Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Apr 13, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #887 of 2,937
Any recommendations where to get the Xelento cheapest? Thank you.
If you’re happy forgoing warranty, sign up for zenmarket. Yahoo auctions japan seems to have X pretty consistently for under usd800. Just keep an eye out for auctions with no VAT added. I just checked and there are none listed currently, but the week I bought mine there were 3 other listings.

Apr 13, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #888 of 2,937
If you’re happy forgoing warranty, sign up for zenmarket. Yahoo auctions japan seems to have X pretty consistently for under usd800. Just keep an eye out for auctions with no VAT added. I just checked and there are none listed currently, but the week I bought mine there were 3 other listings.
Actually I should have done a trade with you...do the same for me with Tera

Apr 13, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #892 of 2,937
I am happy with it since 2013, and is the best i have ever heard !
But i guess you haven't heard it, so talking is cheap:)
I think Charles nailed the size with the Tera player. It's absolutely the right form factor (bricks are ok for home use, but not for carrying around with you).
But I don't understand the crazy-high output impedance of the Tera - it just limits what HPs you can use with it. And what's with the annual 90% price hikes? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BTW, Tera has some serious competition now from this little guy:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...usb-dac-transport-es9218p-and-just-99.874859/

Blackest background you'll ever hear in a device, 0.16 Ohm z-out, 15+ hours of battery life, all major file formats (not just wav!), PCM upto 384/24 and DSD64 natively, bluetooth aptX and LDAC (in both directions!), quad ESS 9218P DAC, touch-screen OS, up to 512 Gb storage via microSD, USB-DAC and USB-digital-out transport functionality, surprisingly powerful (80 mW into 32 ohm), smaller than a matchbox and only $99. I heard it at the SoCal CanJam last weekend and it was awesome. Easily my favorite gadget from that event.

Apr 13, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #894 of 2,937
I think Charles nailed the size with the Tera player. It's absolutely the right form factor (bricks are ok for home use, but not for carrying around with you).
But I don't understand the crazy-high output impedance of the Tera - it just limits what HPs you can use with it. And what's with the annual 90% price hikes? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BTW, Tera has some serious competition now from this little guy:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...usb-dac-transport-es9218p-and-just-99.874859/

Blackest background you'll ever hear in a device, 0.16 Ohm z-out, 15+ hours of battery life, all major file formats (not just wav!), PCM upto 384/24 and DSD64 natively, bluetooth aptX and LDAC (in both directions!), quad ESS 9218P DAC, touch-screen OS, up to 512 Gb storage via microSD, USB-DAC and USB-digital-out transport functionality, surprisingly powerful (80 mW into 32 ohm), smaller than a matchbox and only $99. I heard it at the SoCal CanJam last weekend and it was awesome. Easily my favorite gadget from that event.
Let's return this thread back to normal.
If you want to know more about the Tera Player i invite you to discuss on his own thread.
By the way : Sansa Clip+ is only 25 gr and can do 28 h playback with latest modification, no DSD but can do FLAC:)

Apr 14, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #896 of 2,937
Which balance cable you are using? I am new to cable and no idea on it. Have a search on web but not much discussion on Xelento balance cable.

Anyone knows the stock cable can
re-terminate to balance 4.4 plug?
The stock cable can be reterminated for balanced. My Final Audio cable cost me over USD 250 and the plug is about USD 160. You can find some photos within the thread, I'm on my mobile so I cant repost the photo.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #897 of 2,937
Word from the folks on the Beyerdynamic booth yesterday at the SoCal CanJam is that the Xelento wireless will be available in the summer - roughly end of June time-frame. Apparently the Bluetooth cable will be sold separately for ~$200.

Does anyone know what the price will be for the Xelento Wireless? I've been torn on waiting for them to be release or buying the current Xelento Remote version.

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #899 of 2,937
$1200. It will also come with a cable that attaches to the bottom of the BT unit so that it can also be used in wired mode.

At that price, it would be a better deal to buy the current Xelento (with the two cables) then purchase the BT unit later, though it's a gamble since Beyer might decide not to sell the BT unit separately.

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #900 of 2,937
The only thing you might be missing by buying the remote (wired) version first is the cable that attaches to the bottom of the BT transmitter. I'm not sure if that extra cable will come with the BT unit sold separately for $200. If not, you'd have to swap the wires at the mmcx connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back