Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Nov 21, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #631 of 2,944
seems like we're in agreement about them Xelentos!

BTW, what do you get hiss with? I don't get any with any of my DAPs...
You're a lucky guy George :) All of my DAPs hiss - it's only a question of how much. A lot depends on your choice of IEM though. My ER4XR don't hiss with anything; with my SE846, I can hear the noise floor on a Hugo 2.

With the Xelentos, I can hear the noise floor on DAPs like my QP1R, but it's very quiet. Quiet enough that it wouldn't bother me.

Nov 21, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #632 of 2,944
You're a lucky guy George :) All of my DAPs hiss - it's only a question of how much. A lot depends on your choice of IEM though. My ER4XR don't hiss with anything; with my SE846, I can hear the noise floor on a Hugo 2.

With the Xelentos, I can hear the noise floor on DAPs like my QP1R, but it's very quiet. Quiet enough that it wouldn't bother me.

I see!

Well, my listening volumes are more like ear bleeding levels most of times, so I guess it is normal I don't really hear or mind hiss as much.

I have DX200, Opus #2, FiiO X7mkii as daily drivers and none hisses.

At the same time, I can hear the hiss of Megamini with almost anything, but that one is kinda known for it. Guess I'm one of the more lucky ones indeed :smile_phones:

I hope you can find a DAP that doesn't hiss with anything for you eventually!

Nov 21, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #633 of 2,944
How do the Xelento remote compare with the Shure se846? I've only had the onemore triple and Shure se846 as reference.

I own the Xelento and the SE846 and would find it tough to part with either one of them. They're both outstanding IEMs and you couldn't really go wrong with either one. Xelento has the better treble extension, but the SE846 can get awfully close with its filter mods (its FR is hugely customizable). Xelento doesn't need to be (and can't be) tuned by the user. The sub-bass in the SE846 is second to none in an IEM - nothing bleeds into the mids. It also has the better isolation. But the Xelentos have those smooth, yet detailed highs... There's an obvious solution here. Buy both :)

P.S. Both IEMs definitely do have plastic shells. The Xelentos have a film covering which makes them look (very convincingly) like metal. Mine are going strong after a year and I've not seen any reports of that finish scratching off.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #634 of 2,944
Xelentos would be a great choice - smooth but detailed, good soundstage, etc. I can't imagine anybody not liking the sound of these.

1. No, they won't leak sound at all.
2. They're designed for relatively shallow insertion. And they're vented. Anybody who tells you they give great isolation is either lying or has never used an Etymotic IEM :wink: I would say they give a reasonable level of isolation.
3. They don't feel cheap. They actually look pretty classy, IMHO. After a year, mine haven't scratched at all.
4. Hiss is remarkably low, considering it's a fairly sensitive IEM.

Hope this helps!

Thanks everybody:) From your descriptions the Xelento are really what I’m looking for to complement the S-Em9 and Prophile 8.Going to order them soon, it’s time to sell my Shure 846 and Es3 :) update: just ordered the xelento.This hobby is expensive

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #635 of 2,944
Hi everyone. I picked up a pair of the xelento wirred two days ago. These are a very engaging sq. I’m very impressed actually for such a small IEM. They sound fabulous just out of my iPhone 7 Plus. But sound absolutely sublime with me theorom 720 dac/ amp. Wow these really perform very good with power. I actually bought the empire ears Athena-VIII last week and as good as they are the mids were just too forward for me as I listen my cans probably 6-10 hours a day and they just got to fatigeing. Actually a shame cause they do sound incredible. My local headphone shop recommended I give these a listen. Long story short these were a no brainer for me. And with the money I saved bought the theroem 720 dac too. Wow what an amp. Maybe a little outdated by a couple years maybe but a very sweet dac/amp non the less. And the synergy between the xelento and the 720 is just nothing short of amazing. I’m still shocked really how they made these little things sound so good.and the fit is so comfortable. These old ears,, or older ears I should say lol are very happy! I’m not very good at describing sq but I do know what sounds good. Happy listening!

Nov 30, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #636 of 2,944
It's been two days I've been listening to the Xelento. These are awesome. So musical yet detailed. Wow.

