Beyerdynamic Xelento!
May 20, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #2,281 of 2,949
Hi folks,

I'm just waiting to receive a pair of Xelentos from amazon warehouse (hoping they are originals and no one returned them changing for fakes, as once happened to me with another product). I've read for hours this thread and every 3 pages there's a question about this topic, but i have not found deep answers/ discussions as response. So i'm still full of doubts about the possibility of using a balanced cable to connect it to an AK sr25. It seems that the fit and comfort would be compromised if not using the original connectors with angled shape. Does anyone know where to find the AK TiE balanced cables?. And, if not, any positive experience with another cable?
Cables without any kind of memory, as the Alo Audio silver for the Atlas, would do the job?

I'm not interested in spending more than 100€ and not really worried about the material. I have never found big changes from silver to copper, so my concerns are about comfort and compatibility with Xelentos shape.

Thanks in advance!

May 20, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #2,283 of 2,949
Assuming you're using mushroom stock tips?

Bass level goes up significantly with Final E or Spinfit CP145 tips.
I've been using the stock silicone tips, Spinfit CP100, and Sony Hybrid tips.
Even with the added bass of the Spinfit and Sony tips, it still pales in comparison to the XBA-Z5. Not because it's not enough because there's plenty of fun bass on the Xelentos, but because the Z5 bass is just huge, maybe too much sometimes.

Of the three tips I mentioned, I like the ease of use of the Spinfit and Sony Hybrid and the sound of the stock ones. The differences are minimal to me, but they're there.

May 20, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #2,284 of 2,949
I prefer a lightweight cable and for this reason I'm using the IBasso CB12s with my Xelento, it does the job perfectly for me.
Thanks. I just tried it the ibasso cable for the it01 with Campfire Vega last week and i liked it. I'll put it in my list. So, a least with that one, it's not so problematic having straight, not angled connectors? I remember reading a few complains about the iems pulling out with third party cables...

May 20, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #2,285 of 2,949
Thanks. I just tried it the ibasso cable for the it01 with Campfire Vega last week and i liked it. I'll put it in my list. So, a least with that one, it's not so problematic having straight, not angled connectors? I remember reading a few complains about the iems pulling out with third party cables...
Well I would definitely prefer the mmcx connectors to have an angle like the Beyerdynamic originals but suitable alternative cables are tricky to find, the straight mmcx plug doesn't seem to be a problem for me though.

I can't use my original cables because both of them (wired with remote and without remote) had issues from new with bad connections and when I wanted to return Amazon offered me £80 off the price so I got mine for £360 brand new in the end which I thought was a good price.

May 20, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #2,286 of 2,949
Hi folks,

I'm just waiting to receive a pair of Xelentos from amazon warehouse (hoping they are originals and no one returned them changing for fakes, as once happened to me with another product). I've read for hours this thread and every 3 pages there's a question about this topic, but i have not found deep answers/ discussions as response. So i'm still full of doubts about the possibility of using a balanced cable to connect it to an AK sr25. It seems that the fit and comfort would be compromised if not using the original connectors with angled shape. Does anyone know where to find the AK TiE balanced cables?. And, if not, any positive experience with another cable?
Cables without any kind of memory, as the Alo Audio silver for the Atlas, would do the job?

I'm not interested in spending more than 100€ and not really worried about the material. I have never found big changes from silver to copper, so my concerns are about comfort and compatibility with Xelentos shape.

Thanks in advance!
You could try contacting Dunu to see if they can sell you a DUW 02s modular cable with the curved connectors they bundle with the EST112 (or DK2001, which came with the first gen DUW 02 (no s). Unfortunately the cable sold as a separate only comes with straight connectors, but they are very responsive (use messenger app on the website).
https://www.dunu-topsound.com/product-page/duw-02-cable
IMG_1894.JPG

Otherwise a straight connector on a nice skinny 4 core like https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKlli9L also works well. As long as the cable is light you shouldn't have fit issues.

May 20, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #2,287 of 2,949
You could try contacting Dunu to see if they can sell you a DUW 02s modular cable with the curved connectors they bundle with the EST112 (or DK2001, which came with the first gen DUW 02 (no s). Unfortunately the cable sold as a separate only comes with straight connectors, but they are very responsive (use messenger app on the website).
https://www.dunu-topsound.com/product-page/duw-02-cable

Otherwise a straight connector on a nice skinny 4 core like https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKlli9L also works well. As long as the cable is light you shouldn't have fit issues.
I actually do have that cable but I find when using the Beyer silicone eartips the cable is too stiff/heavy and it pulls the IEM's out of my ears and I really like the sound the supplied tips provide. As always others experience may differ.

May 20, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #2,288 of 2,949
I actually do have that cable but I find when using the Beyer silicone eartips the cable is too stiff/heavy and it pulls the IEM's out of my ears and I really like the sound the supplied tips provide. As always others experience may differ.
I did end up stripping the plastic sheath that holds the shape round the ears because I had the same problem :wink:
Then switched to Tennmak foams, now nothing moves them!

May 20, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #2,289 of 2,949
Been through most of the supplied tips, tried Spinfit L firstly which, as mentioned, were too boomy, have settled on Spinfit M (not boomy go figure) for now as most coherent. Using Orb Clear Force balanced cable, nice secure fit. Haven't had any noticeable driver flex, unlike with the T8iE MKII's. Only had them playing 5hrs or so figure (hoping) they'll sound even better after more hours are on them.

May 20, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #2,290 of 2,949
The main thing to be careful about with a replacement cable is the size of the mmcx plugs. For the Xelentos to sound their best, you want to get those resonance peaks as high as possible, which means deep insertion. You can only achieve that if you use eartips like the SpinFit Cp100 (or Cp145, or at least something other than stock) and if the mmcx plugs don't get in the way. The stock Xelento cable plugs are fine, but many mmcx plugs are just too large to allow the Xelentos to properly
fit in your ears. (If you look at the photo I posted a few pages back on the vent-mod, you'll see my cable has nothing but heat shrink over the mmcx plug in order to make that connector as small as possible.)

No need to waste money on balanced cables. You already have enough power from your single-ended outputs to destroy your hearing and it's very unlikely (IMHO, impossible) that you'd be getting any benefit beyond placebo by moving to a balanced output.
A small mmcx plug and deeper insertion will make a far bigger difference to the sound.

May 20, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #2,291 of 2,949
Thank you very much for all your answers!

The Xelentos are a present for my father's birthday, whose 72 years old ears (plenty of hi-fi experiences: these iems are my devolution for inoculating on me this expensive neurosis about soundstages and timbres) really need that resonance emphasis and peaks. I conclude that the mmcx plugs must be as small as possible and that it will be better to wait first to see how much he enjoys his classical and jazz recordings through the SE output. If he misses something, i've taken note of all your recommendations.

In any case i'll try one day with him my silver Alo Audio balanced cable (from my Atlas, in fact i'm very interested in comparing them), which has a tiny connector, and then we'll see if that combination results comfortable and provides any kind of positive change in sound.

Meanwhile, i wish you all a day full of surprise massages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back