Biggest soundstage in a closed headphone under $300?
May 17, 2012 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

MaximumSandvich

100+ Head-Fier
Soundstage is extremely important to me, which is why I switched to exclusively circumaural headphones. However, I am moving around and in noisy areas alot which restricts me to using closed-back headphones.

So I'm looking for sub-$300 headphones with a closed back and a massive soundstage, and they must have a good reputation for durability.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Also, I have a fiio e7 amp to power the headphones.

May 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 18
AKG K550
Audio Technica ATH-A900X

May 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 18
Great question. I'm very interested in this too! :)

I had the AKG K550 for a brief period of time and some have claimed that it has a soundstage comparable to open headphones. Unfortunately, that was not my experience at all and I sold them off within a week, as I felt my CK10s sounded better in just about every way.

If only my CK10s had a larger soundstage, I think I'd be able to call it quits... but alas, the search continues.

May 17, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 18
Within your rough budget, the Denon D2000 are a good choice. Over your budget, Beyer T70 and Kenwood K1000 are also contenders (T70 = aggressive; K1000 = smooth).

Might try an Ultrasone out at some point too - see if S-LOGIC works for you.

Bose AE1/2 have decent staging as well; lower tier than the above though. So it's a compromise.

May 17, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 18
k550 and w1000 are the two of the biggest and widest soundstage that i heard in a closed can. youll prolly notice it immediately how big the soundstage of the w1000 as soon as you wear it.

note that you can buy a w1000 used and im pretty sure you can get a pair at around 300usd.

May 17, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 18
My old Ultrasone Proline 750's had a pretty big soundstage. With some songs the S-Logic would sound a little odd, but with most songs, it was really interesting. They had a bigger soundstage than my K601's, I felt.

I ultimately had to ditch them since they had pretty recessed mids, but their overall sound was really fun. They worked extremely well for movies and games, too.

The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80's also have pretty big soundstage. They don't have that huge spike to bass and treble that makes the Ultrasones so fun, but their isolation and comfort are much better (they have better mids, too!).

May 17, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
Soundstage is extremely important to me, which is why I switched to exclusively circumaural headphones. However, I am moving around and in noisy areas alot which restricts me to using closed-back headphones.

So I'm looking for sub-$300 headphones with a closed back and a massive soundstage, and they must have a good reputation for durability.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Also, I have a fiio e7 amp to power the headphones.

I've got to listen to closed headphones much of the time - for a variety of reasons.
So over the last few years I've heard many different closed headphones from
AT, Ultrasone, Sony, AKG, Denon...etc...

(No IEM's.)

At this point, it seems to me that "closed back" and "massive soundstage"
just don't exist together.  I think some new technology will be needed for
it to happen.  (S Logic isn't it IMO, but the closed back Ultrasones do have
decent soundstage.)

The AKG 550 have the biggest soundstage I've yet heard in closed headphones.
They're a good listen, and pretty well made.
But they're big and thus not very portable.

I'd like to have a ready answer for the OP - maybe someone else does.
Will be watching this thread with interest.

May 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 18
Another vote for the DT770's for me. Haven't tried a lot of headphones but of the ones I have tried they have the best soundstage. Not too distant that music gets lost but big enough and very fun. 

May 17, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #12 of 18
AKG K550 as has been stated above.

Jul 17, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #14 of 18
in my limited experience, ATH A900 is pretty awesome in soundstage. I always listen classical music with those cans and I love 'em. I've compared it to sennheiser HD380 pro and ATH m50. 
soundstage wise, ATH A900 > Sennheiser HD380 pro > ATH M50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back