Bicycle-Fi!
May 19, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #976 of 4,419

Quote:
@tonym:

what type of bikes are those?

I'm 5'5, what size of a bike would you guys recommend?

The first one looks like it says "cyrene". Never heard of it, but the engraving screams expensive steel/titanium. I'd be curious to hear about it as well.

May 22, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #979 of 4,419
^ Who makes that bike?
wink.gif

May 22, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #982 of 4,419
I still have my 1990 Cannondale 3.0 in teal w/ a full Shimano Dura Ace 7 speed set-up (shifters on the downtube). The original wheels w/ Dura Ace hubs were stolen so it is fitted w/ Campy C-Record Hubs and wheels (sew-ups). Cheers!

May 22, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #984 of 4,419
to answer my question about my height and bike height.  I went to my LBS(local bike shop) and sat on a 54cm Specialized road bike and I have to say, I fit quite comfortably on it.  I adjusted the seat height by 3 inches less(the lbs has it at its maximum height).
BTW the bike is an S-Works or Tarmac model(not sure but the color is white) bike that has a cf frame @ only $850(probably a 2009 model). I'm saving money as we speak
beerchug.gif
 Hope that helps for anyone confused about the bike size.  You can check the size of the bike by looking on the frame(the vertical straight one)

May 23, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #985 of 4,419
Cannondale F400 (not too bad in the logo sticker dept)

Purchased in 1996. After a brief stint mb-ing, I replaced the stock tires with road-style ones (in pic), and have used it for around-the-town, & light trail riding since. The aluminum frame is great for lugging up & down the stairs in my building. Been toying with the idea of replacing the uni-shock with a carbon hard fork to get better force transfer on pavement. Not sure if it's worth the $$'s though.

May 23, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #986 of 4,419
I think stiff fork is much better in city. I swapped my forks to carbons and never looked back..
(its a 29er fork and it still feels like I have a couple of inch of movement)

May 25, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #987 of 4,419
Hey all.  I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to bikes, so any input is welcome.  My old Peugeot that I have been using the last two years is falling apart.  My girlfriend found it for me before I came to Germany.  Here they put an orange tag on bikes that have been sitting around forever to be taken away by the city, so no she didn't steal it lol.  I am really sad to see it go, but all the components are going to hell.  I don't really want to invest money in new components because the frame is all dented and dinged, with rust in various parts.

I use the bike for city riding only, maybe a few dirt paths here and there, but nothing really like mountain biking.  I was looking at Bikedirect.com at the Motobecane Elite and Cafe Express 8.  I want to mount fenders on the bike because it rains a lot here, and I don't like getting all the street water on me or the bike.  Only the Elite (of all the Hybrid options) says it has fender eyelets on fork and frame.  The Cafe Express 8 only has fender eyelets on the fork, and says it doesn't have them on the frame itself.  Does this make it impossible to mount fenders on it (I don't like clip or strap ons)?  Are these good choices, and would I gain anything significant by spending a few hundred more dollars?

Also, I will be going back to the US in August to pick it up, and bringing it back here with me.  Does anyone have experience with shipping bikes to the EU, like cheapest way to get it over?

Thanks in advance!!

May 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #988 of 4,419
May 26, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #989 of 4,419

Quote:
Ignore my questions in my last post.  I found out all I needed to know.  Maybe you all could help me out with my decision.  Almost all the hybrid bikes have the eyelets needed.  My choices now are between three bikes.  Anyone have any experience with any of them?
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/cafe_latte_x.htm
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/cafe_express8.htm
http://bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/motobecane_elitefs_IX2.htm

If you use the bike only in the city but in all weather condition this one seems like a good choice :
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/cafe_express8.htm

It has internal gearing, which is easy to clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back