Beyerdynamic Xelento!
May 5, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #2,266 of 2,944
Hi everyone:

I´ve been reading this whole thread for the past couple of day (currently at page 80 or so). I have in my sights the remote version of the Xelento, I wanted to know if it´s still a relevant IEM in 2021, I can get them from my local Amazon for around 550 USD with taxes, so not too shabby, but also not pocket change (at least for me) and also a bit worried about the driver flex thing and lose mmcx connection.

I have/had the following IEMs for reference:

• Ety ER4SR: love the detail and the tuning is really good, maybe a bit bass-lite, I don´t like the fit and the 2D-like imaging.
  • Vsonic GR07 BE: probably my favorite IEM (I stopped buying IEMs for like 4 years after buying this), I love the way it sounded, very delicate, to me it was as if a small band was playing inside my head. I broke them and can´t get a detachable-wire version new.
  • Sony EX800ST: probably my second favorite sounding IEM, besides the awkward fit and lack of isolation, sometimes I find it very thin and harsh with some type of music (like metal), goes best with acoustic.
  • AKG K3003i: my favorite AKG out of the three I own, sounds very good, but I guess nothing special about it, the cable is terrible and the shells are very heavy.
  • AKG N5005: very dark even with the least damping filter (I think is the white one), the only thing that is better vs the K3003i is the removable cable and lighter shells.
  • JVC FDX1: sounds a bit bassy to me, otherwise I can´t complain, to be honest I think there was more hype about this IEM than what was deserved.
  • FLC8s: reminded me of the K3003i, I hate the cable and I didn't feel like playing with all the filters, but probably is a good sounding IEM, maybe.
  • Sony WF1000X3: the best sounding TWS iem I have heard, I think it sounds better than some wired more expensive IEMs, very spacious, punchy bass, a lots of detail in the treble.

Also, for reference I quite like the Sennheiser HD600, probably my favorite Headphone, also I have a Beyer DT1990 which I found a bit harsh in the treble and not very musical, I enjoy a lot more the Fidelio X2HR.

Sorry for the lengthy post and happy listening.
I'm not 100% sure the Xelento would be a good match for you. I prefer the Xelento to any of the above, but without exception, every IEM you listed has less bass than the Xelento. Most have a lot less bass. Even with the port mod I described a few posts back, the Xelento is still going to have a good amount more bass than anything you've been used to.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you do ever get a chance to audition the Xelento.

May 6, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #2,267 of 2,944
Hi everyone:

I´ve been reading this whole thread for the past couple of day (currently at page 80 or so). I have in my sights the remote version of the Xelento, I wanted to know if it´s still a relevant IEM in 2021, I can get them from my local Amazon for around 550 USD with taxes, so not too shabby, but also not pocket change (at least for me) and also a bit worried about the driver flex thing and lose mmcx connection.
I returned my first pair to Beyerdynamic because of the driver flex (left IEM only); no driver flex at all in two years with the second pair.

May 6, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #2,268 of 2,944
I'm not 100% sure the Xelento would be a good match for you. I prefer the Xelento to any of the above, but without exception, every IEM you listed has less bass than the Xelento. Most have a lot less bass. Even with the port mod I described a few posts back, the Xelento is still going to have a good amount more bass than anything you've been used to.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts if you do ever get a chance to audition the Xelento.
Sadly they sold out yesterday, I guess it was a good price. Anyway, I think you are right. based on the measurements available, they seemed too bassy for me, I think the Sony WF1000XM3 were more than enough. I am kinda relieved they are not available anymore since I actually didn't wanted to spend 550 USD on a new IEM, but it was a good price to let it pass. If I ever have the chance to audition them, I will post my impressions here.

Thanks.

May 13, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #2,269 of 2,944
I'm in the UK and just bought the wireless version from Newegg Global for £570 including shipping from USA to UK and our 20% VAT+import fees, which is a far better price than anything we have in the UK currently (they are all listed at £999.99 on reputable dealer websites and the cheapest wired version is £630 from Amazon).

For all you Americans the price is $619.00, which seems like a ridiculously good deal for the wireless versions of these headphones. If anyone wants to buy here is the link: https://www.newegg.com/beyerdynamic-717959-in-ear/p/0TH-02C6-00011?Item=0TH-02C6-00011

Was considering waiting for the new Sennheiser IE 900s, but thought at this price for the Bluetooth version of the Xelentos it was a steal!

Hopefully I will like them, as the return process from UK to USA would likely not be a fun one!

May 15, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #2,271 of 2,944
Hi everyone. So I finally got these after “stalking” them for the better part of a year on Amazon.
Read a bunch of reviews before and I hoped for something better than my XBA-Z5.
Safe to say, I think I got what I was looking for with the Xelentos.
The Xelentos really do surprise me every time I listen to music with them. They are great IEMs.

May 15, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #2,272 of 2,944
They are great .. but no international support at all.

I can't get any replacement parts .. I bought on amazon.de a used pair. I don't need any warranty, I just need some parts. but they don't sell therm.

I will probably go to the little Sennheiser IE 900 and forget this brand.

May 19, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #2,273 of 2,944
Though I already pre-ordered and I am waiting for the IE 900 as Sennheiser seems to be a more serious firm than Beyerdynamic with selling all IEM parts on their Website, I have to wait awhile to receive it (beginning of June)..
So, I could notice these last days that the sound coming from the ear without the protection grille was a "fuller" and a bit less VShape than standard Xelento, though, I have inserted in the tube some ultra airy light protection foam that is helping to avoid anything to go inside the tube of the earphone (in the pocket or from the ear.

Strangely, It's working rather fine, so now I have put this foam in both ears instead of both protection grilles .. I would think, it's nearly a bit better than original grille, at least different, with some more upper mid and high frequencies.

