Bicycle-Fi!
Mar 12, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #4,006 of 4,419
Nothing wrong with carbon. Personally, I just feel safer and appreciate the feel of titanium. I've seen too many broken carbon frames from heavy crashes.

Ooh yeah baby, love my Ti hill climber myself :grin:

The Titanium Hill Climber.JPG

Gorgeous Salsa @willywill :beerchug:

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #4,009 of 4,419

I'm positive I'd have a lot more # 16 if the wife saw me bring one more bike home that was not a repair for someone else! These are just the families weekend riders which she thinks is more than enough :rolling_eyes:

Runion-Driskel Bikes 2015.JPG

Everyone rides 24'ers except the old man who's on the 29'er on the end:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #4,010 of 4,419
I do have an Al-U-Minium hill topper as well:grin:

Trek Topper.JPG

Mar 12, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #4,011 of 4,419
For some who've been around these parts for a while these are just re-hashing but this is my BABY:thumbsup:

The Yeti.JPG

I do prefer singles but when my Roadie buddies give me enough grief I do break out my old CAD 4 just to remind them I can still blow their doors off:smirk:

Lances Cannon.JPG

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #4,012 of 4,419
Funny thing, I never knew I had ADHD until I was diagnosed a few years ago and by that time I had already earned my PhD. Apparently I instinctively knew that exercise like cycling was essential to help me work at the level I was capable of. So I have my own gym, cycle regularly and once my ankle has recovered (ruptured ligament) I will be back to running as well. :) Yes, I love the aesthetics of bikes as well (old, new, any type).

I think that is very much a mutual affinity. I have been to Canada only once, but would love to visit there again some day. Still dream of taking the train cross country and ride some of those gorgeous mountain bike trails.
We'll do a lodgment exchange! We'll go there and you come here. Yes the cross country train remains a dream/goal of mine as well. What did you do your PhD. in? I'm just finishing a Master of Social Work now and if I was younger I would most certainly work towards a PhD.

Mar 12, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #4,013 of 4,419
If you love cycling, then it is definitely worth a visit. Although it might also be a shocking experience because cycling in the Netherlands is quite unique. It might be as flat as a pancake, but the cycling infrastructure is amazing and for most people cycling is something you learn at the same time you learn to walk. (I guess that explains the talented athletes.) It also means that things can be a bit overwhelming for the uninitiated. It can get very, very crowded with bicycles and the city of Utrecht recently opened a new bicycle parking with space for 12,500 bikes:
Hoog-Catharijne-Fietsenstalling-6.jpg
This is freaking crazy. In a good way.......

Mar 13, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #4,014 of 4,419
We'll do a lodgment exchange! We'll go there and you come here. Yes the cross country train remains a dream/goal of mine as well. What did you do your PhD. in? I'm just finishing a Master of Social Work now and if I was younger I would most certainly work towards a PhD.
Haha, deal! You went on to study later in life? I did. I was initially trained as a car mechanic, but I always knew something didn't sit right. Ended up doing my BSc/Msc in biology (adaptation physiology, molecular biology) and went on to write my on PhD project on the foundations of biology, which is more history of science (understanding why we do science the way we do it). Luckily a PhD in the Netherlands is a fully paid research/teaching position, so that helped. I hope you can find a way to earn your PhD at some point, but having the Master in your pocket will feel great!
For some who've been around these parts for a while these are just re-hashing but this is my BABY:thumbsup:

The Yeti.JPG
The Yeti is really nice! Love Yeti and always wanted one, but was never able to buy them here. Used to have a Giant Team Trials bike set up for street trials and that was a really fun bike to ride (not that I was any good, btw).

Mar 13, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #4,015 of 4,419
Haha, deal! You went on to study later in life? I did. I was initially trained as a car mechanic, but I always knew something didn't sit right. Ended up doing my BSc/Msc in biology (adaptation physiology, molecular biology) and went on to write my on PhD project on the foundations of biology, which is more history of science (understanding why we do science the way we do it). Luckily a PhD in the Netherlands is a fully paid research/teaching position, so that helped. I hope you can find a way to earn your PhD at some point, but having the Master in your pocket will feel great!
Yes I am almost 52 now so rather surreal to be in university, but also wonderful. In fact far more wonderful and I already mourn the coming loss of being in a formalized learning environment, it will be a shock to the system for sure. Losing access to all of those journals! I have become so used to having instant access to vast storehouses of research. My course work component ends in April and I am off to do my last practicum placement in a secure treatment unit in a forensic mental health hospital where it is likely/hopefully that I will secure employment.

