Bicycle-Fi!
Nov 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #2,011 of 4,419
Quote:
The Shimano crank is more for comfort bikes rather than a mountain bike so they won't stand up to the abuse as well, as for the other one I have never heard of them so can't really comment on it. You don't have to limit yourself to a crank made purely for a single speed either like the ones you linked to, for your standard three chain ring crank you can just remove the outer most ring and replace it with a bash guard then remove the inner most ring so you are only left with the middle one.  I have always been a fan of Shimano cranks and have been clinging to my XT one now for now because you can't get them in the style I have anymore unfortunately, for a crank you would be better off with this one:

http://www.wiggle.fr/pedalier-triple-shimano-fc-m590-deore-9-vitesses-44322-dents/

The prices on parts in France seem to be marked up pretty high, the crank above can be had for $50 in the US, about half the price if you convert currency.  Seeing as you are ordering a lot of parts it might be worth ordering through a site like this: http://www.cambriabike.com/    which ships internationally, but shipping is on the high side so unless you are ordering a lot it doesn't really make sense.

Thanks,

The local surly distributor told me that the frame (1x1) would be mine for 500 euros (640 usd) so It's gonna be hard to fit everything else into my budget.. What should I do? go for a lesser frame? buy budget parts and keep the surly? I've tried to find an used one but I've got no result so far.
Quote:
If you live in France, bike parts prices are cheaper in this site:

http://www.alltricks.fr/vtt/pedaliers-boitiers/pedaliers-manivelles-9v/shimano-pedalier-complet-deore-9v-hollowtech-ii-fc-m590-223244-175mm-boitier-310-1173.html

They also have a store in St. Quentin-en-Yvelines where you can directly buy them. Excellent customer service and the store staff are very knowledgeable and helpful.
But I'd also advice you to get a one ring crank for a single speed bike. I don't know much about the road bike parts but  Raceface Face is a MTB brand which is a bit expensive but light weight & highly durable.

The new 2013 Shimano Zee is also a good crankset.
check your frame's bottom bracket type first before buying a crankset.
Hope this helps!

Check your frame's bottom bracket type first before buying a crankset.
Hope this helps!

Thanks for the input. St quentin en yvelines isn't very far from me, something like 50kms I believe. I'm looking at what they have in stock right now.

Thanks again.

Nov 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #2,012 of 4,419
You can make any bike frame into a single speed but a hardtail would not only be cheaper but you wouldn't need a chain tensioner.  It might be better to get a frame meant for gears and convert it that way if you don't like the single speed life you can just throw a deraileur on it same idea with the crank, just throw the rings on it an go.  If you were to leave the rings on the crank and have a chain tensioner in the back an you could manually shift the chain in the front if you get lazy and have to climb a hill it might be easier.  There is nothing wrong with running a crank meant for use with multiple gears and will be better because you can run a bashguard so your pants don't get caught in the gears if you don't roll them up or something.  Also, even on that other website, the prices are still much more than what you would pay in the US so it would make sense to order all the parts from here if you can get them from the same place so you could get better parts for the price.

Nov 10, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #2,013 of 4,419
Finally got my new seat in (Selle An-Atomica Titanico X) yesterday to complete my commuter/touring build:

xFpcK.jpg

Fairly standard. Surly Disc Trucker 58cm with the usual touring upgrades (Fenders, Topeak Rack, Ortlieb Backrollers, Lights and Computer) plus the Titanico Saddle and Shimano M-530 pedals. Thus far it's been rock solid regardless of how much weight I've thrown at it. Who needs a second car when you have a bike?

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #2,015 of 4,419
Not the best photo in the world from my iPhone 4S but I finally installed my Revolights on my bike (and that's not me...I was the photographer). Only 4xRevolights in Japan :D :-

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #2,016 of 4,419
An interesting concept, but still no replacement for a good headlight and taillight (at least one of which is missing in that pic). I'd also recommend a jacket in some color other than jack. Riding at night can be fun, IF other people can clearly see you.

