Bicycle-Fi!
Aug 20, 2008 at 8:20 AM Post #136 of 4,425
Wayne,

Your Ducati Monster is not keeping you in shape?
smile.gif
I thought that is what you were toting in the trailer.

Btw what's the elevation of Idaho Falls? You're not in the Caymans anymore, so don't give yourself a heart attack. In my forgotten youth I spent a glorious Summer on the other side of the divide in Jackson and Grand Teton Park.

I suggest you just get a fly rod and reel and binge on rainbow trout, the Omega oils will do you good. Especially if your heading to Montana.

Aug 20, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #137 of 4,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm picking this goldmine up after work today:

[ig]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1212/1380511616_07b827f0ef_o.jpg[/img]

Robb I see some compatibility issues in you goldmine.
Is this going to be half Syncho half friction shifting? Because the rear hub needs a freewheel which didn't work too well with Synchro. But overall you've got some neat stuff there.

I've got a full Campy C-Record grouppo, 8-speed Synchro, waiting for a frame.

Quote:

Delta Brakes! I have not seen them in a while. I used to owned them w/ a C-Record Group including Syncro back in 1989. They were installed on my Kestrel bike. The delta brakes are gorgeous and you need to use to feathering braking versus the more powerful brakes of the time.

mrarroyo, my Delta and Cobalto brake sets are in a display case, too pretty to use.

Aug 20, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #138 of 4,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wayne,

Your Ducati Monster is not keeping you in shape?
smile.gif
I thought that is what you were toting in the trailer.

Btw what's the elevation of Idaho Falls? You're not in the Caymans anymore, so don't give yourself a heart attack. In my forgotten youth I spent a glorious Summer on the other side of the divide in Jackson and Grand Teton Park.

I suggest you just get a fly rod and reel and binge on rainbow trout, the Omega oils will do you good. Especially if your heading to Montana.

Good advice. Just plugged my GPS in to check the elevation. It's about 4,800 feet in Idaho Falls but much higher within 100 miles or so. Heart attacks are not good: noted! Of course neither is being overweight and I've got to deal with that or I'll have one for sure one of these days.

More shocking was my mileage logged on my GPS which is nearly 17,000 miles! Quite a few considering that I just bought the thing in April, didn't take it to Italy with me (about 2,000 miles there on a rental car) and I don't use it in the Atom (another 2,000 miles there since April).

Haven't bought the Ducati monster yet, and may or may not. While I'd love to have one for kicks and giggles, I can't even keep a motorhome within the lines so the thought of all of that power (which I could drop on myself) kind of scares me!

Love Jackson, and even more so, the ride between here and there along the Snake River. It's really splendid scenery, and it just keeps coming at you in bits and pieces so you're never overwhelmed like you might be in mountain passes. The result is a ride that is both tranquil and invigorating, if that makes any sense.

I'm headed to Jackson in the morning to check out those bikes. Just wondering if I'll be able to fit whatever I end up buying in the passenger seat of the Atom. I know that I should dive a sensible vehicle, but I'd bet anything that I could bungie strap a bike in there without too much difficulty. It would look pretty odd and get splattered with bugs but that's alright.

Aug 20, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #139 of 4,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

More shocking was my mileage logged on my GPS which is nearly 17,000 miles! Quite a few considering that I just bought the thing in April, didn't take it to Italy with me (about 2,000 miles there on a rental car) and I don't use it in the Atom (another 2,000 miles there since April).

Love Jackson, and even more so, the ride between here and there along the Snake River. It's really splendid scenery, and it just keeps coming at you in bits and pieces so you're never overwhelmed like you might be in mountain passes. The result is a ride that is both tranquil and invigorating, if that makes any sense.

Dude, I hate you.
Tranquil and invigorating: sounds like a great road trip!

Aug 27, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #141 of 4,425
Sep 3, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #142 of 4,425
I used to like to ride when I lived in Dallas. Dallas had a nice bike trail that was about 25 miles round trip. I used to go riding every weekend.

Now that I live about 50 miles from Chicago I thought it would be great to ride but man I hate riding now and have stopped. The problem is with drivers that want to spew obscentities at me and don't look out for bikers or anybody else on the road. And women are the worst. I was riding my bike in a parking lot one time and this lady just started screaming at me to get out of the way with her 10 year old daughter in the back seat of her car. She sounded like a sailor who had too much to drink. Man after that I just stopped riding because it was no longer fun for me.

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #144 of 4,425
Anyone out there in Head-Fi land have a Jim Redkay? He built me a frame in 1981 with Shimano EX, this is back when he was in Lambertville, NJ. I still have it but I don't ride anymore. When I was on the bike I was doing 300 miles a week along the Jersey shore, Columbis SP, butted seat stays, 56cm. A work of art.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #145 of 4,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidtripwow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is with drivers that want to spew obscentities at me and don't look out for bikers or anybody else on the road.

That's half of the fun of commuting for me.

I'd be pretty irate if I was paying almost $5 a gallon for gasoline, then spending 80% more time in traffic to go the same distance as a cyclist.

I only throw up the finger to irate drivers when they're gridlocked in an intersection and unable to chase me. Jerks.

Sep 8, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #146 of 4,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only throw up the finger to irate drivers when they're gridlocked in an intersection and unable to chase me. Jerks.

I've pretty much stopped giving the good old bird to strangers. There's already enough fear, anger, and hatred out there. Just doesn't give me satisfaction any more. At least not like flipping off somebody I know.
devil_face.gif

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #147 of 4,425
Haven't been able to ride for the past couple of years due to health issues. Prior to that I commuted 7 miles each way...all on the streets. No bike paths and no bike lanes. Alot of interesting conversations. In fact I'm always amazed that someone can be really PO'd cuz you slow them down but they have time to slow down, pull beside you, roll down the window and try to tell you off. I regularly offered to call a police officer if they felt I wasn't entitled to my share of the road, but no one ever accepted my offer
smily_headphones1.gif

However, I found most motorists were courteous and gave me plenty of space. This is not a particularly bike friendly area, but at least most people respect your space on a bicycle. I only had a couple of times that someone tried to harm me. Easy enough to pull over in most places and let the idiot move on.

I'm actually looking forward to my morning bike commute when health allows. Very peaceful most mornings. Great way to start the day.

Sep 8, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #148 of 4,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't been able to ride for the past couple of years due to health issues.

Hope you get back to 100% stat. This getting old is not for weinies. Sure a lot more fun when you can do all the stuff you like.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back