Biggest Disappointment Headphone
Jul 19, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #136 of 401
Good choice! They are the best choice in your neck of the woods ....have fun & good luck!
Can you recommend anyone in the Salt Lake City area?

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #137 of 401
this is one of my main gripe with the online headphone community - I think there is way too little focus on music genres...sub bass vs mid bass and the important difference. I think by design a headphone with "perfect" bass for EDM cannot possibly be perfect for other genres.
How often have we read the following exchange? "Bass on this can sucks! There's no bass!" "Are you nuts? These headphones have awesome bass! Maybe you just need a better amp." I often wonder whether they are talking about totally different frequencies, as well as what kind of bass is good for completely different genres of music.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #138 of 401
I think I understand what you are saying. I have several pairs of HP's that I bought new and ended up not caring for and did not return. It takes me more than a couple of weeks to really get a feel for them. Returning items is almost as difficult for me as trying items out. So I will just sell HP'S as used at some point. Again unless you live on one of the coast areas or large midwest cities, it is really hard to try out headphones as you state.
So my question is, do you offer to sell headphones to members here with option to return item in said amount of time until member finds a phone he wants to own ? Member of coarse would pay shipping !

Our return policy isn't like you might expect. If you are not sure of your purchase we have an audition program on lots of products that makes your scenario moot.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 19, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #139 of 401
Can you recommend anyone in the Salt Lake City area?

Sorry but not yet. We look for companies to recommend all the time. Our recommendation list is based on quality customer service, product expertise, product variety and community participation. The closest to you unfortunately is us and Listen Up in Colorado right now. Our list of good headphone showroom dealers is getting better but we can always use more so if you experience one in your area we'd love to know about them so that we can add them to our recommended list of showroom dealers with demo capabilities. If they have poor product knowledge or use pushy sales techniques we don't want to know about them. We want dealers on the list that treat HeadGear enthusiasts with the same respect as 2 channel or theater enthusiasts.

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 20, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #140 of 401
Our return policy isn't like you might expect. If you are not sure of your purchase we have an audition program on lots of products that makes your scenario moot.

I would love to hear more about this audition program. I'm a completely happy owner of an 800S, that I consider to be the best dynamic headphone of all time, not counting $50,000 indulgent headphones. So my only interest now is in the Planar realm.

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #141 of 401
I wasn't trying to be a smart as#, I was wanting to know how your business operates. I very much favor supporting small business when it is a viable option !

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #142 of 401
I would love to hear more about this audition program. I'm a completely happy owner of an 800S, that I consider to be the best dynamic headphone of all time, not counting $50,000 indulgent headphones. So my only interest now is in the Planar realm.

If you want an excellent planar, and semi-easy to amp grab the HE-500.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #143 of 401
If you want an excellent planar, and easy to amp grab the HE-500.

I love my HE-500. How do the T1 and other high-end cans you've tried compare?

Thanks

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #144 of 401
HE-500 is absolutely up there with the best of them. T1 as well. I'm talking in terms of high fidelity and resolution. I think the HE-500 does better in bass and Midrange. The T1 has incredible highs and extension... I really appreciate the overall balance on the T1.

Both of those are special and you can get each (semi) reasonably price wise.

I have not tried the summit cans like Abyss, Utopia, etc because I could not justify those prices personally.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #145 of 401
HE-500 is absolutely up there with the best of them. T1 as well. I'm talking in terms of high fidelity and resolution. I think the HE-500 does better in bass and Midrange. The T1 has incredible highs and extension... I really appreciate the overall balance on the T1.

Both of those are special and you can get each (semi) reasonably price wise.

I have not tried the summit cans like Abyss, Utopia, etc because I could not justify those prices personally.

Have you tried Stax? I'm thinking that could be a worthwhile qualitative change rather than a simple "sidegrade" or "slight change of tonality".

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #146 of 401
Have not tried stax. I listen to lots of edm and modern stuff, im not sure stax are the best for that, like bass impact and such.

They can also be pretty expensive when you consider you need the special amp with them.

I would like to try a pair sometime, but not interested enough to buy them. I'm sure they sound totally awesome though based on people's reactions to them.

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #147 of 401
The Monoprice M560 is my biggest disappointment and they are the hardest headphones on this earth to return. The brand sucks as I got a $20 pair of in ears returned and then sent back to me in the amount of time it's taken to deal with the mess that is Monoprice though E-mail.

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #148 of 401
Pretty condescending comment. It's very difficult for some people to be able to sample an expensive headphone, which is WHY they come to places like Head-Fi to find reviews and opinions about them. It's not like you can just waltz into your local Best Buy and get to demo a Utopia or He 1000 v2. In fact, if it was that easy, sites like Head-Fi would probably not exist.

I stand to my point that if you buy an Utopia or HE1000V2 ONLY based on reviews and then don't like them, respecively find them "your biggest disappointment" (what this thread is obviously all about), you should think twice next time.
Disappointment comes from having wrong/too high expectations. When spending 3000$+ on a headphone you never heard yourself there is a pretty good chance to get disappointed, because reviews are often overly positive and highly depending on personal taste. Also if you buy something so expensive people automatically have their expectations high up.

I get that for some people it is more difficult than for others to demo high end headphones, but according to my experience most people would never put as much effort in trying to demo an expensive headphone as they put effort into reading about them.
If you spent 20 hours reading through posts on headfi trying to find out how a headphone sounds like and did NOT spend 20 hours by calling hifi-shops, calling import companies, contacting fellow headphone enthusiasts in your country or trying to find people on head-fi or other audio forums who live nearby or try anything else in that time to find this headphone so you can demo it, then I guess this prooved my point.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #149 of 401
I stand to my point that if you buy an Utopia or HE1000V2 ONLY based on reviews and then don't like them, respecively find them "your biggest disappointment" (what this thread is obviously all about), you should think twice next time.
Disappointment comes from having wrong/too high expectations. When spending 3000$+ on a headphone you never heard yourself there is a pretty good chance to get disappointed, because reviews are often overly positive and highly depending on personal taste. Also if you buy something so expensive people automatically have their expectations high up.

I get that for some people it is more difficult than for others to demo high end headphones, but according to my experience most people would never put as much effort in trying to demo an expensive headphone as they put effort into reading about them.
If you spent 20 hours reading through posts on headfi trying to find out how a headphone sounds like and did NOT spend 20 hours by calling hifi-shops, calling import companies, contacting fellow headphone enthusiasts in your country or trying to find people on head-fi or other audio forums who live nearby if any of them has this headphone so you can demo it, then I guess this prooved my point.

It's not that simple. For example, I live in a tiny country with no headphone audiophile community and there isn't even a Stax distributor. The only way for me to try them out would be to buy them from the United States and have them shipped to a forwarder in Miami, then pay import and handling fees.

Jul 20, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #150 of 401
It's not that simple. For example, I live in a tiny country with no headphone audiophile community and there isn't even a Stax distributor. The only way for me to try them out would be to buy them from the United States and have them shipped to a forwarder in Miami, then pay import and handling fees.

I never said it's simple, I know it's not easy for everyone. What I said is that people should put as much effort into trying to demo high end headphones as they put into reading forums. If you already spent more time trying of what I mentioned above to find a headphone to demo and still could'nt find one, and going to headphone meet is for some reason out of question, then you might just have to take the chance and be aware you might get disappointed. If you don't wanna take that chance stick with headphones you can demo :) That's my advice anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back