Bicycle-Fi!
Mar 11, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #3,991 of 4,419
IMG_2670.jpg

Mar 12, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #3,993 of 4,419
My most recent build. Back to metal frames and I'm never going back to disposable, plastic bikes (no offense to the carbon guys). I have to say, she is super comfy and still speedy! Moots Vamoots RSL, Sram RED and ENVE 4.5 SES.
Superb bike (yours too @Icenine2)! I love my plastic bike, Ridley Noah SL, which is designed to take a beating, but I also love seeing steel bikes. If I ever have money to burn I would go full custom Speedvagen with those delicious ENVE wheels. I also have a Specialized Allez (Ultegra build, 2013), which is a really nice bike to ride and I have no urge to get rid of it yet.

Mar 12, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #3,996 of 4,419
Superb bike (yours too @Icenine2)! I love my plastic bike, Ridley Noah SL, which is designed to take a beating, but I also love seeing steel bikes. If I ever have money to burn I would go full custom Speedvagen with those delicious ENVE wheels. I also have a Specialized Allez (Ultegra build, 2013), which is a really nice bike to ride and I have no urge to get rid of it yet.
Nothing wrong with carbon. Personally, I just feel safer and appreciate the feel of titanium. I've seen too many broken carbon frames from heavy crashes.

Mar 12, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #3,997 of 4,419
Nothing wrong with carbon. Personally, I just feel safer and appreciate the feel of titanium. I've seen too many broken carbon frames from heavy crashes.
Totally get that, I don't like flimsy gear either because I ride in all weather conditions (except maybe snow, but we don't get that here much anyway). Ridley is pretty good because the frames are made to endure a lot of abuse, but I do still feel more confident abusing my Allez. That is why I like having multiple bikes... that, and I am Dutch, so I have chain lube running through my veins. :grin:

Mar 12, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #3,998 of 4,419
New to cycling and mostly I do it for leisure and fitness. I would not spend big money until A I have it to spend, and B that I feel as a cyclist I need something better than I have. My GF and I cycle around the city and will bike to provincial parks and camp so need a strong bike. I picked up a very modest Cube Nature 2 last summer. Far from exotic, but quite adequate for me.

Mar 12, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #3,999 of 4,419
New to cycling and mostly I do it for leisure and fitness. I would not spend big money until A I have it to spend, and B that I feel as a cyclist I need something better than I have. My GF and I cycle around the city and will bike to provincial parks and camp so need a strong bike. I picked up a very modest Cube Nature 2 last summer. Far from exotic, but quite adequate for me.
Cube has pretty decent bikes without costing an arm and a leg. A good place to start. I only got into the high end carbon stuff after returning to the Netherlands from three years in London and my wife and I wanting to treat ourselves after a chronic lack of cycling. Plus, my wife wanted to do a 10,000km in one year crowdfunding and I sort of convinced her she needed a "spare" bike (her Ridley pictured on the previous page). :grin: It is really just an indulgence and about the fun of riding a high end bike, which does make for a better ride, but I definitely don't "need" it. I always ride by myself or with my wife and it is the training that matters to me, not how I compare to others, and so I don't need to push the margins of performance. But I am a training workhorse and need it for health reasons (managing my ADHD) so do need good equipment that will last.

Mar 12, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #4,000 of 4,419
Totally get that, I don't like flimsy gear either because I ride in all weather conditions (except maybe snow, but we don't get that here much anyway). Ridley is pretty good because the frames are made to endure a lot of abuse, but I do still feel more confident abusing my Allez. That is why I like having multiple bikes... that, and I am Dutch, so I have chain lube running through my veins. :grin:
Haha. Awesome. The Netherlands turns out some incredible athletes for such a small country. I'm jealous. One of these day I'll get there.

Mar 12, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #4,001 of 4,419
Head-fi got everything, here my 2017 Salsa Timberjack. I don't use it much I only replace the chain everything else is stock
Thinking of moving to Florida maybe there I will bond with nature and ride it more because nothing but cars and people where I live now
DSC_4747C.jpg

Here my other bike, 2007 Yamaha R1 now this one I enjoy over the years 27K miles
00r0r_5GmhYBBmpLz_1200x900.jpg

Mar 12, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #4,002 of 4,419
Haha. Awesome. The Netherlands turns out some incredible athletes for such a small country. I'm jealous. One of these day I'll get there.
If you love cycling, then it is definitely worth a visit. Although it might also be a shocking experience because cycling in the Netherlands is quite unique. It might be as flat as a pancake, but the cycling infrastructure is amazing and for most people cycling is something you learn at the same time you learn to walk. (I guess that explains the talented athletes.) It also means that things can be a bit overwhelming for the uninitiated. It can get very, very crowded with bicycles and the city of Utrecht recently opened a new bicycle parking with space for 12,500 bikes:
Hoog-Catharijne-Fietsenstalling-6.jpg

Mar 12, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #4,003 of 4,419
Cube has pretty decent bikes without costing an arm and a leg. A good place to start. I only got into the high end carbon stuff after returning to the Netherlands from three years in London and my wife and I wanting to treat ourselves after a chronic lack of cycling. Plus, my wife wanted to do a 10,000km in one year crowdfunding and I sort of convinced her she needed a "spare" bike (her Ridley pictured on the previous page). :grin: It is really just an indulgence and about the fun of riding a high end bike, which does make for a better ride, but I definitely don't "need" it. I always ride by myself or with my wife and it is the training that matters to me, not how I compare to others, and so I don't need to push the margins of performance. But I am a training workhorse and need it for health reasons (managing my ADHD) so do need good equipment that will last.
Nice, and I concur cycling is a fantastic way to manage ADHD, something I have lived with for a lifetime. That is a lovely spare bike your wife has. I also find bikes to be very beautiful to look at so there is that aesthetic element as well.

Mar 12, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #4,004 of 4,419
If you love cycling, then it is definitely worth a visit. Although it might also be a shocking experience because cycling in the Netherlands is quite unique. It might be as flat as a pancake, but the cycling infrastructure is amazing and for most people cycling is something you learn at the same time you learn to walk. (I guess that explains the talented athletes.) It also means that things can be a bit overwhelming for the uninitiated. It can get very, very crowded with bicycles and the city of Utrecht recently opened a new bicycle parking with space for 12,500 bikes:
Hoog-Catharijne-Fietsenstalling-6.jpg
Friends of mine did indeed cycle the Netherlands extensively and simply loved the experience on many levels. As you know Canadians have an affinity for the Netherlands. Soon my city will be full of the colour of tens of thousands of Tulip bulbs that were gifted by the Netherlands to Canada.

Mar 12, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #4,005 of 4,419
Nice, and I concur cycling is a fantastic way to manage ADHD, something I have lived with for a lifetime. That is a lovely spare bike your wife has. I also find bikes to be very beautiful to look at so there is that aesthetic element as well.
Funny thing, I never knew I had ADHD until I was diagnosed a few years ago and by that time I had already earned my PhD. Apparently I instinctively knew that exercise like cycling was essential to help me work at the level I was capable of. So I have my own gym, cycle regularly and once my ankle has recovered (ruptured ligament) I will be back to running as well. :) Yes, I love the aesthetics of bikes as well (old, new, any type).
Friends of mine did indeed cycle the Netherlands extensively and simply loved the experience on many levels. As you know Canadians have an affinity for the Netherlands. Soon my city will be full of the colour of tens of thousands of Tulip bulbs that were gifted by the Netherlands to Canada.
I think that is very much a mutual affinity. I have been to Canada only once, but would love to visit there again some day. Still dream of taking the train cross country and ride some of those gorgeous mountain bike trails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back