Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Apr 23, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #196 of 2,944
  I found it the opposite for load on amplifiers compared to say the isine 20 or Rha iems they are easy to drive.

Quote:

I'm curious about the statement of how the AKG K3003 is a "very difficult load for most amps". Could you explain?

AKG K3003 is rated at 8 Ohms load. Typical loudspeakers are 8 Ohms. This is like driving loudspeakers with your headphone amplifier. Most HP amps are not rated to drive below 16 Ohms. For the ideal technical pairing, the amp's output Z should be less than 1 Ohm for balanced-armature IEMs at this load. But this is only tech talk. What sounds best to you is more important. 

Westone W80 are 5 Ohms

Shure SE-846 are 9 Ohms

Beyerdynamic Xelento are 16 Ohms

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #197 of 2,944

AKG K3003 is rated at 8 Ohms load. Typical loudspeakers are 8 Ohms. This is like driving loudspeakers with your headphone amplifier. Most HP amps are not rated to drive below 16 Ohms. For the ideal technical pairing, the amp's output Z should be less than 1 Ohm for balanced-armature IEMs at this load. But this is only tech talk. What sounds best to you is more important. 

Westone W80 are 5 Ohms

Shure SE-846 are 9 Ohms

Beyerdynamic Xelento are 16 Ohms

Thanks for the explanation HiFiGuy528. I have a Dragonfly Red I've been using to drive the AKG K3003, so far it sounds decent with a bit more detail than without. I'm still debating whether to get the Xelento or the Campfire Vegas.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #198 of 2,944
I'm curious about the statement of how the AKG K3003 is a "very difficult load for most amps". Could you explain?

Mr. T's review of the similar Dunu 2000J (~8 ohm) has a good "Electrical Impedance and Source Matching" section (about halfway down) on explaining the difficulties for these types of IEM

https://cymbacavum.com/2015/06/13/gojira-or-how-the-dunu-dn-2000j-changed-my-mind-about-hybrid-iems/3/

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #199 of 2,944
My xelento sounds less smooth and alittle harsh on the highs when compared(by memory) to the CanJam Singapore Demo . Looks like some burn in is needed :)

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #200 of 2,944
My xelento sounds less smooth and alittle harsh on the highs when compared(by memory) to the CanJam Singapore Demo . Looks like some burn in is needed
smily_headphones1.gif

I actually switched it to Ken's ALO SPC cable (stock Vega and Andromeda) and enjoying it more in comparison to Xelento stock spc cable.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #201 of 2,944

My xelento sounds less smooth and alittle harsh on the highs when compared(by memory) to the CanJam Singapore Demo . Looks like some burn in is needed
smily_headphones1.gif

I actually switched it to Ken's ALO SPC cable (stock Vega and Andromeda) and enjoying it more in comparison to Xelento stock spc cable.

Have you tried the stock cable from final audio Lab 2.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #202 of 2,944

smily_headphones1.gif

sorry, don't have final audio.

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #203 of 2,944

smily_headphones1.gif

sorry, don't have final audio.

Thanks, It seems like I have to buy one and test it out.

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #204 of 2,944

Good thing this xelento accepts standard third party mmcx with no issues :)

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #205 of 2,944

Good thing this xelento accepts standard third party mmcx with no issues
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, the Xelento does have issues with MMCX from third party brands, it's a test and trial. But the main thing is that if you want a good MMCX cable to matches the Xelento, there isn't much options out there, mostly because the MMCX plug on the Xelento is extra small, the standard shrue type or that most is based on the same size are big and ugly when used on the Xelento, that while i'm considering the Final Audio Lab 2 cable.

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #207 of 2,944
  If you have AK player with 2.5mm balanced, I recommend this upgrade cable, Linum® Balanced.

http://www.linum.dk/home

Thanks, I know about these brand, many has tried them on the AK T8ie or xelento, the MMCX don't work well, the sound cuts of and sometimes crackles.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #208 of 2,944
Apr 24, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #209 of 2,944
Where can one buy "Xelento wired" version, not the remote one?

Doesn't really matters, you also get the non remote cable in the box.

Exactly, "remote" version gives you a bonus SPC cable with in-line remote in addition to audio only SPC cable.

I am more interested in the 2.5mm TRRS balanced cable "Xelento wired" comes with than remote cable.

The xelento does not come with the 2.5 mm cable, what you want is the AK T8ie MK2.

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #210 of 2,944
I tried a few balanced mmcx cables, and both from a bass level and ergonomy point of view, I found the FiiO RC-SE1B to give good results with my T8iE (so it should apply to Xelento).
Its connectors are quite tight and not angled (angled connectors and rigid earguides make Xelento/AK T8iE fit become very difficult, the cable need to remain flexible with these IEMs).
And it keeps the good bass.

The Fidue balanced cable for the A83 made the fit bad (angled connectors) and did decrease the bass.
I tried custom-made cables as well but nothing came close to the price/performance ratio of the FiiO cable (in the <120$ category, which is my personal limit for a cable).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back