Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Apr 6, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #871 of 2,949
Well, this is extremely disappointing. The mic and volume control on my Xelento has stopped working. Confirmed on different phones.

Edit1: It's only been 1.5 months. No accident or cable being pulled. No water.
Edit2: Did I mention how disappointed I am?

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #872 of 2,949
Hi, I got my remote version of Xelento recently with Sony ZX300. The sound is great on my classical music library and wonder any improvement on 4.4 balance output. Anyone has suggestion on balance cable on Xelento?

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #873 of 2,949
Word from the folks on the Beyerdynamic booth yesterday at the SoCal CanJam is that the Xelento wireless will be available in the summer - roughly end of June time-frame. Apparently the Bluetooth cable will be sold separately for ~$200.

Speaking as somebody who hates Bluetooth with a passion - this BT cable actually looks quite interesting. It sounds better than the best BT units I've tested (e.g. A&K XB10), no drop-outs (at least at close range) and it also comes with Beyerdynamic's app that lets you personalise the sound signature. I ran a quick measurement of the FR comparing wired vs wireless without the app (no EQ/DSP) and they looked identical. It looks promising :)

As for competing IEMs, there are lots of new products this year, but nothing yet has grabbed me the way the Xelentos did last year.

The B400 is good value for money, if you can live without sub-bass. CA's new Atlas has good treble extension and a chunky low end, but (like much of the CA line) slightly odd ergonomics that seem to prefer being worn cable-down. The new Shozy POLA has some interesting tech in it, but I found its mid-bass too overpowering. Apparently it's still a prototype; I hope its shell design is also prototype, because it's the wrong shape to fit in somebody's ear. The UE18+ is worth a listen, but I think these are really just intended as a gateway to their custom IEMs - their fit is so poor on me - they're too big and just hang outside the conchal bowl. FiiO have some reasonable sounding IEMs (FH1 and F9Pro). They're not quite as refined as the Xelentos (to my ears), but like everything FiiO makes - they're extremely good value for money.

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #874 of 2,949
As for competing IEMs, there are lots of new products this year, but nothing yet has grabbed me the way the Xelentos did last year.

I felt the same way, and I was really surprised at how much I liked the sound of their remote. I do not love the form factor, though... that hanging power unit is something that I would definitely need to get used to.

As happy as I am with X, that discount that UE was offering was just too good to resist. I almost picked up a pair of UE 18+, but I don't really want to replace my Xelento. The only time I want CIEMs instead is when I'm on a plan... so I did get some UERRs for <$600.

I listened to some really good IEMs, and there really weren't any that made me consider trading up. I liked the W80, but they just didn't have the pop of the Xelento. Empire Ears had some nice IEMs, but I felt they were a little too bass focused and the mid-high recession put me off (also, the price is absolutely bonkers for the value to my ears -- for the cost of a Legend, I could have gotten a Layla with the show discount). I really like 1964 audio sound, but it takes at least twice as much money to show any non-compromised improvement over the Xelento, so....

Oh, that's right. I did listen to one set of earphones that I would trade my Xelento for: the Audeze i4. Fortunately, those bad boys are open, so I can't use them in my work environment very much. Also, they're about a bazillion dollars.

Apr 8, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #875 of 2,949
Hi, I got my remote version of Xelento recently with Sony ZX300. The sound is great on my classical music library and wonder any improvement on 4.4 balance output. Anyone has suggestion on balance cable on Xelento?
yes, a big improvement, but used a different cable with a high quality pentaconn plug.

Apr 10, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #876 of 2,949
To anyone who has the Xelento Remote, can someone check the warning on the paper tie/wraps from both the cables (when it's new from the box) to see if one of them has a typo?

EDIT: I also noticed that the other set of cable without the mic set is much much harder to attach to the earphones. I can't even rotate the connector once attached. Not sure if this is by design, poor quality control, or perhaps one set of cable was swapped out and is fake (unlikely).

