Bijou All Tube Futterman Headphone Amplifier
Aug 26, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #1,156 of 4,278
IIRC, the heater secondaries are 3A? I think you'll be ok here too. But as we know the heater voltages can vary. And we'll have to see if you can use the EZ80 or need to try the EZ81. This choice affects the heater current draw.

It is possible to put small resistors in the heater circuit if that turns out to be a problem.

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #1,157 of 4,278
cheers, considering the 370dax will cost me $100, and then i would get stung with customs i think i will go for the r core, save me at least $50, probably more.

Aug 26, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #1,158 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's like tube rolling. How can two tubes of the same type with exactly the same electrode construction and spacings sound different?? But for some reason we think that they do.

So, I don't know . . .

Runeight, Regal, thank you! That's an interesting discussion. I'm not sure that I'm ready to experiment with different capacitors but will keep that in mind.

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #1,159 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeWa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Ferrari, where did you get those from?

Regards

I got those 6N30P-DR as a present along with a couple of 6H8C (1578, metal base) from an old colleague from Ukraine
(we worked together for (AT&T)/Lucent R&D in the 1990s).

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #1,160 of 4,278
You have good friends / colleagues
beerchug.gif
, I still need to get myself a pair to try on the EHHA. From everything I read about them, they sound very good when applied correctly..dB

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #1,161 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got those 6N30P-DR as a present along with a couple of 6H8C (1578, metal base) from an old colleague from Ukraine
(we worked together for (AT&T)/Lucent R&D in the 1990s).

Ukrainians Rock! Those are some great looking and probably great sounding tubes. :wink:

Pabbi, I have started building the unbalanced to balanced converter. I purchased the chips(TL074), caps, resistors and perfboard, today. Give me some time and we will get to the bottom of this problem.

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #1,162 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ukrainians Rock! Those are some great looking and probably great sounding tubes. :wink:

Pabbi, I have started building the unbalanced to balanced converter. I purchased the chips(TL074), caps, resistors and perfboard, today. Give me some time and we will get to the bottom of this problem.

No hurries at all, but I am rather speechless at the extent to which you are having to go... pity shipping the Azur would have been a bit pricey...
wink_face.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #1,163 of 4,278
gents, as i have time and patience on my hands, what are your favourite tubes for the bijou in a reasonable price bracket.

I may aswell go for the best bang for buck from the start.

Cheers

Aug 28, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #1,164 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gents, as i have time and patience on my hands, what are your favourite tubes for the bijou in a reasonable price bracket.

I may aswell go for the best bang for buck from the start.

Cheers

If you end up using the r-core for a power supply you could buy some amperex 8416 tubes for the input. They are supposed to be very similar to the expensive amperex 6922 tube at a fraction of the cost. I use them in my Bijou and they sound very nice but you have to run 12V to the heaters, this is no problem with the r-core. You should be able to find them for $15 - $20 each.

Aug 29, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #1,165 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by willisv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you end up using the r-core for a power supply you could buy some amperex 8416 tubes for the input. They are supposed to be very similar to the expensive amperex 6922 tube at a fraction of the cost. I use them in my Bijou and they sound very nice but you have to run 12V to the heaters, this is no problem with the r-core. You should be able to find them for $15 - $20 each.

Can you supply a wiring diagram for how you wired amperex 8416 and r-core (R0080-036)?

Aug 29, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #1,168 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by miky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you supply a wiring diagram for how you wired amperex 8416 and r-core (R0080-036)?

There will be 4 gray secondary wires that you use for the heaters. Twist two of them together and measure the voltage between the twisted pair and each single pair then measure between the single pairs. When the voltage from the twisted pairs and each of the single pairs measures 6-7 volts and the two single pairs measure 12-14 volts then you have the right combination. I ended up with 14v on my r-core and used a 5 watt 4.7R resistor to drop the voltage down to 12V.

Aug 29, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #1,169 of 4,278
so, just to clarify,

You used 1 secondary to power the rectifier and output heaters, then series that with the other secondary to give the 12 v. Also, i tak it we can just ignore the CT on the heater secondaries?

Could you not have used the 5v taps to get the 12v without resistors?

Aug 29, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #1,170 of 4,278
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so, just to clarify,

You used 1 secondary to power the rectifier and output heaters, then series that with the other secondary to give the 12 v.

Could you not have used the 5v taps to get the 12v without resistors?

To be honest with you I didn't try that. Mazuki would be the one to talk to, he's the one that helped me wire up my R-core.

Edit: I just checked my R-core and there is only one 5v tap, so I'm pretty sure that won't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back