Bicycle-Fi!
Mar 13, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #4,021 of 4,419
Awesome to hear that you took the decision to go to uni when you did! You're never too old for that and it can open doors to new opportunities, like it looks it has done for you. Hope you can get a fixed position at the hospital and maybe it will be possible to do a PhD through that. It is possible to get there through a slightly different route. It happens occasionally with medical doctors who also get involved with medical research.

I am so jealous you guys have snow! It is highly annoying when you want to cycle (unless you have a fatbike), but we hardly ever get any of it over here. This winter was especially pathetic. Bought all sorts of gear for cold weather riding and never needed it. Would have been much better if I had invested in some waterproof gear instead. :wink: Nice bike!
This winter was a cake walk, quite mild and only modest amounts of snow. In contrast, last winter was absolutely brutal, long and cold, we really didn't even have much of a spring. If I remember correctly it even snowed in April last year. Yes snow can be beautiful. I went hiking on some lovely trails in the Gatineau Hills (just over the river on the Quebec side) and it was amazing.
20200103_155155_HDR.jpg
20200105_160250_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #4,022 of 4,419
63, outstanding, never too late for sure. There is huge value in later life learning, very protective of the aging brain, which sadly is a thing. What program are you in, or is it not a program stream as of yet?

Going for my associates in business, most of it is pretty easy for me as I've been an States Operations manager for five years and for the last 20 I've been a business manager/assistant administrator for one of the largest Hospital Universities for the state. A little late for me to move up that latter as it pretty much takes a masters to move up:anguished: it really is more of a test for myself to show I always had what it takes just never had the certificate of that ability :rolling_eyes: It's really a long story but Iost my parents at 11 and kind of just never figured it out on my own, once again better late than never applies plus it keeps me out of trouble:wink: I have concentrated more at making sure my three sons had all my support and learned from dad just how important that certificate is especially in this day and age!

Mar 13, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #4,023 of 4,419
This winter was a cake walk, quite mild and only modest amounts of snow. In contrast, last winter was absolutely brutal, long and cold, we really didn't even have much of a spring. If I remember correctly it even snowed in April last year. Yes snow can be beautiful. I went hiking on some lovely trails in the Gatineau Hills (just over the river on the Quebec side) and it was amazing.
20200103_155155_HDR.jpg20200105_160250_HDR.jpg
Very pretty! We visited Banff a few years ago, which was during a pretty cold winter and we ended up stocking up on extra clothes there. Absolutely loved being there, with proper mountains and woods everywhere. Can't get that in the Netherlands. I think I took this one from the hotel:
IMG_0413.JPG

Mar 13, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #4,024 of 4,419
Going for my associates in business, most of it is pretty easy for me as I've been an States Operations manager for five years and for the last 20 I've been a business manager/assistant administrator for one of the largest Hospital Universities for the state. A little late for me to move up that latter as it pretty much takes a masters to move up:anguished: it really is more of a test for myself to show I always had what it takes just never had the certificate of that ability :rolling_eyes: It's really a long story but Iost my parents at 11 and kind of just never figured it out on my own, once again better late than never applies plus it keeps me out of trouble:wink: I have concentrated more at making sure my three sons had all my support and learned from dad just how important that certificate is especially in this day and age!
I'm sorry about your loss, but it does sound as though you have found a way to channel the experience into positive actions and self-realization. Absolutely great things for your boys to see and learn from. Kudos to you for sure.

Mar 13, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #4,025 of 4,419
Very pretty! We visited Banff a few years ago, which was during a pretty cold winter and we ended up stocking up on extra clothes there. Absolutely loved being there, with proper mountains and woods everywhere. Can't get that in the Netherlands. I think I took this one from the hotel:
IMG_0413.JPG
Gorgeous, I have never been to Banff, but I will someday soon. I will be going to Gros Morne National Park first though. Lucky that it is closer to Ontario than Banff, but absolutely Banff is a must experience stop, as long as I can avoid the overly commercial aspects which might be hard.

Mar 13, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #4,026 of 4,419
Yep, I went all out as you can see and everyone who sees it immediately tells me they love the White Bros. but I just love how nice it rides and handles. Carbon seat post, HD brakes and as stiff as she is the 2.2 tubeless on the Arch's make her ride like a dream:relaxed: Here's shots of the rear drop and the Bro's up close, my buds all think I got a little crazy spending close to $3K (retail however the barter system is alive and well around my place:rolling_eyes:) LOL

Yeti Back End.JPG
Yeti Head On.JPG

You think @Sonic Defender started higher education later in life I've just started back to school having only 28 credit hours and I'm 63! Better late than never eh:beerchug:
Great build. I run the same hubs on one of my bikes.:beerchug:

Mar 13, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #4,027 of 4,419
Great build. I run the same hubs on one of my bikes.:beerchug:

Yep, the 240's are very nice and my first for their Hubs of course I've been using their spokes for as long as I can remember!

I skied Banff with a group of co-workers many moons ago and outside of the Zugspitze one of my fave ski Mtn's. Kind of partial to all my old indigenous buddies at Taos too :grin:

Apr 15, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #4,032 of 4,419
I used to be into this hobby but it got expensive so I switched to audio hobby and that got expensive too. My kids likely will not have college funds, but I do have 18 years to save for that when he or she is born. Lol.

May 17, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #4,033 of 4,419
I have been mountainbiker about 30 years. Well, first time for everything!
Kona Rove ST 2020 felt like "own" right from the start. I think we will have good relationship ahead. ❤️

292CC795-53EE-4F7E-89A6-D1336A78D15B.jpeg

May 17, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #4,035 of 4,419
I have been mountainbiker about 30 years. Well, first time for everything!
Kona Rove ST 2020 felt like "own" right from the start. I think we will have good relationship ahead. ❤

292CC795-53EE-4F7E-89A6-D1336A78D15B.jpeg
Though road bikes are more popular, I always felt mountain bikes were cooler/more rugged/boss like. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back