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #2,017 of 4,419
Quote:
An interesting concept, but still no replacement for a good headlight and taillight (at least one of which is missing in that pic). I'd also recommend a jacket in some color other than jack. Riding at night can be fun, IF other people can clearly see you.

Well tonight it definitely attracted a lot of attention (and someone even offered me $1200 on the spot for it!) but I politely declined.

I'd guess you've Googled Revolights and looked at some pix 'cos my iPhone 4S doesn't do it much justice. For Tokyo city use, so far no problems at all since it's such a brightly lit city anyway but more like the light design actually attracts attention despite the (city lights) information overload.

For  more dark areas, I do agree that a stronger headlight/taillight should be used (which I do have but switched off for the above pix).

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #2,018 of 4,419
Quote:
Quote:

Well tonight it definitely attracted a lot of attention (and someone even offered me $1200 on the spot for it!) but I politely declined.

I'd guess you've Googled Revolights and looked at some pix 'cos my iPhone 4S doesn't do it much justice. For Tokyo city use, so far no problems at all since it's such a brightly lit city anyway but more like the light design actually attracts attention despite the (city lights) information overload.

For  more dark areas, I do agree that a stronger headlight/taillight should be used (which I do have but switched off for the above pix).

Thanks for the report! The Revolights video makes it look more than cool and *shows* a very effective system. That especially from the side which is the biggest weakness of most conventional light systems, and its rear view looks great as well. The one thing for me is it has so many parts! I wouldn't mind if it was a 3-5min assembly/disassembly.

I like really the concept. I'll have revisit the Revolights after I see how my night riding use develops for the SS commuter I'm building.

Right now for the rear I'm using the Dinotte 300R. There are two flashing modes where the light goes into a low power setting between strobes. The light doesn't go dark between strobes. 

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #2,019 of 4,419
Quote:

Thanks for the report! The Revolights video makes it look more than cool and *shows* a very effective system. That especially from the side which is the biggest weakness of most conventional light systems, and its rear view looks great as well. The one thing for me is it has so many parts! I wouldn't mind if it was a 3-5min assembly/disassembly.

I like really the concept. I'll have revisit the Revolights after I see how my night riding use develops for the SS commuter I'm building.

Right now for the rear I'm using the Dinotte 300R. There are two flashing modes where the light goes into a low power setting between strobes. The light doesn't go dark between strobes. 

Thx for the Dinotte 300R shots! I've seen the product page before but not seen "real life" use. I considered using some really bright 1700 lumens lights (Light 'n Motion) 'cos some of the drivers here in Tokyo are just oblivious to cyclists but in the end thought blinding them ain't such a good idea too :wink:.

The installation of the Revolights is...(ahem)...experimental. It took me quite a few hours but really once I knew how it worked and what I had to do probably a 60 - 90 min job. I don't know how it works but (without a magnet!!) it knows it's orientation. Almost like some kinda level meter that it knows whether it's on the right way up or upside down - yes it'll light differently if it were upside down.

I still may put on a brighter front and back light and use it as a high beam for @!#$@# drivers. Having said that, big cities seem to have a problem of information overload - too many lights everywhere in a small dense area. Believe it or not, at a distance it's easy to mistake a building neon light for car lights and vice versa - especially when roads curve and if it's hilly - that's what I mean by information overload at night.

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #2,020 of 4,419
Quote:

I'm not sure yet about the tires.. it's getting pretty rainy around here so road tires like continental's sport contact aren't a safe bet anymore.

Take a look at the Schwalbe Marathon Racer. I have used the Conti's in the past and run the Schwalbe's on my Surly Cross Check right now. If I had to choose again, I'd go with the Schwalbe's...

