Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Jun 12, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #2,641 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll give R-core R0080-060 a try and hopefully the wiring isn't excessively convoluted to figure out -- I'll post up a wiring diagram once I get it going. cheers.

The wiring is easy peasy, just many wires. Nothing different than others if you mind the colors.

For the 6.3V wires, the easiest thing to do is connect the CT. The black wires for the 2 6.3V windings. This way you can determine phase very easily with a DMM set to measure AC voltage.

Edit: disconnect the black wires after you determine phase especially if you're going for 12.6V. To wire for 12.6V and 6.3V I would use a junction block and you can wire one tube with a series connection and others in a parallel connection.

I used a resistor on the windings to drop some voltage, FWIW, as you're running a 6A xformer and the heater will be a tad high.

Jun 12, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #2,642 of 4,278
Thanks Holland. (..copy and pasting all good info into one 'Bijou' notepad as I peruse the entire thread).

I always find things makes much more sense if I have parts in front of me ...biggest problem I have is over-analyzing things too much
wink.gif
. cheers.

Jun 12, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #2,645 of 4,278
I had to use a 0.22 ohms power resistor to drop the voltage on mine, it was high at around 7.3 if i remeber correctly

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #2,646 of 4,278
Finished building amp. Sounds good, but both channels are buzzing with or without input connected, regardless of volume control setting. Buzzing is louder if I take the cover off.

I was closing the cover and it slipped and banged shut. The noise went away immediately. Now I only hear buzzing when I turn my head to the right. I think my amp is playing mind games with me.

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #2,647 of 4,278
jkroon, does this mean it's quiet now? If not, the symptons might indicated a loose wire or a bad solder joint on one of the PCBs or a bad ground condition somewhere.

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #2,648 of 4,278
I figured it out. It had to do with the routing of the wiring from the RCA jacks to the volume pot. They were laying on the amp boards. I fastened them to the side of the chassis with a sticky block and a zip tie. Now it's dead silent. I left the amp on overnight with some pink noise playing. It sounds much better now than it did last night.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #2,649 of 4,278
Congrats jkroon, sounds like you barely broke a sweat as I recall you were waiting on a kit just two weeks ago
smily_headphones1.gif
I just got through the entire thread and hope to join you soon.

My brother-in-law installs home security systems and gave me 50ft of stranded 18AWG wire (black/white twisted, insulated) unsure know what it's max voltage rating is. Is the wire overkill for the supply voltages and for hookups instead of the recommended 20-22 awg?

Jun 16, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #2,650 of 4,278
Seemingly this might be the best option for an alternate to my B22 build but it's very hard to choose just one Cavalli Tuber!

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #2,651 of 4,278
Quote:

My brother-in-law installs home security systems and gave me 50ft of stranded 18AWG wire (black/white twisted, insulated) unsure know what it's max voltage rating is. Is the wire overkill for the supply voltages and for hookups instead of the recommended 20-22 awg?

it depends on the material of the dielectric. if you can't find out the rated specs, i wouldn't use it for the B+ wire, or for the HT wires off the TX. you can use it for signal wiring though. filament wiring also carries some current - i'm not sure i would use it here either.

you build beautiful but flammable wood enclosures.

ebay seller Navships has teflon SPC for dirt cheap.

Jun 17, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #2,652 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seemingly this might be the best option for an alternate to my B22 build but it's very hard to choose just one Cavalli Tuber!

yes, i want to build another
k701smile.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #2,653 of 4,278
Thanks fishski13.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishski13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it depends on the material of the dielectric. if you can't find out the rated specs, i wouldn't use it for the B+ wire, or for the HT wires off the TX. you can use it for signal wiring though. filament wiring also carries some current - i'm not sure i would use it here either.

Cool. I won't be using them. Thought I could save a few bucks since it's free (btw learned later its rated at 600V). Another thing is after examining the wires, I recall Alex mentioned about the possibility of having troubles while trying to get multiple wire ends into the terminal blocks.

Quote:

you build beautiful but flammable wood enclosures.

compliment or did I just get spanked?
wink.gif
seriously now you've got me concerned. Sometimes folks here overlook that I'm still a complete novice (totally different field of work) and I don't pretend I know what I'm doing, hence the dumb questions. But I'm sticking around and doing my best to learn what I can, so I'd appreciate to know what to do/avoid since I fail to see the hazard or how my enclosures are different from others' wood Bijou cases.

Quote:

ebay seller Navships has teflon SPC for dirt cheap.

Did received a couple of links from balderon pointing to navships listings (20 and 22 AWG) which I had just purchased -- John's stuff are definitely a bargain.

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #2,654 of 4,278
Quote:

Thanks fishski13.

Cool. I won't be using them. Thought I could save a few bucks since it's free (btw learned later its rated at 600V). Another thing is after examining the wires, I recall Alex mentioned about the possibility of having troubles while trying to get multiple wire ends into the terminal blocks.

compliment or did I just get spanked?
wink.gif
seriously now you've got me concerned. Sometimes folks here overlook that I'm still a complete novice (totally different field of work) and I don't pretend I know what I'm doing, hence the dumb questions. But I'm sticking around and doing my best to learn what I can, so I'd appreciate to know what to do/avoid since I fail to see the hazard or how my enclosures are different from others' wood Bijou cases.

Did received a couple of links from balderon pointing to navships listings (20 and 22 AWG) which I had just purchased -- John's stuff are definitely a bargain.

no dumb questions, especially with high voltages. the Bijou is an easy build, but you must be mindful of the dangers of working with these high voltages.

i wouldn't worry about using a wood chassis.

600V is plenty good. yes, even 20 gauge took a bit of effort to squeeze into the Phoenix terminals. don't tin the stripped ends - just give them a tighter twist. a pair of hemostats are handy for inserting into the terminals.

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #2,655 of 4,278
I think I have mostly everything I need to build …except for the kit
tongue.gif

I was expecting to see it today but it never arrived. Guess I’ll have to wait a couple more days until post reopens on Monday.

zkaccessoriesbijou.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back