Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Apr 24, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #901 of 2,944
According to some official pictures (albeit pre-production ones) I have seen, are you sure about this extra cable that plugs into the bottom of the BT transmitter that turns the headphones into wired mode, rather than having to swap out the cables entirely at the MMCX connectors? It looks to me like they are including this wired remote cable with MMCX connectors in the Xelento wireless package rather than a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male extension cable that you can plug into the bottom of the BT unit. But I could be wrong since the photos could be from pre-production or very early in the design - the announcement from Xelento wireless to actual production has lapsed for more than a year.

If you ask me, I prefer the extension cable approach that you can plug into the bottom of the BT unit for convenience, but from a puriest's point of view, or if the majority of the time I am going to use it in wired mode and only use the BT unit occasionally for wire-free convenience, I'd rather swap out the entire cable (sans remote) at the MMCX connector so the BT unit is not in the signal path at all.

Apr 24, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #902 of 2,944
The only thing you might be missing by buying the remote (wired) version first is the cable that attaches to the bottom of the BT transmitter. I'm not sure if that extra cable will come with the BT unit sold separately for $200. If not, you'd have to swap the wires at the mmcx connectors.
Not to mention, the cable being micro USB to 3.5 is hard to find if you are going for a third party brand, and my not be wired the same.

Apr 24, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #903 of 2,944
According to some official pictures (albeit pre-production ones) I have seen, are you sure about this extra cable that plugs into the bottom of the BT transmitter that turns the headphones into wired mode, rather than having to swap out the cables entirely at the MMCX connectors? It looks to me like they are including this wired remote cable with MMCX connectors in the Xelento wireless package rather than a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male extension cable that you can plug into the bottom of the BT unit. But I could be wrong since the photos could be from pre-production or very early in the design - the announcement from Xelento wireless to actual production has lapsed for more than a year.

If you ask me, I prefer the extension cable approach that you can plug into the bottom of the BT unit for convenience, but from a puriest's point of view, or if the majority of the time I am going to use it in wired mode and only use the BT unit occasionally for wire-free convenience, I'd rather swap out the entire cable (sans remote) at the MMCX connector so the BT unit is not in the signal path at all.
According to CNET's review, the option to go wired involves a cable plugged into the bottom of the transceiver:

https://www.cnet.com/products/beyerdynamic-xelento-wireless/preview/

I can't recall if the transceiver unit I tested had such a connection port and I don't know if this would allow the customizable MIY EQ app to also work in wired mode. I agree, if you're listening mostly through a wired connection, you might want to skip the transceiver module altogether and plug in a single cable at the mmcx connectors.

Apr 24, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #904 of 2,944
This is what I posted back in October, it's the official leaflet from BD.

15073351566771323664203.jpg
1507335177814687412766.jpg

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #908 of 2,944
Genuinely curious as to why you're selling them. Did you buy a KSE1500? What else did you find that sounds better than the Xelento?!?

Some of the best IEMs I have sold / am selling for Xelento are KSE1500 and UM Mentor.

I am now selling Xelento to keep my N5005 because they are a tad cleaner in the highs. There are some coloration on vocals on the N5005 which I enjoy (boosted 3kHz). However I sure am going to miss the bass and comfort from the Xelento. The N5005 with bass filter is bassier than Xelento, but the sub-bass is just not as lively / moving. Hard to part way with either but sadly one must go.

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #909 of 2,944
Some of the best IEMs I have sold / am selling for Xelento are KSE1500 and UM Mentor.

I am now selling Xelento to keep my N5005 because they are a tad cleaner in the highs. There are some coloration on vocals on the N5005 which I enjoy (boosted 3kHz). However I sure am going to miss the bass and comfort from the Xelento. The N5005 with bass filter is bassier than Xelento, but the sub-bass is just not as lively / moving. Hard to part way with either but sadly one must go.
Interesting - thanks! I've not heard the N5005, but I've seen reported measurements showing a fairly intense spike around 11 kHz. Is that your experience too? I know many people enjoy that a really solid v-shaped sound signature (there are still lots of IE800 fans out there).

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #910 of 2,944
Interesting - thanks! I've not heard the N5005, but I've seen reported measurements showing a fairly intense spike around 11 kHz. Is that your experience too? I know many people enjoy that a really solid v-shaped sound signature (there are still lots of IE800 fans out there).
]\

So N5005 is like a IE800 with a flat bass? :)

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #911 of 2,944

I can sympathise, I own both and the xelento are truly special in the sub bass dept. I opted to keep both but I feel your pain.

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #912 of 2,944

There is a spike at or above 11kHz with the n5005. It is not like a 5-6k peak. A 11kHz peak breathes air into the music more than it causes fatigue. The IE800, however, peak at a slighyly lower frequency, and the peak is much louder.

The N5005 is as neutral as the Xelento. Some call them "thin" because there is a dip at 500-1kHz and a bump at 2k-3kHz, similar to the 3003, making vocals sound younger and more "hi-fi". The overall bass-mid-high ratio is as balanced at it gets.

Personally I wouldnt put IE800 in the same league as the Beyer and AKG. Havent heard the IE800S yet.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #913 of 2,944
There is a spike at or above 11kHz with the n5005. It is not like a 5-6k peak. A 11kHz peak breathes air into the music more than it causes fatigue. The IE800, however, peak at a slighyly lower frequency, and the peak is much louder.

The N5005 is as neutral as the Xelento. Some call them "thin" because there is a dip at 500-1kHz and a bump at 2k-3kHz, similar to the 3003, making vocals sound younger and more "hi-fi". The overall bass-mid-high ratio is as balanced at it gets.

Personally I wouldnt put IE800 in the same league as the Beyer and AKG. Havent heard the IE800S yet.

For sonics alone, I'd place IE800 in the same category as both Xelento and other flagships, although Xelento has interchangeable cables :)

Apr 30, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #914 of 2,944
I have found the perfect ear tips for me.

The stock silicon tips sound good, but they don't offer a very tight seal and sit kinda loose in my ear. While I do enjoy them when using the Xelentos at home, I did not like them very much when on the go. The ear tips always became loose while walking and traffic noise was just too loud, overpowering the music completely.

For those moments where carrying a set of 900 EUR IEMs around is inconvenient I bought a set of Rock Zircons at Amazon for 18 EURs. They are known to be decent budget IEMs with very good tips. And indeed they are. The tips are made of a much firmer rubber then the soft tips that come with the Xelentos. When using the Zircon tips on the Xelentos I get a much better seal and they also sit very tightly in my ear.

Apr 30, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #915 of 2,944
Update regarding my RMA of Xelento. Took 45 days from contacting them to receiving my replacement unit today.

The replacement came in a used box with matching serial number and all accessories (case, eartips, clip, manual, two cables). It's definitely a used set since I notice small chips and scratches on the drivers (though I'd take this over the crack from my previous unit). The cable and contents inside the box also smells of men's perfume. Curious why it was returned. I guess I can sell the extra set of cable and call it quits (any guesses how much the silver non-remote cable is worth?).

I missed the sound of the Xelento so much ='( I'm happy to be listening to it again.

Edit 1: Testing the sound right now. So far I dont notice any difference compared to my previous unit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back