Beyerdynamic
Sep 1, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #31 of 54
Everything I say now is a lie
dt880smile.png
, but I think it is still ferrite... I will check for sure tomorrow though, cause I have something in mind telling it is not ferrite.

Quote:
Great to read someone from Beyer posting about the DT48!

But one question though, what is the material (still) used for the magnet? Alnico?

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #32 of 54

Well, I did say it correctly the first time. the ring magnet is indeed ferrite.

And for those who like to know: the A1 (beyerdynamic headphone amp) is short-circuit proof, meaning you can connect headphones with impedances as low as 1 ohms.

Many regards,
Quote:
Everything I say now is a lie
dt880smile.png
, but I think it is still ferrite... I will check for sure tomorrow though, cause I have something in mind telling it is not ferrite.

Sep 2, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #33 of 54

Quote:
Well, I did say it correctly the first time. the ring magnet is indeed ferrite.

And for those who like to know: the A1 (beyerdynamic headphone amp) is short-circuit proof, meaning you can connect headphones with impedances as low as 1 ohms.

Many regards,

But how does it sound. Very little play here I am afraid. It has not been reviewed. Maybe good idea to get loaner program started.

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #34 of 54

Frank..Um.. I have 4 DT48 reviews.. Please read them.. I'm no Skylab, but my reviews are far from bad & describe the differences between the older era models & a/se models.
Quote:

But how does it sound. Very little play here I am afraid. It has not been reviewed. Maybe good idea to get loaner program started.

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #36 of 54

Also.. Theres no glue or plastic to be found in the design.. At least in my 50's NAGRA.. I had a headphone expert repair the drivers, & his words on the design was, 'quite amazing.' He also stated the Diaphram & magnetic were not glued together like 99% of other headphones, but each had their own housing.. Has this changed for the newer models?
Quote:
Hi to all from Germany 
dt880smile.png

It's great to read so much about our oldie DT 48 E. 

The first DT 48 was manufactured around 1937!!

And not much has changed since than. Only some outer things have been changed, the driver is actually the same. Aluminum (no foil like most headphones) diaphragm embossed with compressed air instead of a stamp. The magnet is even also a ring (just like the Tesla drivers), no neodymium though. 

Concerning the marketing on the DT 48 E...honestly...there is non. It basically sells itself after so many years and is mostly known in the professional market only, since that is what the DT 48 E was designed for in the first place:
http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/studio-and-stage/studio-headphones/dt-48-e.html

The marketing of the DT 48 E is a future plan though, therefore I read all your posts and realize that many (relatively) of like it pretty much.

Many regards,

It has changed over the time.. Earlier models used different minerals that are no longer used or available from my understanding.. This could have a effect on the sound.. Ferrmite for the DT48 as of now..
Quote:
Great to read someone from Beyer posting about the DT48!

But one question though, what is the material (still) used for the magnet? Alnico?

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #38 of 54

Never too late to plan a proper launching after 73 years
biggrin.gif

Quote:
SunDevil said:

The marketing of the DT 48 E is a future plan though, therefore I read all your posts and realize that many (relatively) of like it pretty much.

But you probably also realize those headphones are extremely polarizing among the audiophile community, and some love them while others (a vast majority I would say) hate them as much. Interestingly, at what market would you target it: high end (T1), midfi (DT880/DT770/DT990), or rather a new subcategory (True-end ?)
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #39 of 54
I need to own a pair of these.  I can't believe these things are bolted together with nuts and bolts...incredible.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #40 of 54

Quote:
I need to own a pair of these.  I can't believe these things are bolted together with nuts and bolts...incredible.

Yeah, you could use them to hit a thief if he tries to take away your LCD's!
tongue.gif
 Now THIS are built like a tank, the pair I own is 53 years old!
eek.gif

They are quite a unique experience, at least compared to the modern headphones I've tried. IMO they can be seen as a headphone trying to be a headphone, and being pretty damn good at it, particularly consider how cheap you can get a used pair with some luck.

