Beyerdynamic Xelento!
Nov 30, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #648 of 2,944
I’m sure it’s been discussed but can anyone give me some impressions on how they pair with the mojo please. I’m probably going to pick one up in a couple weeks and use the theorem for the computer as the mojo is a little more mobile. Thank you

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #649 of 2,944
How do the Xelento remote compare with the Shure se846? I've only had the onemore triple and Shure se846 as reference.
From my personal experience, xelento has a more forward and exciting sound signature, se846 has less spikey treble, less amount in bass.

xelento can be quite boomy in the upper bass and very forward in treble, everything sounds much closer to your ears therefore makes it a little bit fatiguing to listen for a long time when compared to se846. But this characteristic makes it fantastic for pop and acoustic-based music.

se846 has much smoother presentation and equally great performance in bass but less in amount. The only thing I don`t like is that treble is really not enough in amount for me, maybe because this earphone is mainly for monitoring use and therefore have to be in a more easygoing sound signature. And mids of shure is unbeatable, you know that.

Dec 1, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #650 of 2,944
Anyone was able to compare the X to Unique Melody Merlin, Aurisonics ASG-2.5 or Earsonics Velvet?

Dec 1, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #652 of 2,944
Anyone was able to compare the X to Unique Melody Merlin, Aurisonics ASG-2.5 or Earsonics Velvet?
I only possess AK8iE, which may be very slightly different from Xelentos, depending on the cable that is used.
ASG2.5 pack roughly the same amount of bass with the bass port closed (=high amount, with a medium decay that has a lot of impact in mid-bass), with relatively smooth mids-treble for both as well. This is probably the closest pair in the 4 model you mentioned. Merlin have tighter bass and a bit more details and extension in the treble area, at least the v2 I demo-ed.
Can't comment on the Velvet much, they didn't let me play with the port in the shop... so my impressions regarding bass may be biaised.

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #653 of 2,944
I only possess AK8iE, which may be very slightly different from Xelentos, depending on the cable that is used.
ASG2.5 pack roughly the same amount of bass with the bass port closed (=high amount, with a medium decay that has a lot of impact in mid-bass), with relatively smooth mids-treble for both as well. This is probably the closest pair in the 4 model you mentioned. Merlin have tighter bass and a bit more details and extension in the treble area, at least the v2 I demo-ed..

To my ears, although the ASG-2.5 is dark, it has a peak at about 9.3k, which makes the cymbals splashy and has effect on some vocals, which sometomes become borderline sibilant/fatiguing. Do you hear it similar? Comparing the 2.5 to Merlin v1, the UMs are much brighter, but still very smooth and almost completely non fatiguing. Is the Xelento/AT8ie similar in approach to the Aurisonics or UMs?

Dec 2, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #654 of 2,944
I sold my ASG2.5 some time ago, but I do not remember them having much sibilance, but I am not very sensitive.
I can ensure you that AK8iE/Xelentos are smooth as butter for cymbals, unlike other IEMs I possess which have drier treble (Cappuccinos MK1/MK2, Fidue Sirius).

Dec 5, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #655 of 2,944
I am fortunate to have the privilege to live with Unique Melody Mentor V2, JH Layla II and Xelento together for a month. I use them extensively indoor and outdoor. The two competitors are some of the best at any price point in terms of technicality and musicality from my years of experience auditioning TOTL IEMs.

Bottom line is that I am going to sell the UM and the JH and live happily with the Xelento.

Dec 5, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #656 of 2,944
I am fortunate to have the privilege to live with Unique Melody Mentor V2, JH Layla II and Xelento together for a month. I use them extensively indoor and outdoor. The two competitors are some of the best at any price point in terms of technicality and musicality from my years of experience auditioning TOTL IEMs.

Bottom line is that I am going to sell the UM and the JH and live happily with the Xelento.

That's quite an accolade for the Xelento! :thumbsup:

I spent quite a bit of time going back and forth with the IE800 over the last couple of months. In theory they have similar technology with a single dynamic driver.
Bottom line for me was I finally sold my IE800 a couple of weeks ago. Actually, it was a fairly easy decision - the Xelentos were way ahead (at least to my ears), but I still have that hoarder mentality when it comes to parting with any of my headphones.:ksc75smile:

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #657 of 2,944
I have a question regarding the Xelento's reported mediocre passive isolation and how does this affect your enjoyment in your daily commutes, i.e. in noisy trains or buses, or even in a plane. Does the outside noise impact the bass performance at all, or is this IEM best used in a quiet environment? The reason I ask this is, I have tried using my Beyer T51p in my commutes, and while the T51p is a decent pair of headphones in its own right when used in a quieter setting like a small office, I was less than impressed when I use them in a noisy train. The bass is noticeably subdued by the rumbling noise and the headphones are reduced to sounding bright and tinny (relatively speaking), but the T51p were quite V-shaped to begin with and it is already one of the better isolating on-ear headphones (I can't hear my co-workers talk when I'm wearing them). So I worry that if I get the Xelento they might not be the best when used in a commute environment, and am I best sticking with the Shure SE846 or something with much better passive isolation?

