better and better the more I listen to it!
ZKOOL- I used that transformer. I rang all the wires to find each set of windings. Then I connected it to 120V and checked the voltages to be absolutely sure because my wire colors didn't match what was on the label. I wrote down the voltages and wire colors, powered down, then did all my connections to the board.

Jun 22, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #2,659 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkroon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This amp sounds better and better the more I listen to it!
ZKOOL- I used that transformer. I rang all the wires to find each set of windings. Then I connected it to 120V and checked the voltages to be absolutely sure because my wire colors didn't match what was on the label. I wrote down the voltages and wire colors, powered down, then did all my connections to the board.

Now that's scary.. I've actually sold the transformer to zkool, but never bother to check it as I have started collecting part for balanced version and this transformer did not have enough power.
From the Bijou veterans here .. knowing that torus transformers are no-no for this kind of build ( or maybe I am wrong), what will be the recommended specs for customer EI? Something like this maybe:

Power transformer 130VA
Primary: 115/230V, 50-60Hz
Sec. 1: 260-0-260V @ 200mA
Sec. 2: 6.3V @ 4A
Qty: 2

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #2,660 of 4,278
Jkroon thanks for the heads up, and zare no worries - all is good.

I’ve plugged the r-core (slo-blow fuse, 1A) but I haven’t tinkered with the tx secondary filaments completely. What i’ve done so far is just measure the windings voltages and other values in reference to the taps (based on the wiring label sticker). All the voltages checks out according to the color/label sticker, though measurements are a bit on the high side (unloaded perhaps).

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #2,661 of 4,278
finally...busting into the Bijou tonight with Regal's Mod and Mundorf output caps. i'm keeping the original chassis and no P2P.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #2,662 of 4,278
Ok folks, I've tinkered and done a bunch of readings with my r-core transformer and after reviewing what others have posted about wiring it up, below is what I think how it all ties up to the PS board and which windings to draw voltages for the heaters (6.3v/12.6v).

Even if you don't own an r-core tx, could you tell from my wiring diagram if this looks right?
redface.gif

zkrcorewiring6v12v.jpg

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #2,665 of 4,278
Well my bijou is nearly there. It's been a long time coming and there have been more than a few issues along the way. Current issue; my B+ is rock steady at 250 VDC right up to the point when I put the 6H6PI tubes in. After connecting the output tubes B+ drops to ~138 VDC and I'm not able to adjust. Thoughts?

Jun 23, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #2,667 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by cgrums /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my bijou is nearly there. It's been a long time coming and there have been more than a few issues along the way. Current issue; my B+ is rock steady at 250 VDC right up to the point when I put the 6H6PI tubes in. After connecting the output tubes B+ drops to ~138 VDC and I'm not able to adjust. Thoughts?

cgrums, I'm sorry to say that this usually means that the mosfets in the PS are blown. This happens if you accidentally short the output of the PS when it's powered up. If you replace them both the PS will probably come back to normal.

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #2,668 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cgrums, I'm sorry to say that this usually means that the mosfets in the PS are blown. This happens if you accidentally short the output of the PS when it's powered up. If you replace them both the PS will probably come back to normal.

Hmm...I was afraid of that. I did for sure fry the mosfets once but replaced both. Might've fried them again. I'll order some more just in case.

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #2,669 of 4,278
A new Bijou came to life last night!
k701smile.gif

He (or she?) was born in Paris, France.
Along with my K701, they need to be burnt in.
But to describe the pre burn-in sound I would say: crisp, warm, detailed, harsh, almost saturated sometimes.

That was fun to build anyway. As you see below, the casing is not particularly fancy. The only specificity might be the quite compact design (it's a 23cmx23cm case)

IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3423.jpg

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #2,670 of 4,278
Proutch,
EXCELLENT!!!
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back