Sep 2, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #42 of 54

They would be tough to market to the consumer market without changing  what makes them unique.. But they must 'hi end' if Beyer uses the same ring design in their Flagship T1. Again, like a broken record record.. 73 yr old design being used in their state of the art headphone.. Many think the T1 is based off the DT880. I dids.. But the more I find out, it seems to be based off the 'worst headphone ever', DT48.. But most that hate them, never gave them a fair shot.. They are the only headphone that burns IN YOU.. & need to be listened to for a few Weeks to truly get it..
Quote:
Never too late to plan a proper launching after 73 years
biggrin.gif

But you probably also realize those headphones are extremely polarizing among the audiophile community, and some love them while others (a vast majority I would say) hate them as much. Interestingly, at what market would you target it: high end (T1), midfi (DT880/DT770/DT990), or rather a new subcategory (True-end ?)
wink.gif

Nuts & bolts is just part of the story..:)
Not just that. No damping material. No other headphone doe a better job at protecting it's driver IMO.. Better then the HP1/2 in that regard according to one MOTT. No glue, plastic anywhere in the design.. The Diaphragm & magnetic are not glued together like 99% of other headphones including the most expensive.. They each are in cased in their own aluminum housing I believe, at least with my 50's pair.
Aluminum drivers  (no foil like most headphones) diaphragm embossed with compressed air instead of a stamp. The magnet is even also a ring (just like the Tesla drivers), no neodymium though.

The DT48a transducers are hand selected & Even matched for optimal balance, also like the T1.. & comes with a FR chart like the HD800/LCD2..

So, yes.. These headphones.. Are BEYOND unique & there will never fbe another headphone like the DT48 in terms of construction & design.. They really waver from the norm in almost every aspect.. I also believe the DT48a are hand made & not mass produced..

The question is.. Will you like the sound.. Try to find a pair for 150.00.. I still feel their mid range far eclipses their MSRP of 449.00.

Quote:

Imagine a headphone sounding like a headphone.
Quote:
Yeah, you could use them to hit a thief if he tries to take away your LCD's!
tongue.gif
 Now THIS are built like a tank, the pair I own is 53 years old!
eek.gif

They are quite a unique experience, at least compared to the modern headphones I've tried. IMO they can be seen as a headphone trying to be a headphone, and being pretty damn good at it, particularly consider how cheap you can get a used pair with some luck.

I prefer the 650's treble. The DT48, art least gives the perception of being treble lite..
Quote:
OK, so hows the treble on your one compared to HD650?

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #44 of 54

The mids are full & complete.. Very similiar to the K1000 mids.. But the K1000 runs away with the vocal range.. Just no comparison in that regard.. B&H sells them for around 330 or 340.. If you buy the DT48a you will need to wait for two weeks.. Special order item..& never meant for music. & they come bare ended, meaning you would need to recable them with a 1/4 plug yourself.. I prefer buying the vintage models for cheaper.. They retain more of the DT48 'magic' IMO.. Most recommend the DT48e 25ohm.. As a good starter kit for the DT48..
Quote:

Thats good.  It means the mids should sound full and complete.  They're about 300 bucks new no?

Sep 3, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #45 of 54
Please don't misunderstand: The T 1 is NOT based on the DT 48! The mechanics of the T 1 are clearly based on the DT 880. The coincidence that the T 1 has a ring magnet is not on purpose, it's just the way it is. Just like I wrote on our site (under "Innovations"):

"...The transducers (drivers) are completely re-engineered and based on a neodymium ring magnet with optimized magnetic field characteristics. This combination creates a magnetic field inside the transducer which is far stronger (> 1,2 Tesla - measuring unit for magnetic flux density - with current headphones the strength of the magnetic field is < 0,65 Tesla) than in standard headphones. Because of this increased magnetic field, the voice coil is more compact but still provides a very high degree of efficiency. The membrane, consisting of a 3 layer „compound foil“, delivers an extremely precise frequency response and guarantees, in collaboration with the strong magnet, a transparent and distortion free sound."

The T 1 system something different again...it's no "New DT 48" or something like that. 

Quote:
....essed air instead of a stamp. The magnet is even also a ring (just like the Tesla drivers), no neodymium though....

By the way, I've just updated the DT 48 E product site:
http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/studio-and-stage/studio-headphones/dt-48-e.html?SID=347bd0a8b3a2863f370b83b22c98246d&___store=en&___from_store=de

Concerning the Marketing of the DT 48; we will not start a marketing campaign, internet banners, posters or whatever. It's mainly a combination of exhibitions and maybe even magazine tests and believe me, there have always been proper presentations of new products. The DT 48 is a very old model, which means also it's presentation has been many, many years ago 
wink_face.gif

Thank you all for your great support for beyerdynamic!

Many warm regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back