Beyers...
Jun 11, 2009 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ezzieyguywuf

100+ Head-Fier
Anytime I think Beyer, I think huge bass. I've never heard a pair of Beyers, only read about them here on the forums. But the impression I always get is that they're "bass monsters" etc and I can never get the image out of my head that they would be too dark for me: it doesn't help that they call the modded Beyers Darthbeyers (or did at least) cuz Darth Vayder was dark etc...

Anywho I just bought some Denen D2000s with Woodied cups and a re-cable job (I always forget what the cable is). I really like the sound I'm getting straight from my laptop, not so much out of my Cowon D2 though I haven't really given them a second chance there yet (I plan on doing a review one my Compass gets in, woot! Firste review!). I really enjoy the bass on these compared to my SR-60s and my Livewires. My question is, is this the kind of bass I would have gotten out of the Beyers? Its not overwhelming at all, and it doesn't drow anything out for me (excepy on the aforementioned Cowon D2). If this is the case, I feel that I may have been unfairly prejudiced against the Beyers because really I never really gave them too much thought when I tried to decide on this purchase. Did I miss out?

BTW I'm not regretting my purchase. I'm regretting the possibility that I may have had the wrong imression about the Beyers.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 17
Interesting comments crossmd. Thats the kind of stuff I was talking about, that flabiness is the image I get in my head (can you have an image of sound? Flabby sure doesn't look good, so I guess it wouldn't sound good).

@ Solid Snake: Just to clarify, I am not looking to buy any more headphones right now, and I don't really know any headfiers that live near me so unfortunately trying anything out is unlikely. I was just hoping to hear commentary. On a side note though, I was so impressed by MGS4 that I bought the box set of MGS1-3 and am halfway through 2 right now. Great series (I'm assuming your a metal gear solid fan...)

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the DT880/250 '05 edition. Much more analytical than my HD650 and the DT880 has less bass but it packs a punchy bass sq.

I could not agree more. I loved the '05/880/250s. They're one of the few things I regret having sold. Nice fit/finish too.

NK

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 17
The Denon's are very good headphones as well. I was so in love with my HD650 until I re-visited the DT880 (my 2nd time owning it). And it now looks like I am going to stick with the DT880 for a long time.

biggrin.gif

I was a fan of MGS 1-3 but not 4. I usually refer it to as Metal Gears of War 4 but I don't want to get into it since it would derail the whole thread.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 17
I'll just say one thing about MGS4: It was my first MGS game and I loved it. I felt like it was the best movie of the summer last year, lol. Maybe its easier to appreciate retroactively?

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 17
The models ive heard that are bassy from beyer are the 770 and 990.
Depending how you treat them (with amps/ sources) it could go either way of fun bass, or flabby bass.
the 880 is not bassy (and is probably the most neutral can on the mid-fi market... moreso than the HD600 at least).
A lot of their other line is not bassy either.
Come to think of it, I can name more bassy sennheiser models than I can beyer.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #9 of 17
The 250 ohm DT990 has more bass than the 600 ohm version.

The DT990/600 has more bass than either 250 or 600 ohm DT880.

The DT880 has tight bass - not flabby or overbearing.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #10 of 17
Well, i think i can be a good example for the op.
I have too a D2000 Markl'ed with wood cups and recabled and too a DT990('05). Haven't listened to other Beyers but have readed tons of reviews.

Well, for me the Beyers bass is fun. Its fast, strong and nice to ear, creating easy a rythm in the music.
That doesn't mean that music is dark. In fact, some people complain that their treble is quite high and sometimes been too prominent, could be disturbing (that happens in DT990s, not in 880s as i readed, because the first ones treble is higher, doing them less flat than 880s. Of course, the DT880s are claimed to be more analytical and less fun than the 990s, so they can fit you more depending the music you hear).
I suppose you found it, but you should take a look to this

My modded D2000's bass is more analytical, yeah, and more precise with the music than 990s. Detailed. Smooth.
But sometimes, i have the sensation that its hard for them to do the bass in some songs. Feeling them weak. With the Beyers i never had that feeling. Bass is less detailed but their impact is always solid, they are and all-around bass. This doesn't mean they are bass monsters. Just they will always be able to do something "decent" with the bass. You won't say "hey, in this track bass sucks".

As i said, the 990s are more agressive than the 880s, keep that in mind.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #11 of 17
fameh,
Sorry to bump like this, but did you get your rewiring done in EU?

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #12 of 17
This might be a bit of a hijack, forgive me
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm currently looking for headphones to replace and/or have a pair to switch from time to time with Senn HD600s. What I like about HD600 is the mellow, laid back, easy sound. Good dynamics and extension. With good amp, no "veil", I'm using Audio-GD compass which rocks the HD600s. Actually, I'm pretty darn happy with these cans.

What I am looking for is the same kind of extension and detail, but a more forward midrange and punchier, faster bass with detail. Obviously, HD650 would be a step back in this scenario. Also AKG line won't do the trick being a bit bass shy and for my head, not very comfy.

What I gathered from reading this forum, DT880s would be a good choice to evaluate. I found them reasonably priced (DT880/250ohm/'05 for usd290 and DT880-PRO for usd320) in a european webstore. I am not sure which one would be the one to go for. I will have a problem auditioning them, not impossible though. And I will if I could find both in the same place. Anyhow I'm looking for advice on which one should I try if I can't do both. Or something else
smily_headphones1.gif
The webstore has a return policy but I would not want go through the trouble for nothing.

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fameh,
Sorry to bump like this, but did you get your rewiring done in EU?

Hi, np, rosgr63
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, i bought them on 2nd hand in FS forums, they appear usually. But else its quite easy, you can always send them to USA to markl or recable them yourself. Or pay a DIYer near to you to make it!

Jun 11, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlaakso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This might be a bit of a hijack, forgive me
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm currently looking for headphones to replace and/or have a pair to switch from time to time with Senn HD600s. What I like about HD600 is the mellow, laid back, easy sound. Good dynamics and extension. With good amp, no "veil", I'm using Audio-GD compass which rocks the HD600s. Actually, I'm pretty darn happy with these cans.

What I am looking for is the same kind of extension and detail, but a more forward midrange and punchier, faster bass with detail. Obviously, HD650 would be a step back in this scenario. Also AKG line won't do the trick being a bit bass shy and for my head, not very comfy.

What I gathered from reading this forum, DT880s would be a good choice to evaluate. I found them reasonably priced (DT880/250ohm/'05 for usd290 and DT880-PRO for usd320) in a european webstore. I am not sure which one would be the one to go for. I will have a problem auditioning them, not impossible though. And I will if I could find both in the same place. Anyhow I'm looking for advice on which one should I try if I can't do both. Or something else
smily_headphones1.gif
The webstore has a return policy but I would not want go through the trouble for nothing.

Yes, try the DT880/250 or DT880/600. I prefer the 250 version but some find it too forward.

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #15 of 17
The 05/DT880/250 which i own are far from bassy. Some even call it analytical but i just love the highly detailed sound with strong punchy mids. It just leaves you with the music almost as pure as it can be.
I can imagine that people find the DT770's bass out of control, i've tried them with heavy metal but the ever present bass overpowers most of the other sounds. I wouldn't call it flabby though, its just too strong in the lows. The DT990's are quite the opposite, with pretty strong treble.
In the auditioning i've tried also tried senn's, the HD580, 600 and 650 to be exact, and didnt like any of them. They all drowned the detail with the dark, almost muffled sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back