As Beyerdynamic don't sell any parts to end users (who bought a used IEM on amazon) ... it's a rather good way to replace this stupid protection grille !!!

I will never buy anymore something from Beyerdynamic as they don't sell any parts to end users... they are definitely not serious at all.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #2,274 of 2,944
Though I already pre-ordered and I am waiting for the IE 900 as Sennheiser seems to be a more serious firm than Beyerdynamic with selling all IEM parts on their Website, I have to wait awhile to receive it (beginning of June)..
So, I could notice these last days that the sound coming from the ear without the protection grille was a "fuller" and a bit less VShape than standard Xelento, though, I have inserted in the tube some ultra airy light protection foam that is helping to avoid anything to go inside the tube of the earphone (in the pocket or from the ear.

Strangely, It's working rather fine, so now I have put this foam in both ears instead of both protection grilles .. I would think, it's nearly a bit better than original grille, at least different, with some more upper mid and high frequencies.

As Beyerdynamic don't sell any parts to end users (who bought a used IEM on amazon) ... it's a rather good way to replace this stupid protection grille !!!

I will never buy anymore something from Beyerdynamic as they don't sell any parts to end users... they are definitely not serious at all.
Beyerdynamic North America has the grills and they can be purchased of them.

Doubt they will ship to France but it's worth a shot. Maybe they can arrange something for you. Their customer service is really good generally.

https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/company/contact/contact-form

May 19, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #2,275 of 2,944
Beyerdynamic North America has the grills and they can be purchased of them.

Doubt they will ship to France but it's worth a shot. Maybe they can arrange something for you. Their customer service is really good generally.

https://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/company/contact/contact-form
I tried with Beyerdynamic Germany ..... and though we are both in EEC, they didn't accept to sell me any parts of the Xelento ..
They oblige me to go through the French Dealer .. which never answered to any of my mails, and, as many french dealers they will probably ask my amazon invoice as if I want ed a warranty and not just buy a very cheap part (grilles and tips).

I think it's totally unacceptable not to have any web sales for small parts .. I don't want to send anywhere my IEM. So Beyerdynmic is not made for me anymore.

May 19, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #2,276 of 2,944
I tried with Beyerdynamic Germany ..... and though we are both in EEC, they didn't accept to sell me any parts of the Xelento ..
They oblige me to go through the French Dealer .. which never answered to any of my mails, and, as many french dealers they will probably ask my amazon invoice as if I want ed a warranty and not just buy a very cheap part (grilles and tips).

I think it's totally unacceptable not to have any web sales for small parts .. I don't want to send anywhere my IEM. So Beyerdynmic is not made for me anymore.
I hear your frustration. But airing it out here will not resolve it , I have not seen a Beyer rep here ever.

Try to contact NA Beyerdynamic like I told you, they're usually helpful. Could arrange to ship to intermediate destination first. I didn't have to send them Xelento just to get replacement grills.

Alternatively, you can order fake Xelento from AliExpress where the grill should be the same size. Or contact that AliExpress seller to see if they can source just the grills for you.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0YLtUN

May 19, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #2,277 of 2,944
My Xelento Wireless just arrived from Newegg and I love them! They're so small and light, coming from FiiO FH7 which weigh more than twice as much and are a lot bulkier, can actually lie down on my side in bed without them being uncomfortable which is great as I only really listen to my IEMs in bed.

Do these earphones seem to benefit from any "burn-in" in your experience or should they be pretty much good to go out of the box?

May 19, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #2,278 of 2,944
My Xelento Wireless just arrived from Newegg and I love them! They're so small and light, coming from FiiO FH7 which weigh more than twice as much and are a lot bulkier, can actually lie down on my side in bed without them being uncomfortable which is great as I only really listen to my IEMs in bed.

Do these earphones seem to benefit from any "burn-in" in your experience or should they be pretty much good to go out of the box?
Mine improved with several hours of burn-in. Another thing is to get a good fit using the eartips supplied with them. Some things to note are that the silicone eartips require a specific orientation. I documented this here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/beyerdynamic-xelento.827372/page-150#post-16313051

Also, the MMCX cable that attaches to the shell of the Xelentos has a tiny dot that needs to be matched up with a dot on the headshell. If you look carefully at the right earpiece, you'll see a tiny dot on the outside of the shell. There's a corresponding dot on the black rubber sleeving of the right side cable. Both dots are supposed to match up to show that the cable is attached correctly. The left earpiece and cable does not have these markings, but it needs to be connected in the same way (but mirrored) as the right earpiece.

This information is in the instruction leaflet.

May 19, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #2,279 of 2,944
So, after almost two weeks of having these IEMs I can safely sat that I really like them.
Comparing them to my XBA-Z5 the bass is not as loud but the definition is top notch, and thanks to that it doesn't seem to bleed into the mids as much.
Thanks to the added clarity of the Xelento over the Z5 everything sounds a little bit better, and if you miss the awesome and huge bass of the Z5 adjusting the EQ will almost match it, although their visceral feeling will not be nearly as present.

May 19, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #2,280 of 2,944
So, after almost two weeks of having these IEMs I can safely sat that I really like them.
Comparing them to my XBA-Z5 the bass is not as loud but the definition is top notch, and thanks to that it doesn't seem to bleed into the mids as much.
Thanks to the added clarity of the Xelento over the Z5 everything sounds a little bit better, and if you miss the awesome and huge bass of the Z5 adjusting the EQ will almost match it, although their visceral feeling will not be nearly as present.
Assuming you're using mushroom stock tips?

Bass level goes up significantly with Final E or Spinfit CP145 tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back