BHSE or Woo WES?
Dec 7, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #121 of 155
Quote:
Interesting though that the LL won't work properly with SE sources.

I brought the LL Prototype to the NYC meet.  The prototype only has balanced inputs.  The production model will have both balanced and single-ended inputs.  I had a single-ended source, and I couldn't get a hold of a balanced output source on short notice, so I had to use RCA-to-XLR3 cables.

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #122 of 155
A RCA->XLR adapter does exactly the same thing as a RCA/XLR switch inside the amp, grounds the - part of the input.  I don't see any reason why it would make any difference to do the connection to ground on one side of the connectors or the other. 

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #123 of 155
Spritzer, would be great to hear your impressions of the LL against the BHSE.

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #124 of 155
Quote:
Spritzer, would be great to hear your impressions of the LL against the BHSE.

Ok I have to ask, why are you interested in an LL vs BHSE comparison when the fairer comparison is probably LL vs KGSS (or KGSSHV)? That's what I'd personally like to know and what I'd imagine more people would be interested in reading about.

Though I'm not an electronics person, my opinion is that Cavalli Audio would have to seriously re-design the LL in order to match the BHSE's specs and hence its performance.

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #127 of 155
Quote:
(...)

PLEASE IF YOU VOTE, PLEASE!!! POST THE WHY OF YOUR RECOMMENDATION.

(...)

Is there a poll in this thread? If not can you please create one? The thread it's getting to big to understand which amp has the preferences of the forum...

Thanks.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #130 of 155
Quote:
Dont need no poll Pedro. Hands down - BHSE

Thanks. Just ordered the SR009 and looks like I'm ordering the BHSE along this week.

Anyone thinks otherwise i.e. that the WES would be a better choice?

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #132 of 155
If people haven't already spotted it, there is a thread, only a few steps from this one, that compares these 3 amps.
The bottom line is that you won't get full consensus on which one is best - rather like opinions on just about any topic.

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #133 of 155
I own both amps, the BHSE and WES that is.  I sincerely doubt this is the answer you are looking for, but at times I prefer the BHSE and at other times I prefer the WES.  That is with the SR-009.  With the -007 Mk 1, I generally prefer the BHSE.  (Note: sources are a Bryston BDP-1, various Macs and/or CD players, DACs are a Bryston BDA-1, Weiss DAC202 or Wavelength Proton -- I often alternate between amps in the exact same setup).  The sound of both amps does change quite a bit with tube rolling, with the WES having the more dramatic changes of the two (which is a blessing or a curse, depending on your perspective).  They are both highly sensitive as to source, if not to every link in the chain -- they have practically ruined non-critical listening for me, since most albums seem to be recorded poorly.  I've also been forced to tweak my setup (interconnects, sources, etc.) more than I would like.  I range between irrational love of each amp to feeling underwhelmed, though that may have more to do with day-to-day/seasonal changes in my brain/ears and/or the dirth of audiophile recordings of interest to me than with the amps themselves.  Friends and family (read, non-audiophiles) generally have no preference between the two.  Resale is undoubtedly better on the BHSE, but at the expense of a long wait.  I don't think you can go wrong with either amp.  I haven't heard the Liquid Lightning.

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #134 of 155
BlueDevil, great input. Thanks.

Dec 22, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #135 of 155
I hesitate to comment because I like both the WES and the BHSE.  Having said that I recently got curious after about 150 hours with my BHSE/SED winged C tubes and went back to the WES for an evening of listening.  Most of what I listen to are needle drop conversions of my vinyl with well preserved dynamic range and a few selected high resolution downloads from HDtracks.  Both through Stax 009's.  When fully hot, detail and effortless range of the BHSE is in my humble opinion unmatched.  

Justin's BHSE is the best headphone amp I have ever heard.  Get on the list; the wait is worth it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back