EDIT2: The typo'd word is "fir." Should be "fit". I looked closely if the ink just chipped, but the spacing between the i and r vs the i and t are off. Just minor thing, but I'm scrutinizing it because it's a $1000 flagship product.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #877 of 2,949
I attempted to do a thorough round-up of new (or new-to-me) IEMs at this year's SoCal CanJam, looking for a (non-electrostatic) IEM that sounds better than the Xelento. I'm not sure I found anything more suitable for me and my small, fussy ear canals, but there are some good products out there. I quite liked the Brainwavs B400 (they're great value for money if you can live without much of a sub-bass), and the Simgot EN700Pro (very reasonably priced, considering the sound).

If anybody's interested, I've updated my initial Xelento review with new measurement comparisons against the TIA Fourte, Simgot EN700Pro, Campfire Audio Atlas and Empire Ears Legend X:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/be...ile-devices.22337/reviews?order=likes#reviews

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #878 of 2,949
I attempted to do a thorough round-up of new (or new-to-me) IEMs at this year's SoCal CanJam, looking for a (non-electrostatic) IEM that sounds better than the Xelento. I'm not sure I found anything more suitable for me and my small, fussy ear canals, but there are some good products out there. I quite liked the Brainwavs B400 (they're great value for money if you can live without much of a sub-bass), and the Simgot EN700Pro (very reasonably priced, considering the sound).

If anybody's interested, I've updated my initial Xelento review with new measurement comparisons against the TIA Fourte, Simgot EN700Pro, Campfire Audio Atlas and Empire Ears Legend X:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/be...ile-devices.22337/reviews?order=likes#reviews

Three more IEM comparison measurements added: Ultimate Ears 18+, Empire Ears Phantom and Westone W80:

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #879 of 2,949

The Simgots are insane value for money. Supreme fit and wonderful sound. X is obviously on a different level. I love em both.

Apr 12, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #880 of 2,949
Hmm the Xelento is closer to the AKT8ie mk2 than I t hought. Not nearly as bright as I would have imagined. Midrange is clearer for sure, bass about the same and Soundstage is quite a bit bigger due to more treble extension.

Apr 12, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #881 of 2,949
Hmm the Xelento is closer to the AKT8ie mk2 than I t hought. Not nearly as bright as I would have imagined. Midrange is clearer for sure, bass about the same and Soundstage is quite a bit bigger due to more treble extension.
Well it is still essentially the same IEM with some tweaks (and most likely changes that are greatly due to the different cable). :wink:

Apr 12, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #882 of 2,949
To anyone who has the Xelento Remote, can someone check the warning on the paper tie/wraps from both the cables (when it's new from the box) to see if one of them has a typo?

EDIT: I also noticed that the other set of cable without the mic set is much much harder to attach to the earphones. I can't even rotate the connector once attached. Not sure if this is by design, poor quality control, or perhaps one set of cable was swapped out and is fake (unlikely).

EDIT2: The typo'd word is "fir." Should be "fit". I looked closely if the ink just chipped, but the spacing between the i and r vs the i and t are off. Just minor thing, but I'm scrutinizing it because it's a $1000 flagship product.
Both my audio only cable has the black sleeve with the bayerdynamic name on it, I can't really comment on the rotation, mine isn't really loose or tight, but it does rotate, no matter how tight or loose, you should be able to rotate it. being tight is not a bad thing, at least it won't just drop off.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #883 of 2,949

I have the same “fir” typo on the cable tie. And yes the non mic cable does have a very tight fit into the socket. I wouldn’t worry too much.

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #884 of 2,949
Both my audio only cable has the black sleeve with the bayerdynamic name on it, I can really comment on the rotation, mine isn't really loose or tight, but it does rotate, no matter how tight or loose, you should be able to rotate it. being tight is not a bad thing, at least it won't just drop off.

I have the same “fir” typo on the cable tie. And yes the non mic cable does have a very tight fit into the socket. I wouldn’t worry too much.

Thanks for the responses! I was beginning to worry that one of my cable were swapped out with a fake one and that something is wrong with it. I will go ahead and just send the broken remote cable and drivers for RMA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back