Biggest Disappointment Headphone
Jul 20, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #168 of 401
As a fan of headphones like the T1 and HD800, I was looking for something that could bring a little variety and fun to my collection so I settled on the MDR-Z7. Thought it would be nice to have a relaxed, closed back, bass extended headphone around for special occasions. Unfortunately the Z7 turned out to be quite disappointing from my perspective. The bass was a bit sloppy and tended to bleed over into the lower mid range.

I tried dampening the cups, even purchased a Silver Dragon cable. It cleaned up the mess a little but even paired with a neutral amp like the Oppo PH-1, the bass was still not clean nor tight enough for my taste. So I sold the MDR-Z7. kept the Silver Dragon and reterminated it for the Utopia.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #169 of 401
Ok I'll chime in. There are 2 I specially don't like personally. Sony MDR-Z7 & Fostex TH900 .....these are headphones I would never consider good for much of anything other than drowning out noise in the room or place I might be in.

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 21, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #170 of 401
Ok I'll chime in. There are 2 I specially don't like personally. Sony MDR-Z7 & Fostex TH900 .....these are headphones I would never consider good for much of anything other than drowning out noise in the room it place I might be in.

It's crazy how many people have the TH900 in their signature, ranking them over pretty much any other headphone out there. I wonder if it's partly the hype, the looks, and the price (if it's expensive it must be good!). I've never listened to it, though.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #171 of 401
It's crazy how many people have the TH900 in their signature, ranking them over pretty much any other headphone out there. I wonder if it's partly the hype, the looks, and the price (if it's expensive it must be good!). I've never listened to it, though.

It sounds weird because of its extremely aggressive treble. I.e they are polarizing. Most people who hate on them have auditioned them for a time and decided they didn't like them. I wasn't really impressed at first listen, yet after a week or so I had done a complete 180 on them. I don't consider the looks relevant at all, neither the price (they are appropriatly priced). I don't see how a 5 year old product can still really have "hype" behind them. They are simply fantastic headphones that happen to be very polarizing because of their extremely aggressive sound signature. I would call them an acquired taste-

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #172 of 401
For me it's the AKG/Massdrop K7XX... extremely boring and too veiled sounding. Gave them a month and picked up a Philips SHP9500 to compare. Once I got the Phillips SHP9500 it was game over for the K7XX, the SHP9500 does absolutely EVERYTHING better to me and is just about as comfortable stock. And with 3.5mm cable much easier to have as a gaming headset with mic use. K7XX was gladly sold off really quickly. Can't understand the love for the K7XX at all...

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #173 of 401
Focal Utopia
Sony MDR-Z1R
Fostex TH900

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #174 of 401
TH900 in stock form are not the best sound ,, to me at least ,
so i did some of the Lawton mod, and a hell a lot of pad swapping till i settled for best combo with my amp ( you cant believe how its dependent)
i think also they are picky for the record ,, well reordered music sound amazing on them , bad records will sound harsh,
they are kind of a beast needs some taming and some love to unleash its power , best suited with another more forgiving headphone like LCDX or Z1R.

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #175 of 401
TH900 in stock form are not the best sound ,, to me at least ,
so i did some of the Lawton mod, and a hell a lot of pad swapping till i settled for best combo with my amp ( you cant believe how its dependent)
i think also they are picky for the record ,, well reordered music sound amazing on them , bad records will sound harsh,
they are kind of a beast needs some taming and some love to unleash its power , best suited with another more forgiving headphone like LCDX or Z1R.

I'll echo this statement.. I mean, once you get used to them you start accepting quite a lot of bad recordings, but some stuff are just straight unlistenable through the TH 900s even for me (I view myself as the vanguard defence force if Treble attacked earth BTW). I'm looking at 90s hip hop especially for this.

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #176 of 401

Never heard the TH900 but if these are similar to the old D7000s, then yea I can see why they are very polarizing. Loved the D7000s personally after swapping out the earpads, but the extreme V shape is not everyone's cup of tea.

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #177 of 401
Never heard the TH900 but if these are similar to the old D7000s, then yea I can see why they are very polarizing. Loved the D7000s personally after swapping out the earpads, but the extreme V shape is not everyone's cup of tea.

TH 900 are less V-shaped than the D7Ks but much more offensive in the treble imo.

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #178 of 401
Here's my headphone progression over the past 15 years: Koss UR40, HD497, DT880, ATH-M50, Denon D2000, Denon D7200

I would say the most disappointing were the DT880, followed by the D7200 (only because of diminishing returns at this price point, D7200 are still quite good)

Least disappointing probably the HD497 and ATH-M50

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #179 of 401
Here's my headphone progression over the past 15 years: Koss UR40, HD497, DT880, ATH-M50, Denon D2000, Denon D7200

I would say the most disappointing were the DT880, followed by the D7200 (only because of diminishing returns at this price point, D7200 are still quite good)

Least disappointing probably the HD497 and ATH-M50

Yeah nah there is no such thing as diminishing returns until you start purchasing 2000$ dacs.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #180 of 401
Fostex TH-500RP - In a review, Steve Guttenberg essentially these were the best headphones available at their price point. No bass, no treble, no detail, no nothing. He lost all credibility for me with this headphone. I paid half-price for this headphone, and felt markedly ripped off.
Sennheiser HD700 - The treble spike is so bad, I would wince after the music stopped playing. 'S' sounds were "SSHHHH", and "k" sounds were "CCCCHHHHHHH". Anybody who likes this headphone is just being a contrarian.
Audeze LCD-3F - Not that these sounded bad, but I found them disappointing. They were a grain-free version of the LCD-2.2, and didn't feel that it was worth the investment. They were the sonic equivalent of this:
e3a0ce965f08654bceb873a77a7ffda7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back