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #658 of 2,944
I have a question regarding the Xelento's reported mediocre passive isolation and how does this affect your enjoyment in your daily commutes, i.e. in noisy trains or buses, or even in a plane. Does the outside noise impact the bass performance at all, or is this IEM best used in a quiet environment? The reason I ask this is, I have tried using my Beyer T51p in my commutes, and while the T51p is a decent pair of headphones in its own right when used in a quieter setting like a small office, I was less than impressed when I use them in a noisy train. The bass is noticeably subdued by the rumbling noise and the headphones are reduced to sounding bright and tinny (relatively speaking), but the T51p were quite V-shaped to begin with and it is already one of the better isolating on-ear headphones (I can't hear my co-workers talk when I'm wearing them). So I worry that if I get the Xelento they might not be the best when used in a commute environment, and am I best sticking with the Shure SE846 or something with much better passive isolation?

Short of using a fully sealed IEM with foam eartips, which the Xelento is not, you're better off with a pair of Bose QC35 II. Their Active Noise Cancelling is amazing for commuting and they have great bass extension. They see the most use between all my headphones and IEMs simply because most of my listening is during my daily commute... they noise cancelling really puts you in your own bubble so to speak. I also own the Sony MDR1000x and they do not do as well on transit, bumpy bus rides falsely trigger the ANC more often on the 1000x so can't recommend them for that use.

That said, I don't mind the Xelento's on transit, just don't expect any kind of analytical listening. The bass is elevated as part of the stock sound tuning so that does not suffer horribly on transit. In terms of isolation, do I enjoy Xelento less on transit than my fully sealed SE846 with silicone tips - yes.

To throw a curveball at you, IEM's don't usually fit my ears well however the Xelento never breaks the seal on me. I've used them for 5+ hours on transit in one day and they never broke a seal. For that reason, it makes me actually prefer them over the SE846 as I don't have to fiddle them, put them in and forget about it.

I'll use the Xelento on my commute tomorrow (bus, subway) and try to give you a more detailed rundown of what to expect.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #660 of 2,944
Short of using a fully sealed IEM with foam eartips, which the Xelento is not, you're better off with a pair of Bose QC35 II. Their Active Noise Cancelling is amazing for commuting and they have great bass extension. They see the most use between all my headphones and IEMs simply because most of my listening is during my daily commute... they noise cancelling really puts you in your own bubble so to speak. I also own the Sony MDR1000x and they do not do as well on transit, bumpy bus rides falsely trigger the ANC more often on the 1000x so can't recommend them for that use.

That said, I don't mind the Xelento's on transit, just don't expect any kind of analytical listening. The bass is elevated as part of the stock sound tuning so that does not suffer horribly on transit. In terms of isolation, do I enjoy Xelento less on transit than my fully sealed SE846 with silicone tips - yes.

To throw a curveball at you, IEM's don't usually fit my ears well however the Xelento never breaks the seal on me. I've used them for 5+ hours on transit in one day and they never broke a seal. For that reason, it makes me actually prefer them over the SE846 as I don't have to fiddle them, put them in and forget about it.

I'll use the Xelento on my commute tomorrow (bus, subway) and try to give you a more detailed rundown of what to expect.

Thanks for your detailed comments, much appreciated. To offer a bit more background from my side, I currently happen to be using the SE846 on my daily commutes, and have been for as long as the SE846's were first released. But I agree with you that I find the SE846's fit fiddly - maybe it is the shape of my ears or the shape of the IEM housing, I struggled with them for a long time until I found out that the best way to get the best seal on them was to use the triple-flange sleeves with the smallest part cut off, and this is because the bend in my ear canal is deep and I need a deep insertion to get a good seal, none of the foam or silicone tips have a deep enough insertion and they just pop out after a few seconds - the white triple-flange sleeves have a longer stem and the widest part of the flange could be inserted deep enough to seal, and I settled on this for a while. I have just moved to another part of the city and my daily commutes are now 1.5 hours long one way instead of 30 minutes, the sleeves inside my ears are starting to make me feel a little uncomfortable during the long journey, that's why I am looking for new IEM's with comparable sound quality. Sorry for the diversion to some other IEM's and I will stay on topic.

I have never tried the Xelento, but according to the reviews I have read so far, the fit seems to be quite easy and good, and most people don't complain about having difficulty in finding a good seal. I think this could work for me. I love the Beyer house sound (I already own the T5p.2 and T1.2) but the only concern with the Xelentos for me is how much they are affected by transit noise when used in such an environment. I don't expect to be listening analytically, but I don't want the experience to be ruined in such a way when I attempted the T51p in the exact same setting either.

P.S. ANC headphones are just not my cup of tea, I want to stay with IEM's and the T51p attempt was just an experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back