Biggest Disappointment Headphone
Jul 21, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #184 of 401
This thread is great! So far it's been a place we can express our opinions without getting flamed, I hope it remains that way.

Hopefully there is safety in numbers! :ksc75smile:

I think that when we don't like something that we should constructively criticize it - as not to needlessly upset those who may like it or are stuck with it.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #185 of 401
Focal Utopia
Sony MDR-Z1R
Fostex TH900

Is that a budget issue? I understand the 900 but it's difficult not to appreciate the quality of the Z1R and the Utopia ....I can understand push back on money if that's your reason for listing these.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 21, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #186 of 401
Two headphones come up to mind: HD800 and LCD-3 Pre-Fazor

HD800 - I bought this headphone simply because it sounded so well with orchestral music, but then I realized that that made it a very limiting headphone. Furthermore, the clinical and extremely detailed sound signature made me listen to the technical aspects of music rather than the emotional parts. I don't think I ever bobbed my head when listening through the HD800. It's a shame because the comfort was spectacular and its sound signature will never (knock on wood) be replicated. It is a unique headphone that requires a unique setup and particular music for it to be used. I'm just not willing to put in that amount of money into a headphone setup .. just yet.

LCD-3 Pre-Fazor - I own the LCD-2 Rev. 2 headphone and became interested in the thought of having an increased soundstage, more tamed treble, and smoother mid-range. The result was a very uninvolving listening experience -- I knew this wouldn't change, and this realization came to me mid-way through the first track that I listened to. In all honesty I feel that someone would get a better deal in finding a used Alpha Prime. Same dull signature with even more detail, better 3D imaging, more impactful and punchier bass, and better comfort. I also couldn't help feeling a sense of frustrating that Audeze would have the audacity to charge their customers a near $2000 price-tag for what I felt was a further departure from their original house sound. Not surprisingly, I just bought the LCD-2 Rev. 1 Pre-Fazor headphone to experience Audeze sound in its original scope.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #187 of 401
Most of the headphones mentioned in here are above my pay grade, so I'm going to miss out on a lot of disappointment it seems. My entry into this thread is the HD6XX. Not that they are bad headphones, they have some fine qualities. They just tended to put me to sleep, even on energetic music. There wasn't enough magic in the upper mids to keep me interested in the rest.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #188 of 401
I'm actually looking at the JVC Victor HP-DX1000 for this exact purpose - I am hoping they are more boosted in the midbass area and have an overall more bassy presentation in stock form. I also am looking at them for a pair of more relaxed headphones (TH900 are very aggressive and engaging, but I wouldn't call them relaxing).

Now, I don't view myself as a basshead... But if I'm gonna listen to bass music, it better have some awesome bass. The TH900, which is viewed as fantastic headphones for bass, is far too close to neutral in its bass response to be considered bass-monsters. This of course makes them fantastic for essentially all other genres, but at the cost of not being *the best* at bass-centric music. Now imagine some poor sap getting HD600s or something as allrounders, how disappointed he will be when he puts on some deep rumbling UK bass music LOL

Dx1000 might be just want you want. Relaxed it is... ample bass and huge soundstage compared to closed and open headphones. Nice you mentioned hd600 as a no go allrounders... Many years ago I upgraded from hd600 to dx1000. I still appreciate hd600 but dx1000 has more bass, more soundstage, and less veil... I would not say dx1000 is more detailed than hd600 but it definately sounds more high end and clearer. Compared to an open back headphone it is something :) At the same time it is even smoother than hd600... Dx1000 is a very hard headphone to describe. It is either love it or hate it stuff. Some hear reverbs, some hear lifelike speakers in an actual room etc. I hope you get your hands on a pair it is definately a headphone to hear like it or not.

As for biggest headphone disappointments. T5p...not bad but for half the original price of t5p dx1000 and sony cd3000 are superior. Also Akg k701 comes to mind. I liked k501 better. Of headphones I've only auditioned... Oppo pm3, hifiman he-400i. Just because it is planar doesn not make it great. I have $100 chi-fi headphones that sound better by quite a margin. GS2000e, nice for rock sucks for classical. I know it's a grado thing but at such a price one could except some sort of all rounder ability. Pretty much everything by major brands sub $150 price. $30 superlux compare to anything by sennheiser, beyer and such under $100.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #189 of 401
Is that a budget issue? I understand the 900 but it's difficult not to appreciate the quality of the Z1R and the Utopia ....I can understand push back on money if that's your reason for listing these.

Not a budget or quality issue.

Didn't like the sound.

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #190 of 401

The thread is "biggest disappointment" so what would price have to do with any of it lol

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #191 of 401
Hopefully there is safety in numbers! :ksc75smile:

I think that when we don't like something that we should constructively criticize it - as not to needlessly upset those who may like it or are stuck with it.

Speaking of which... :)

Why was the AKG K812 disappointing? I see it's at the top of your gear list in your profile.

Thanks

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #192 of 401
This thread is great! So far it's been a place we can express our opinions without getting flamed, I hope it remains that way.

It's great for saving money! :p

So far no one has found the Stax L300 disappointing. It might be a sign that I should get one...

Jul 21, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #193 of 401
The thread is "biggest disappointment" so what would price have to do with any of it lol

As a dealer I like to understand people's impressions and how they come to conclusions. End of line!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jul 21, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #195 of 401
I think the biggest disappointment I've had recently is the Audeze Sine.

It's not because it's a bad sounding headphone, it isn't, but it's not up to the level it should be for the price, and it's pretty unsuited to mobile use, which is how I saw it as being marketed.

Other issues with it is that the black anodized colour (or is it paint, I'm not sure) chips way too easily, it really needs at least the cipher cable or another external DAC/Amp to achieve good listening levels, and don't get me started on that atrocious unwieldy cable that ships with it.

I've had it over a year now, and it's had at most around 4 hours of head-time, which is rather telling as I'm generally all over a new purchase.

That said I'm not selling it as I see it as I now see it as well worth it's price as a very visible reminder on my Shelf of Shame to not be drawn into over hyped kit again.

I bought Sines for 250 USD, and I a, happy with them as office phones. My only regret is indeed the cable, as it is difficult to get a custommade with these connectors... and yes, mojo helps to get best of them...

As for myself, my biggest let-down were my first "better" headphones, senns 555. I have read all the praise, saved for them, and... kept getting back to koss plugs. Later I enjoyed dt880, he560, and found out quality in balance, not bass. Still have the 555s around, try them every now and then, and still do not like them. Don't know why. I haven't tried sennheisers since....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back