Nov 30, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #638 of 2,944
Exactly my reaction while using Xelento! :smile_phones:

What surprised me is how they managed to tune it with such big musical bass while maintaining details and clarity in the mids and highs. Not sure how they did it but it's impressive. The soundstage is very wide, wider than my S-EM9 but less 3d. If I have to define the Xelento I would say that they make the music sound simply beautiful :beyersmile: I had or tried many TOTL Iems but the Xelento really deserves to be up there with the other TOTL :) I will keep the Xelento, S-EM9 and Prophile 8, all of them really shine and complement each other very well.

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #639 of 2,944
What surprised me is how they managed to tune it with such big musical bass while maintaining details and clarity in the mids and highs. Not sure how they did it but it's impressive. The soundstage is very wide, wider than my S-EM9 but less 3d. If I have to define the Xelento I would say that they make the music sound simply beautiful :beyersmile: I had or tried many TOTL Iems but the Xelento really deserves to be up there with the other TOTL :) I will keep the Xelento, S-EM9 and Prophile 8, all of them really shine and complement each other very well.
I've still not tried the Prophile 8, but have had it recommended to me a couple of times. How do you find it compares to the Xelento?

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #641 of 2,944
I was using the second largest tips but I found with some music the bass overshadow the mids a little too much for my tastes. So I backed off and went down to one more size and that seemed to balance it out a bit better. Over all great IEM.specially for the price compared to some other higher offerings.

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #642 of 2,944
I've still not tried the Prophile 8, but have had it recommended to me a couple of times. How do you find it compares to the Xelento?

Xelento and Prophile 8 are very different. Really, Apples and Oranges :) Prophile 8 is flat, reference but still musical. Nothing is boosted. The PP8 impress the listener with the exceptional clarity, transparency and instrument separation. PP8 bass is very tight and very fast and it's present only when it's called upon by the music. For how I see them right now, Xelento makes the music sound beautiful, not matter which music. PP8, while musical, presents the music how it was actually recorded and meant to be by the artist. As I wrote, they complement together extremely well :)

Fit is also very different. PP8 is a custom-like universal, deep insertion, very comfortable and excellent isolation. Xelento has much more of a shallower fit.

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #643 of 2,944
Xelento and Prophile 8 are very different. Really, Apples and Oranges :) Prophile 8 is flat, reference but still musical. Nothing is boosted. The PP8 impress the listener with the exceptional clarity, transparency and instrument separation. PP8 bass is very tight and very fast and it's present only when it's called upon by the music. For how I see them right now, Xelento makes the music sound beautiful, not matter which music. PP8, while musical, presents the music how it was actually recorded and meant to be by the artist. As I wrote, they complement together extremely well :)

Fit is also very different. PP8 is a custom-like universal, deep insertion, very comfortable and excellent isolation. Xelento has much more of a shallower fit.
Thanks for the feedback! You find no problem getting a good fit/seal with the PP8? Those nozzles look a little short and stubby and - as you say - they look like customs, so you've got to hope they just fit in the conchal bowl. The body looks quite large. TBH, I struggled with the Xelentos initially on account on their short, stubby nozzles. (Thankfully, I figured them out eventually!) It sounds like you have an easier time getting a seal with the PP8? Is that correct? Also, are the PP8s vented at all?

Nov 30, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #644 of 2,944
Thanks for the feedback! You find no problem getting a good fit/seal with the PP8? Those nozzles look a little short and stubby and - as you say - they look like customs, so you've got to hope they just fit in the conchal bowl. The body looks quite large. TBH, I struggled with the Xelentos initially on account on their short, stubby nozzles. (Thankfully, I figured them out eventually!) It sounds like you have an easier time getting a seal with the PP8? Is that correct? Also, are the PP8s vented at all?

The PP8 are very very comfortable and I have small ears. For example, I'm selling the Noble X because they are too big for my ears :) With the PP8 is also very easy to get a good seal and the isolation is even better than Shure SE846 which I used to have. The difference between the tips is more about the sonics than the isolation. I could get an excellent seal and isolation with either spinfits medium, RHA and Sony hybrids tips but I eventually chose the Sony as they go deeper so they slightly enhance the bass while maintaining the clarity. With Xelento I'm using the included silicone XL Tips. The PP8 may look big in the pictures but are much much smaller compared to, let's say, Rhapsodio solar I used to have. They are also very low profile when wearing them. Of course they are not as small as the Xelento but not many TOTL Iems are:) BTW InEar just released the S version of the PP8. P.S PP8 are not vented.

Nov 30, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #645 of 2,944
Where in the world can I buy extra stock eartips for the Xelento? They are so comfy. I need to put them on all my IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back