Bicycle-Fi!
Mar 31, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #947 of 4,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by singular /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, a 2000 era bike is likely to be designed for an 80mm fork max, possibly even 60. The measurement to compare is from the centre of the wheel axle to the bottom of the crown race (where the lower bearing seats on the fork). If it is more than an inch I would think twice about fitting it. This would slacken the bike quite a bit and change how it handles quite dramatically. The bike which fits you perfectly now no longer will.

Luckily it looks like the difference is very small, probably less than 1 cm.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Set the air pressure at the mfrs recommendation for your weight and take it from there by feel. I'm guessing the 'solo air' means there is no negative spring ('specced for Performance' I suspect means simpler and cheaper for them...) so you don't need to worry about that. Basic forks lack the adjustability of better forks, so you can just get the right pressure, set the rebound damping to a level that feels right, then go ride it. Perhaps ask the shop if the can help you get the initial settings close, then tinker from there.

Thanks! Solo air, according to Rock Shox, means that both the negative and positive chambers are filled via a single valve. And by "spec'd for Performance" I meant that it was spec'd for a bike shop chain in the U.S. called Performance Bicycle. Sorry, I forgot that Performance Bicycle stores are only in some states/countries!
biggrin.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #948 of 4,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlawdon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ride...2009 Cervelo P2

4295855232_c259738220_o.jpg

Sweet ride! I started doing triathlons again after a 15 year break. Looking in to getting a tri-bike this season. Cervelo or Felt.

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #950 of 4,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet ride! I started doing triathlons again after a 15 year break. Looking in to getting a tri-bike this season. Cervelo or Felt.

Thanks! I am more of a time trial cyclist as I don't swim nor run along with my weight training background. But I love the fact that time trial bikes allow you to be in the fastest and more aerodynamic riding position to cut through the air and wind. It's fast...when I do my part.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #951 of 4,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by outlawdon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! I am more of a time trial cyclist as I don't swim nor run along with my weight training background. But I love the fact that time trial bikes allow you to be in the fastest and more aerodynamic riding position to cut through the air and wind. It's fast...when I do my part.
smily_headphones1.gif

I love how the seat tube has the cut out for the rear wheel on it.

BTW, is the seat post adjustable or is it permanently cut to height?

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #952 of 4,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raguvian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love how the seat tube has the cut out for the rear wheel on it.

BTW, is the seat post adjustable or is it permanently cut to height?

Yes, it's adjustable. Here's the two screws that hold the seat in place...

P2C130.jpg

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #953 of 4,425
Question to the bicycle-fiers. How do you patch a tire so the tube does not jut out? Was riding today in beautiful 24 Celsius weather, when the tube stuck out too much from the lacerated tire, and I had a shameful walk home.

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #955 of 4,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by gore.rubicon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question to the bicycle-fiers. How do you patch a tire so the tube does not jut out? Was riding today in beautiful 24 Celsius weather, when the tube stuck out too much from the lacerated tire, and I had a shameful walk home.

Boot the tire with a dollar bill, it will get you home.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #957 of 4,425
Trying to get back into biking. Here's my ride (not nearly as nice as the other bikes on here, but I love it).

2000 GT Aggressor. Pretty much stock except for the fork ('09 Rock Shox Tora 318 Solo Air) and the tires. Next upgrade will be front disc brake and a new front wheel (to accommodate the new brakes). I hear that real mountain bikers don't use fenders, but I'm no hardcore biker!
wink.gif

IMG00129-20100405-1454%20copy.jpg

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #958 of 4,425
What do you guys think of the Renovo wood bikes? Aesthetically - I they are great, though I have not seen one in person. I am looking for another road bike and would love to have something so unique. I currently own a 2009 Bianchi Volpe (steel, and was first road bike).
The Renovo Bicycle - Renovo Hardwood Bicycles

Can wood bikes really be as tough, or efficient as other road bikes made out of other materials?

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #959 of 4,425
After three year's using a Gary Fisher Cake 1. And always going for a sunday drive whatever the weather. I was fed up with the maintenance of the bike.
During the three year's I've replaced the bearing in the suspension every year, the chain twice a year, the brake pads pultiple times a year, and so on.

So it was time for a new, preferably maintenance free, bike. Luckily Santos, a local bike manufacturer here in the netherlands make's such a bike :
(who also made the bike that holds the current around the world record)

Santos - Custombuilt Bicycles

The santos SCC03 Belt Drive.

It's uses a belt as a replacement for the chain, so no lubing stretching, etc.
There a Rholoff speed hub which only needs an oil change every 10.000 Km.
The brakes a magura firm tech, no needs for brake pad adjustment or oil changes.

I love it !
tongue_smile.gif

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back