Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Oct 18, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #1,621 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by steel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to buy some tubes for my Mijou.

6n6p & 6n6p-i which is right?

Thanks..

Both would work fine. 6N6P-i is the the military spec version of the 6N6P.
However the 6N6P-i requires more heater current than the 6N6P (~900mA instead of ~750mA).
I have 6N6P-i in mine, work like a charm.

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #1,622 of 4,278
Source of low price 4uf/450V Kimber caps -- for output by pass

K&K is having some "upgrade pull out" 4uf Kimber caps avaialbe, the ad is here.

They will be good for output by-passing. For $5 a pop they are great bargins (normally sells for $16 each new).

I have not contact K&K to see how many is left. But the original post was from the end of last month so I supposed they should still have some left.

-- update: they have 4 pieces left.

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #1,623 of 4,278
Quote:

I want to buy some tubes for my Mijou.

6n6p & 6n6p-i which is right?

Thanks..

IIRC, 6n6p is the preferred device.

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #1,624 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by huskydawg9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would I benefit with better lower end response by increasing the value of C5 (I'm using 30ohm phones)? Such as 1800uF.

At some point increasing the size of the O/P cap doesn't really buy you much more. The 1db point with 470u is about 6Hz. That's pretty low. Larger caps will make it lower.

However, there are three other caps in the circuit that also matter to LF response: C1, C3, C4. Increasing C1 to even just 22u should help a little. Increasing C3 and C4 to 220n will also lower the bass cutoff.

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #1,625 of 4,278
Srserl, I will definitely be taking Pabbi's amp, but won't know if it will be finished until it is time to go. It is that tight of a deadline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srserl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That might entice me to head over to Burning Amp! I'm looking for a headphone amp project for the new year (that's when I will hopefully finish up everything I have committed
to building now). Please post here if you are definitely going to take it to Burning Amp.

Scott

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #1,626 of 4,278
Ferrari, runeight, thanks...

I just want began to built Mijou
o2smile.gif

6538_s.jpg

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #1,628 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by miky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it’s safe to use C3/C4 (amp) capacitors with 300v voltage rating instead of 400v (I have some vitamin Q 0.68mf/300v)?

This amp is feed by 250V DC, so caps rated at 300V should be fine.
BTW, the actual voltage at C3/C4 is much lower than the PS 250V.
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #1,630 of 4,278
Quote:

I just want began to built my Bijou
o2smile.gif

6538_s.jpg

I see a second transformer-alike thing on the pic, is that a choke or a transformer for the 6.3V heater separately?
Knowing your Dynahi and M³, I’m sure there is a very nice Bijou in the making.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #1,632 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At some point increasing the size of the O/P cap doesn't really buy you much more. The 1db point with 470u is about 6Hz. That's pretty low. Larger caps will make it lower.

However, there are three other caps in the circuit that also matter to LF response: C1, C3, C4. Increasing C1 to even just 22u should help a little. Increasing C3 and C4 to 220n will also lower the bass cutoff.

Increased C1 to 33u. Replaced C3 and C4 with .22uF Clarity caps. It did improve the lower end response (In my case using Grado 325i) , but is probably insignificant for most setups. I imagine this might improve somewhat as the Clarity's break in.

I'd like to hear comments about a comparison between the Bijou and the SOHA2. dBEL84 obviously you've heard both...do you have a comparison somewhere I can reference?

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #1,633 of 4,278
This sounds about right. Dropping the LF corner freq from 8Hz to 5Hz really shouldn't be audible.

I actually have a Bijou and SOHA II. I have yet to compare them because I'm not sure that I can do an unbiased comparison and. But, maybe I'll give it a try.

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #1,634 of 4,278
comparing my bijou to the soha + jisbos (not soha II)...

Bijou, beautiful valvey mids, stunnign highs, very organic. Play something rocky and i want it to have a bit more bite. Its a rolls royce, smooth, elegant, and you can drive it all day.

Soha+ jisbos
Strong bass, very good detail. I listen to it for about 45 minutes before i fire up the bijou, which then stays on for the remainer of the night. more like a mustang, strong and fast. justa it....lifeless compared to the bijou.

IT would be interesting to see measurements, my scientific side thinks the jisbos would have better specs than the bijou. my musical side picks the bijou everytime.

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #1,635 of 4,278
Your scientific sense is probably right but . . .

This depends on the exact configuration of your jisbos. If you are using any of the gain reduction schemes that have been suggested for the buffer, then you are almost certainly supplying a load for the tube that is too small.

If the jisbos is running stock with a 1M resistor at its input it will still show a rapid decrease in Zi with frequency. You are probably hearing this too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back