Bicycle-Fi!
Sep 18, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #3,976 of 4,419
I run 55 front and 60 psi rear and it's llike biking
How much do you ride? Long distances or shorter/faster? I mostly ride short/fast rides of about 40-60km (25-40 miles) at the moment. Eventually I will increase the distance more, but I have only been riding for less than a year since we left London and not yet fully comfortable for the longer rides, as my back tightens a bit too much after 40km. But that will come eventually because I need to keep up with my wife who is riding 10,000km (over 6,000 miles) this year for charity. :D

Are tubeless tires working well enough these days? I have looked at those on-and-off for several years and am still on the fence. For my Allez I prioritise puncture resistance and thus run Gatorskins (my wife did 5,000km/3,000 miles on those before she got the first puncture), but for my Noah SL I might consider going tubeless once I replace the stock wheels. The wheels we ordered for my wife are tubeless ready, but there too we just went with Rubino Pro clinchers.

They have been working properly for me for the past 5 years. I've used 3 different tires (Specialized 2Bliss, Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Season, and Schwalbe Pro One). No issues with any of them. No tire blow outs. The nice thing too is that you can run lower PSI without consequence like pinch-flats. I run 55PSI front and 65PSI rear in my current set up. Ride quality is great. No loss in confidence on turns and never tire blowouts. I climb a lot and some of the descents are pretty technical. I've never had the thought in my head that the tire might blowout. Road tubeless has been a tried and true technology.

Sep 18, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #3,977 of 4,419
Love my high end carbon bikes and wheels. Set of Reynolds RZR 46's Tubulars..
IMG_2870.JPG
IMG_2872.JPG
IMG_2874.JPG
IMG_2876.JPG

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #3,978 of 4,419
They have been working properly for me for the past 5 years. I've used 3 different tires (Specialized 2Bliss, Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Season, and Schwalbe Pro One). No issues with any of them. No tire blow outs. The nice thing too is that you can run lower PSI without consequence like pinch-flats. I run 55PSI front and 65PSI rear in my current set up. Ride quality is great. No loss in confidence on turns and never tire blowouts. I climb a lot and some of the descents are pretty technical. I've never had the thought in my head that the tire might blowout. Road tubeless has been a tried and true technology.
Thanks! Might need to give that a try once I have replaced the stock wheels on my Noah SL. Not too worried about blowouts though because we live in the Netherlands and as the name implies it is pretty much as flat as a pancake out here. But the roads are great as the Netherlands is of course one of the most cycle-mad countries in the world. :D

Sep 19, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #3,979 of 4,419
Thanks! Might need to give that a try once I have replaced the stock wheels on my Noah SL. Not too worried about blowouts though because we live in the Netherlands and as the name implies it is pretty much as flat as a pancake out here. But the roads are great as the Netherlands is of course one of the most cycle-mad countries in the world. :D

Good luck! Definitely experiment on the tire pressure. And regarding tire sealant, I've had great experience with Stans Race and Orange Seal(not the endurance). Apply 20-30ml and you should be good for a couple of months.

Also, depending on your wheels, I suggest a pump strong enough to shoot a quick burst of air in order to seat the beads. Look up videos on how to seat the tires(I know it sounds like hassle, but trust me, once you get a routine going, you'll be happy you converted). Disclaimer: I don't work in the bike/tire industry.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #3,980 of 4,419
Good luck! Definitely experiment on the tire pressure. And regarding tire sealant, I've had great experience with Stans Race and Orange Seal(not the endurance). Apply 20-30ml and you should be good for a couple of months.

Also, depending on your wheels, I suggest a pump strong enough to shoot a quick burst of air in order to seat the beads. Look up videos on how to seat the tires(I know it sounds like hassle, but trust me, once you get a routine going, you'll be happy you converted). Disclaimer: I don't work in the bike/tire industry.
Do you need to keep refreshing the sealant as well?

Yeah, I know about the pump needing to be quite powerful to seat the tired properly for a good seal. I think some of the latest tires are easier to deal with in that regard, but not sure if that requires a matching wheel. I seem to remember Mavic having such a system (could misremember).

My main priorities are puncture resistance, as little fuss as possible and tires that work in all weather conditions because I ride all year round. Maintenance for the bikes is a lot of work already, especially in winter, and I don't really want to add more to that.

Sep 20, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #3,981 of 4,419
Do you need to keep refreshing the sealant as well?

Yeah, I know about the pump needing to be quite powerful to seat the tired properly for a good seal. I think some of the latest tires are easier to deal with in that regard, but not sure if that requires a matching wheel. I seem to remember Mavic having such a system (could misremember).

My main priorities are puncture resistance, as little fuss as possible and tires that work in all weather conditions because I ride all year round. Maintenance for the bikes is a lot of work already, especially in winter, and I don't really want to add more to that.

The sealant does dry out eventually. I've been topping off every 2 months or so. I never remove the dried rubber in the tire since I'm lazy and I'm not the weight weenie type either.

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #3,985 of 4,419
Very nice. Who's wheels are they?
A small Dutch builder called Fore Cycling: https://www.forecyclingwheels.com/en_US/
The wheels are the 'Five CR' and they use very solid parts; DT350 hubs, Sapim CX Ray aero spokes and a high quality carbon rim. My local bike shop is always very selective about the brands they carry and they really liked these wheels because they build them the same way. However, because the bike shop was having trouble sourcing their own rims, we ended up going for the Fore wheels.

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #3,987 of 4,419
Mar 11, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #3,989 of 4,419
My most recent build. Back to metal frames and I'm never going back to disposable, plastic bikes (no offense to the carbon guys). I have to say, she is super comfy and still speedy! Moots Vamoots RSL, Sram RED and ENVE 4.5 SES.
20200311_160814.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #3,990 of 4,419
My most recent build. Back to metal frames and I'm never going back to disposable, plastic bikes (no offense to the carbon guys). I have to say, she is super comfy and still speedy! Moots Vamoots RSL, Sram RED and ENVE 4.5 SES.
20200311_160814.jpg
Nice. I thought this was my bike for a hot minute! I'm running Chorus instead of SRAM. The Enve wheels are just killer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back