Other tires I used in the past few years:
- Schwalbe Marathon Plus (good grip under all conditions, very puncture resistant, very comfy, but weigh a ton, this set is still going strong on my wife's bike)
- Schwalbe Big Apple (great comfort, almost like riding suspension, wont fit all frames/forks, biggest downside to me was that while it looks like a mtb tire (width wise) it can't handle abuse like a mtb tire... In other words, don't do 8" drops to flat on concrete when you weigh over 270lbs and you're running Big Apples...)
- Continental Zeta (Crazy long life, they outlasted the bike I had them on (a Cube SL Road), cheap, marginally less slippery in the wet than SportContacts)
- Vredestein Perfect Moiree (Have these on my recumbent, so hard to compare to the others, good cornering grip but wear out quite fast)

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #2,022 of 4,419
Quote:

Thx for the Dinotte 300R shots! I've seen the product page before but not seen "real life" use. I considered using some really bright 1700 lumens lights (Light 'n Motion) 'cos some of the drivers here in Tokyo are just oblivious to cyclists but in the end thought blinding them ain't such a good idea too :wink:.

snip...

I still may put on a brighter front and back light and use it as a high beam for @!#$@# drivers. Having said that, big cities seem to have a problem of information overload - too many lights everywhere in a small dense area. Believe it or not, at a distance it's easy to mistake a building neon light for car lights and vice versa - especially when roads curve and if it's hilly - that's what I mean by information overload at night.

Thanks again for the Revolight info. I'll consider it later for a permanent setup.

You speak accurately about lighting and visibility in city nights. We can only cover so many theoretical scenarios with our light systems, and it always seems the drivers who hit bikes would probably hit a 2000 lumen christmas tree as well. 

Nov 12, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #2,023 of 4,419
I use a two 1000 lumen lights one on my bike, one on the helmet when I ride at night as well as bright, strobing red light on my seat post that way if some idiot hits me I can call BS on whatever story he tries to give the police on why he didn't see me.  I've been yelled at to turn down my lights before because they thought I was a car which is exactly my intent.  If you don't like it then don't stare into the light just as you wouldn't stare at an oncoming cars headlights.  Anybody else have problems with drivers on the rode? Just about every time I go for a ride on the road at least one driver has to flip **** on me for no reason and I have no idea what to do about them so I just smile and wave, probably not the best idea as it just makes them more angry but I find it hard to get "creative" when I'm on a bike and their in a big ass SUV.

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #2,024 of 4,419
Quote:
Those Revo lights look cool and I'm tempted to get some for my road bike.  Do you know if they would fit on deep-v rims, I have the velocity deep-Vs on my bike, would they work with those rims?

There's limited support for Deep-V's :-

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/revolights/revolights-join-the-revolution/posts/335363

Quote:
I use a two 1000 lumen lights one on my bike, one on the helmet when I ride at night as well as bright, strobing red light on my seat post that way if some idiot hits me I can call BS on whatever story he tries to give the police on why he didn't see me.  I've been yelled at to turn down my lights before because they thought I was a car which is exactly my intent.  If you don't like it then don't stare into the light just as you wouldn't stare at an oncoming cars headlights.  Anybody else have problems with drivers on the rode? Just about every time I go for a ride on the road at least one driver has to flip **** on me for no reason and I have no idea what to do about them so I just smile and wave, probably not the best idea as it just makes them more angry but I find it hard to get "creative" when I'm on a bike and their in a big ass SUV.

In my selfishness I have to agree with you...if I had bright lights, it's not like I'd be having them on all the time but occasionally flick them on (just like how cars flick on their high beams occasionally). The difference is that if you're a car and they hit into it'll just be a car-2-car damage. However if you're a bike, the result of the accident could be quite different.

Next time a driver flips *** on you, blow them a kiss :D. Tell them you thought it was a mating call.

Nov 13, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #2,025 of 4,419
The difference is that if you're a car and they hit into it'll just be a car-2-car damage. However if you're a bike, the result of the accident could be quite different.

But if they see a set of oncoming lights they are not going to drive at them or make an attempt to cut them off, but if they see your on a bike then they think you have to stop for them or that your going slow and they need to get out ahead of you.  The lights hide what you really are until you are in front of them.

I like your idea of dealing with angry drivers, might have to try that next time I get the chance.  This morning some ass hole was trying to see how close he could drive along side me today and even when I slowed down he slowed with me, suffice to say his truck now has a nice imprint of my cleated shoe on the side door and if he wants to call the police on me I will be more than happy to talk to them, it's people like that that piss the hell out of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back