Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Aug 30, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #481 of 2,937
I had universal Angies for a while, and the long, thin, oddly angled nozzles made them fit very deep. They sounded very clear, with big bass, and nice treble. Mids were not forward enough for my taste, but I wouldn't say they sounded dark.

I feel like something is wrong with how your Angies fit your ears, but this would be surprising with customs.
The only time I found IEMs muffled wad because the sound was coming out with a bad angle directly at a turn in my left ear canal, instead of going in the direction of the eardrum...

Thank you for your comment. I may have to visit JH Audio office and compare with their universal Angie.

I think it was my word choice. I shouldn't say dark. It's warm, very warm compared to Xelento. I thought Angie was a bright, clear earphones, but maybe this is the sound signature of JH Audio.

I will visit my local JH office soon to check on their new iem, Lola. I will do A/B test then.

Aug 30, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #482 of 2,937
Not truely V-shaped, vocals are not recessed at all because it's tuned that way.
There is no reason to dislike Xelentos if you enjoyed the SE846, trust me.

I agree. It is sort of V-shaped but in a good way. It is well balanced. I thought the vocal was recessed at first, but it's not. As you said, it's tuned that way, which is very pleasing. I have tried many iems, and by far, Xelento is the best for me. My two year old Angie custom is put in the case for a while. I never thought this little Xelento would be this good. The separation is very good, and the bass is somewhat boosted but in very pleasing way. It just makes music alive and fun to listen to. I am loving it.

Aug 30, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #483 of 2,937
My first week or so: initially loved the sound, then spent a few days hearing all my music with a burnished, rich glow which sounded great with horns and strings but otherwise was a bit bland.

Last two days i eq'd more treble and am now finding it very much to my liking: rich and warm with more air and better treble sparkle.

Still not getting the wide soundstage some seem to be hearing but it is better in this regard than when brand new. Maybe with the recommended 100 hours I will hear more soundstage and and increase in separation.

Listening now to Lindsey Sterling "elements" which is sounding quite exceptional.

Aug 30, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #484 of 2,937
My first week or so: initially loved the sound, then spent a few days hearing all my music with a burnished, rich glow which sounded great with horns and strings but otherwise was a bit bland.

Last two days i eq'd more treble and am now finding it very much to my liking: rich and warm with more air and better treble sparkle.

Still not getting the wide soundstage some seem to be hearing but it is better in this regard than when brand new. Maybe with the recommended 100 hours I will hear more soundstage and and increase in separation.

Listening now to Lindsey Sterling "elements" which is sounding quite exceptional.

I'm around the 50 hours usage time...While it does sound airy, and it doesn't give you a reference start point for the sound, i feel the soundstage is fairly wide, but no so deep. Also the instrument separation seems not to be so well organized. In this regard, i have yet to hear something better than the Grado GR10. They have a superb separation and almost a holographic presentation on all 3 axis, specially when listening to large orchestral music. I also feel the Final FI-BA-SST does a better job at separating the voices from the instruments, giving you 2 separate sound fields, voices forward, and instrument a tad behind. This somehow makes it easier for me to focus on one or another...
But, overall, the Xelento is a pleasure to listen to...they are musical and fun, with very good clarity...I guess it's hard to have everything in a single IEM. I admire each of these 3 for their respective qualities...Each of them bests the other 2 in some regards.

Aug 31, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #487 of 2,937
I don't think that would make a good comparison...

Xelento is warm, euphoric and rich.

UERR is tuned as a reference monitor.
yes i know..but had to ask..am just considering either jh13v2 pro, uerr or ue 18+ as my first ciem.
i have the flc 8s and ak t8ei mkii..just wondering if i really do need the extra expense
of going custom...

update: i asked UE to return my impressions....will instead hold off for now and just enjoy what i have.
(flc 8s and ak t8 ei mkii) that all said, the custom JH 13v2 pros with that tunable bass dial do look enticing.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #488 of 2,937
What is the actual difference between the wired and the remote except for the extra cable and tips? The remote version is like around $130 more expensive than the wired one here in Hong Kong, i wonder it's just because it is newer or actually there are upgrades that i didnt know.
p.s. I've also heard that remote version fixed the cable problem, but is there more?

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #489 of 2,937
What is the actual different between the wired and the remote except for the extra cable and tips? The remote version is like around $130 more expensive than the wired one here in Hong Kong, i wonder it's just because it is newer or actually there are upgrades that i didnt know.
p.s. I've also heard that remote version fixed the cable problem, but is there more?

wired version include audio only cable, remote version has the inline remote+audio only cable, both have different box, different leather case, remote gets extra 2 tips and a replacement filter. wired vs remote have different faceplate.

what is the cost of the remote version.

Sep 1, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #490 of 2,937
What is the actual difference between the wired and the remote except for the extra cable and tips? The remote version is like around $130 more expensive than the wired one here in Hong Kong, i wonder it's just because it is newer or actually there are upgrades that i didnt know.

I have a Xelento Remote - this is their name, I didn't know that there is a difference between versions of Xelento.

Sep 1, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #491 of 2,937
I have the wired version.

Sep 2, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #492 of 2,937
wired version include audio only cable, remote version has the inline remote+audio only cable, both have different box, different leather case, remote gets extra 2 tips and a replacement filter. wired vs remote have different faceplate.

what is the cost of the remote version.
Around 890~900$ retail price
Wired is around 760$
Wired seems to be a better deal but since beyerdynamic didn't produce this model anymore, it is extremly hard to find the wired version.
I've spent a few days looking for it and only found two retailers who were still selling them.

Sep 2, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #493 of 2,937
You have the price in HKD.

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #495 of 2,937
I know, what is the HKD price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back