Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Jul 10, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #377 of 2,944
I just want a better IE800 really but don't think there is one. I tried a lot of iems but they don't resolve as well. Maybe I should upgrade my source instead?

Yeah, perhaps ie800 is your cup of tea! But still, try to make it to Canjam so you can listen and compare to other IEMs. Regardless the price, take a listen to Re2000 and maybe TIA Fourte. With a source upgrade, try DX200 or Plenue 2.

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #378 of 2,944
Here's what I got from my comparison

Bass - IE800 has faster bass, Xelento is warmer in the sub and mid bass but also sounds a bit congested and too thick sounding bleeding in to the mids slightly compared to IE800s faster cleaner more detailed bass.

Mids - little bit recessed compared to Xelento but ie800 more clear and open.

Treble - Xelento sounds a little bit more fleshed out and better timbre but little bit sibilant on some tracks, IE800 treble is thinner but a lot more detailed, airy and resolving, no harsh peaks.

IE800 has effortlessness to the sound like an open back headphone but Xelento sounds like a normal Iem with good soundstage. IE800 sound a bit like it's using ADEL.

Xelento is double the price I was hoping it would be an upgrade but not yet.

I just want a better IE800 really but don't think there is one. I tried a lot of iems but they don't resolve as well. Maybe I should upgrade my source instead?

I agree on bass, the Xelentos sound slower in comparison. However, the IE800's leanness and perceived detail is mainly due to its high treble boost, which I personally would call fake resolution. It's also the reason why mids sound a bit recessed on the IE800, imo the Xelentos have clearly a more accurate tonal balance throughout mids and treble.

I think it will be hard to find an upgrade to the IE800, if your idea of "upgrade" boils down to even more boosted treble and even thinner sounding high range.

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #379 of 2,944

I've owned both ,

being an insane enthusiast of single dynamic IEMS , i use to own an IE800 , which were my favorite for a very very long time . They sound so good , they are almost faultless with any source . Until i heard the Xelento in Canjam singapore , i dropped my money and ordered one . Due to contrary belief , the Xelentos are actually extremely picky , their sound changes DRAMATICALLY with any slight change , it could be eartips , source , cables and even termination . Pair it wrongly , and it's total hell ; pair it right , and it's reward beyond belief . This versatility and customization possibility allows you to greatly , and further tune the Xelento to your preferred choice of sound , after all , sound is indeed preferential .

Before i bought the Xelento S$1599 , i did gave the IE800 a try again , to re-verify my findings in the Xelento before dropping the sum on it . The plus that made me lean towards the Xelento were that it was more energetic sounding , everything sound so much more intimate , yet so much more lively when needed , treble was more open and less thin and splashy , instrumentals were more distinctly seperated , staging was far when required , bass was extended but not overfocused . And the fact that it allowed me to roll tips , change cables to all MMCX , support custom balanced cables to use with my AK70 , i think it's a huge plus .

Having learnt that Sennheiser have slashed their prices from S$1299 to S$990 in the last year , i think the IE800 is a very competitive single dynamic that stands its ground and most definitely have it's own fanbase , i would wholeheartedly reccomend the Sennheiser IE800 at it's current standpoint because at S$990 , it makes sense . Don't be worried on the choices that you make , this is an audio community , everyone has different liking , but both are great iems in my honest opinion :D

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #380 of 2,944
Well genuine new IE800s in the UK cost $600 so that's what I paid and I don't want more boosted bass and treble just more refinement and detail etc, I would say the DN200J has false treble detail where as on my IE800 there is no hard peaks on my ears because of the resonator, I think this is how axel grell explained how you are able to hear all this extra detail because they eliminated the peaks at 6/7/8khz.

I will indeed keep trying more is but I don't want to spend $3000 for an upgrade, I might have to hang on and wait for trickle down.

Regarding source I still haven't heard anything below £1000 that beats the Mojo effortless sound. I might need to leave HeadFi lol I have a feeling an upgrade will lead me to selling a kidney.

