Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Sep 5, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #1,186 of 4,278
Yeah, the slow power up of tube rectifiers, is a big advantage over the hard slam of High Voltage from solid state rectifiers. While waiting for heaters to provide current flow.

Sep 5, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #1,187 of 4,278
stuffing complete

05092008036yr8.jpg

Looking at the schematic i am fine to leave out d7, led, rled. Just a sanity check, i can just leave this points on the pcb untouched.

Sep 5, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #1,189 of 4,278
cheers. just waiting on wire from navships ebay store, transformer (RCORE) from Hongkong. I have a case from hifi2000. Certainly looking forward to firing this up.

Sep 5, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #1,190 of 4,278
I am finally getting ready to start this build. I bought the kit from Jeff so I have most of the stuff needed. I need to order a transformer.

Is the R Core the recommended over the 270DAX? Where should I order it from? Other than that just a case, I think I might try the nabu for this one.

Nice looking build so far adamus. What hifi2000 case are you getting? those things are sweet.

Thanks
James

Sep 5, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #1,192 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamess71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am finally getting ready to start this build. I bought the kit from Jeff so I have most of the stuff needed. I need to order a transformer.

Is the R Core the recommended over the 270DAX? Where should I order it from? Other than that just a case, I think I might try the nabu for this one.

Nice looking build so far adamus. What hifi2000 case are you getting? those things are sweet.

Thanks
James

This is a good place to get the R-core
Audio Catalog

Sep 7, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #1,195 of 4,278
Looks good to me, mine is quite a bit tighter and no noise problems.

Sep 7, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #1,196 of 4,278
Several sanity check questions before deciding whether to go ahead with a Bijou build [actually, having it built as DIY to me goes as far as tightening a few bolts].

I would get the kits from Jeff @ GlassJar and the transformers from Angela.

But anyway, looking over the thread, it seems that in order to fully incase the amp, the case needs to be over 3.5" high. Hence, I've thought of maybe mounting the tube sockets to the top cover of the case.

1. Would it be possible to bolt the boards to the bottom, and "air-wire" a bunch of top mounted tube sockets?

2. If possible, would these sockets be OK?

9-pin Miniature Socket @ TubeDepot

3. Should I be looking into getting shielded sockets? Or is leaving the tubes exposed OK?

4. Would this wire be good for hookup and "air-wiring" the sockets?

Teflon Coated 20AWG Wire @ TubeDepot

5. Finally, would this wire be good enough for heater and B+ wiring?

Cloth Covered [600V Insulation] 20AWG Wire @ TubeDepot

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #1,197 of 4,278
If you do not air-wire use this socket.
9 Pin PC Mount Socket

Tube shielding is not necessary, just use the above socket, or the one below.

Air wiring is fine, just more effort involved. Then you would use the socket you found here...http://www.tubedepot.com/sk-9pinb.html

Yes, that wire is fine for everything, and you can also use the cloth insulated wire if you wish.

Sep 8, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #1,198 of 4,278
OK, now for some exciting news! Pabbi I have rewired your amplifier with Alps pots and injected a signal for left and right channels with the unbalanced/balanced converter directly into your amp boards. Sounds heavenly. Rich bass, clear highs and mids that are slighty recessed or just not over-done but sounding very good. Unlike your earlier experience, sound is loud in balanced mode. Your stepped attenuators will be checked, out of the circuit and re-installed if all tests good. Background noise is minimal even without the ground mod. Certainly nothing like, the problem I had earlier with my amp. Listened to some light jazz, while enjoying what a balanced Bijou can do. Melted into my chair for the whole cd. So, I will be trying the amp with your stepped attenuators tomorrow night. You mentioned that your preferred balanced source is with the Azur. Are you using phono/phono preamp? thanks :wink:

Sep 8, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #1,199 of 4,278
The Azur is the Cambridge 840c, just an upsampling CDP. But, the news is simply outstanding, and glad you are experiencing what balanced _can_ do... it is just, well, different, and I expect the balanced Bijou will be just about the best possible, with a couple of notable exceptions.

Then, you certainly deserve to hear the Obligatos properly burned in... :wink:

And, seriously, if the pots are problematic, (known) replacements can be delivered in short order.

Question is, would it be so loud to require 250k pots vs 100k (assuming you are using 100k or, perhaps, 50k)?

Sep 8, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #1,200 of 4,278
just to clarify before i order up some tubes - with a Hammond 370 DAZ, has anyone had any issues running these:

EZ81 - 1 A
ECC99 - 600 mA
6Np1 - 800 mA

this gives me 3.8 A on a 3.5 rated transformer.

thanks

PACE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back