That was quite a switch for you, car mechanic to biology, congratulations on realizing that you were not where you belonged. That must be a fascinating field, I did do biology right up until grade 13 in high school and I have always been keenly interested in what Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory would call all that squishy stuff. Like you I also knew that the various things I had been doing (retail management, IT consulting) weren't for me and that I was meant to do something else. I decided I did not want to grow old with that kind of regret and took the plunge. I am already very glad that I did so and at least I will not look back and wonder if I could have succeeded at higher learning. I was even able to take a PhD. level course during my two year Masters and I now know that if I was to go that route, I could accomplish that as well. We'll see, I expect to take courses as I age just to learn and there is a requirement in my field for annual training so the learning will still be there.

Ok, back to bikes. It is raining here and within three weeks hopefully all the snow is melted and salt washed away so that I can get back out there on my little Cube (actually it is pretty large). Here is a picture from last summer of my bike, I call her Ridey.
20190823_143032_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #4,016 of 4,419
Yes I am almost 52 now so rather surreal to be in university, but also wonderful. In fact far more wonderful and I already mourn the coming loss of being in a formalized learning environment, it will be a shock to the system for sure. Losing access to all of those journals! I have become so used to having instant access to vast storehouses of research. My course work component ends in April and I am off to do my last practicum placement in a secure treatment unit in a forensic mental health hospital where it is likely/hopefully that I will secure employment.

That was quite a switch for you, car mechanic to biology, congratulations on realizing that you were not where you belonged. That must be a fascinating field, I did do biology right up until grade 13 in high school and I have always been keenly interested in what Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory would call all that squishy stuff. Like you I also knew that the various things I had been doing (retail management, IT consulting) weren't for me and that I was meant to do something else. I decided I did not want to grow old with that kind of regret and took the plunge. I am already very glad that I did so and at least I will not look back and wonder if I could have succeeded at higher learning. I was even able to take a PhD. level course during my two year Masters and I now know that if I was to go that route, I could accomplish that as well. We'll see, I expect to take courses as I age just to learn and there is a requirement in my field for annual training so the learning will still be there.

Ok, back to bikes. It is raining here and within three weeks hopefully all the snow is melted and salt washed away so that I can get back out there on my little Cube (actually it is pretty large). Here is a picture from last summer of my bike, I call her Ridey.20190823_143032_HDR.jpg
Awesome to hear that you took the decision to go to uni when you did! You're never too old for that and it can open doors to new opportunities, like it looks it has done for you. Hope you can get a fixed position at the hospital and maybe it will be possible to do a PhD through that. It is possible to get there through a slightly different route. It happens occasionally with medical doctors who also get involved with medical research.

I am so jealous you guys have snow! It is highly annoying when you want to cycle (unless you have a fatbike), but we hardly ever get any of it over here. This winter was especially pathetic. Bought all sorts of gear for cold weather riding and never needed it. Would have been much better if I had invested in some waterproof gear instead. :wink: Nice bike!

Mar 13, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #4,017 of 4,419

The Yeti is really nice! Love Yeti and always wanted one, but was never able to buy them here. Used to have a Giant Team Trials bike set up for street trials and that was a really fun bike to ride (not that I was any good, btw).

Yep, I went all out as you can see and everyone who sees it immediately tells me they love the White Bros. but I just love how nice it rides and handles. Carbon seat post, HD brakes and as stiff as she is the 2.2 tubeless on the Arch's make her ride like a dream:relaxed: Here's shots of the rear drop and the Bro's up close, my buds all think I got a little crazy spending close to $3K (retail however the barter system is alive and well around my place:rolling_eyes:) LOL

Yeti Back End.JPG

Yeti Head On.JPG

You think @Sonic Defender started higher education later in life I've just started back to school having only 28 credit hours and I'm 63! Better late than never eh:beerchug:

Mar 13, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #4,018 of 4,419
Yep, I went all out as you can see and everyone who sees it immediately tells me they love the White Bros. but I just love how nice it rides and handles. Carbon seat post, HD brakes and as stiff as she is the 2.2 tubeless on the Arch's make her ride like a dream:relaxed: Here's shots of the rear drop and the Bro's up close, my buds all think I got a little crazy spending close to $3K (retail however the barter system is alive and well around my place:rolling_eyes:) LOL

Yeti Back End.JPG
Yeti Head On.JPG

You think @Sonic Defender started higher education later in life I've just started back to school having only 28 credit hours and I'm 63! Better late than never eh:beerchug:
Very nice bike! I don't think it is all that crazy to spend that amount, but I've gone passed that with a few bikes, so I am biased. :grin:

Mar 13, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #4,019 of 4,419
20190319_110505535_iOS.jpg

Mar 13, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #4,020 of 4,419

Yeti Back End.JPG
Yeti Head On.JPG

63, outstanding, never too late for sure. There is huge value in later life learning, very protective of the aging brain, which sadly is a thing. What program are you in, or is it not a program stream as of yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back