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #381 of 2,944
Well genuine new IE800s in the UK cost $600 so that's what I paid and I don't want more boosted bass and treble just more refinement and detail etc, I would say the DN200J has false treble detail where as on my IE800 there is no hard peaks on my ears because of the resonator, I think this is how axel grell explained how you are able to hear all this extra detail because they eliminated the peaks at 6/7/8khz.

I will indeed keep trying more is but I don't want to spend $3000 for an upgrade, I might have to hang on and wait for trickle down.

Regarding source I still haven't heard anything below £1000 that beats the Mojo effortless sound. I might need to leave HeadFi lol I have a feeling an upgrade will lead me to selling a kidney.

The problem, we hear things differently. Based on some of the impressions, people find IE800 overwhelming, while you find it just right. The same with some recommendations, they might work for others but not for you. Take advantage of CanJam where you can listen to a lot of different gear, relying on your own ears.

I personally think Xelento is fantastic, very smooth and natural tonality, despite a peak around 7k which just adds better definition/clarity (my ears are sensitive to sibilance, and this doesn't trigger anything), for sure elevated sub-/mid-bass which can get a bit overwhelming with a tight seal, so you do need to go through eartips to find the best fit/seal. Also, it pairs up better with neutral/brighter sources, while Mojo, which is known for being fuller body warmer source, might tip the scale where you hear bass being thicker/congested.

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #382 of 2,944
Wondering, since Xelento is a dynamic driver IEM, the shell has to be ported somewhere. The only place I can think of is around/behind the round faceplate, maybe next to "b" in "beyerdynamic ))))" logo?

Btw, unless I relax the seal using smaller eartips, most of the eartips give me a driver flex in left earpiece.

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #383 of 2,944
The problem, we hear things differently. Based on some of the impressions, people find IE800 overwhelming, while you find it just right. The same with some recommendations, they might work for others but not for you.
Right with you here, not everyone is after surrealistic clarity and details.
Typically what I hate in IE800 and even more in "overdetailed" IEMs like the Zeus. Zeus felt like a "wall" of mids thrown at your face.

But some people just love them exactly for the same reason.

I think Xelentos/AK T8iE just feel energetic and effortless, without any agressivity. Very appealing for most except detail addicts.

Jul 11, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #384 of 2,944
Wondering, since Xelento is a dynamic driver IEM, the shell has to be ported somewhere. The only place I can think of is around/behind the round faceplate, maybe next to "b" in "beyerdynamic ))))" logo?

Btw, unless I relax the seal using smaller eartips, most of the eartips give me a driver flex in left earpiece.

Are you referring to the air ports, it's behind the facel plate, since mine is slightly different than yours in design, on the facel plate you will see a cutout near the B and logo, one is to hold the plate in the right direction, the other has a smal hole, the plate is glued on pretty tight and will not come off easily. The information was given to me by the sole agent in Hong kong.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #385 of 2,944
Are you referring to the air ports, it's behind the facel plate, since mine is slightly different than yours in design, on the facel plate you will see a cutout near the B and logo, one is to hold the plate in the right direction, the other has a smal hole, the plate is glued on pretty tight and will not come off easily. The information was given to me by the sole agent in Hong kong.

Yep, that's what I thought! Thanks for confirmation!

beyer_xelento-27.jpg

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #386 of 2,944
Right with you here, not everyone is after surrealistic clarity and details.
Typically what I hate in IE800 and even more in "overdetailed" IEMs like the Zeus. Zeus felt like a "wall" of mids thrown at your face.

But some people just love them exactly for the same reason.

I think Xelentos/AK T8iE just feel energetic and effortless, without any agressivity. Very appealing for most except detail addicts.

... in a natural way, at least that's how I hear Xelento since I'm not familiar with T8iE.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #387 of 2,944
Jul 12, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #389 of 2,944
hmm, why is your faceplate has flipped colors? :wink:

That was the earliest Xelento Wired edition ,
Xelento Remote came after , and now , there's the Xelento Wireless .

Although Xelento Remote & Xelento wireless have the same housing and faceplate , no one actually compared the sonic difference between the Xelento wired and the Xelento remote , but they are most probably the same in terms of sound .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back