Beyerdynamic to launch new top headphone at IFA -- called T1
Dec 17, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #751 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NO NO - that is NOT what I am saying at ALL. It's not a lack of detail! That's very different. It is a *slight* lack of top end extension - this comes across as a little less "air" at the top than I would expect - but it's already getting better.

No, I was referring to achristilaw saying he couldn't hear significant portions of the Yo-Yo Ma CD:

Quote:

Listening through the T1 on a recording I know well I was taken a bit aback when I heard the lack of starts and stops on the fingerboard of the Cello. Yo-Yo is an aggressive Cellist and I've always counted those as he plays. Also the Breathing of said artist is unique, long and deep inlet breaths with much longer exhales. I was hearing none of this using the T1.

That's a pretty major lack of sound!

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #752 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone confuses a particularity of the frequency response for a lack of detail, someone else takes this to be a universal property of the headphone, and soon nonsense becomes a fact. No thanks. I'll wait til more impressions are out before jumping to conclusions about it.

I didn't confuse anything. He said he couldn't hear Yo-Yo Ma breathing or moving his hand on the fingerboard. That's a pretty significant loss of detail. Whether it's specific to a particular frequency is another question.

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #753 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Listening through the T1 on a recording I know well I was taken a bit aback when I heard the lack of starts and stops on the fingerboard of the Cello. Yo-Yo is an aggressive Cellist and I've always counted those as he plays. Also the Breathing of said artist is unique, long and deep inlet breaths with much longer exhales. I was hearing none of this using the T1.

I don't get this part. So you're saying that through the T1's, subtle sounds that were obvious through other listening devices were left out of its rendering of the Ma recording?

I would have thought it would have been just the opposite. So if the T1's are masking this part of the recording, what else might it be masking? And do you think that further burn-in will alleviate this?

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #754 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I was referring to achristilaw saying he couldn't hear significant portions of the Yo-Yo Ma CD:

OK, I see - but again, let's see where we all end up after break in.

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #755 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone confuses a particularity of the frequency response for a lack of detail, someone else takes this to be a universal property of the headphone, and soon nonsense becomes a fact. No thanks. I'll wait til more impressions are out before jumping to conclusions about it.

There seems to be a trend on Head-Fi with people associating upper-treble/treble boosted/focused headphones with "fast." This boost does make details more obvious and forward, but sometimes it makes the sound grainy, dry, sterile, and whatever else is typically associated with this frequency balance.

The early report seem to state the T1 have a tamer high end compared to the HD800. So it would make sense that every detail is not thrown in your face.

Beyond this, I've found it rare (unless you are talking about $2 earbuds) for details that are presented clearly on one nice headphone to not be totally obscured on another competent headphone. Typically the details are just presented differently and it takes a bit of adjustment to recognize where they are.

Sometimes it's a question of volume. If the T1 has a heftier bottom end I suspect people will listen to it at lower volume levels than the HD800. This, of course, will hide the details since details are typically at a lower volume than the rest of the music.

I'm not trying to criticize achristilaw's experiences. I'm just posting thoughts to explain what else might be going on.

Let's not forget that I'm also a Beyer fanboi
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #756 of 3,971
Thanks for your early impressions Skylab. Any early comments on similarities/differences to your VXD4? That would help me out since I remember exactly how those sounded.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm considering selling a few things and getting a T1.

Also, does anyone know the best place to buy a T1 in Canada?

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #757 of 3,971
odigg says:

"Typically the details are just presented differently and it takes a bit of adjustment to recognize where they are."

In my experience, this is true, always.

I'll often listen to a recording with the O2, then later with the HD650 or with the DT770, and find myself startled by things that I thought "I'd never heard before." Only it invariably turns out that I'd been listening to them all the time on the O2, it's just that they'd sounded like part of the music, not like ultimately fatiguing anomalies.

As for the JVC DX1000, I'm not sure that you can compare it to ANY other headphone. It proudly stands by itself, I guess, in a category of one. Very fun.

Dec 17, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #760 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get this part. So you're saying that through the T1's, subtle sounds that were obvious through other listening devices were left out of its rendering of the Ma recording?

I would have thought it would have been just the opposite. So if the T1's are masking this part of the recording, what else might it be masking? And do you think that further burn-in will alleviate this?

The "Bass" area will take a bit of burn and repetitive flexing to work it's way into a final character. Natures laws.....ain't mine.

We live in an instant society (most of us) and patience is a lost art. Yes, the transient detail (because of a lack of mechanical speed) was absent. Will it be next week? We will have to wait and find out.....
popcorn.gif

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #761 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There seems to be a trend on Head-Fi with people associating upper-treble/treble boosted/focused headphones with "fast." This boost does make details more obvious and forward, but sometimes it makes the sound grainy, dry, sterile, and whatever else is typically associated with this frequency balance.

The early report seem to state the T1 have a tamer high end compared to the HD800. So it would make sense that every detail is not thrown in your face.

Beyond this, I've found it rare (unless you are talking about $2 earbuds) for details that are presented clearly on one nice headphone to not be totally obscured on another competent headphone. Typically the details are just presented differently and it takes a bit of adjustment to recognize where they are.

Sometimes it's a question of volume. If the T1 has a heftier bottom end I suspect people will listen to it at lower volume levels than the HD800. This, of course, will hide the details since details are typically at a lower volume than the rest of the music.

I'm not trying to criticize achristilaw's experiences. I'm just posting thoughts to explain what else might be going on.

Let's not forget that I'm also a Beyer fanboi
smily_headphones1.gif

Or simply unable to mechanically arrive on time....yet....

OR can't follow the implied signal closely to begin with.......price and Flagship honors does not a good phone make.

Pushing Fletcher-Munson to one side it isn't totally unfathomable that burn-in wouldn't help? Of course not..transient speed is a by-product of Driver Linearity and impulse response. Because the passive outer surround mechanical limits have to physically be "pushed" to determine the piston path. The amount of resistance of pistonic motion after ultimate compliance is calculable and measurable. And the Germans ain't Lazy.... Burn baby Burn...

Dec 17, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #763 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by odigg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Indeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or simply unable to mechanically arrive on time....yet....

OR can't follow the implied signal closely to begin with.......price and Flagship honors does not a good phone make.

Does he breathe exceptionally fast? It should still be there.
Perhaps its an issue of Frequency Response, where the details in question are being drawn back into the mix due to a recession or spike in the HD800 relative to the beyers. Or synergy issues.
It could be anything.

Dec 18, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #765 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does he breathe exceptionally fast? It should still be there.
Perhaps its an issue of Frequency Response, where the details in question are being drawn back into the mix due to a recession or spike in the HD800 relative to the beyers. Or synergy issues.
It could be anything.

Tossing in my guess: frequency response deviation can make it harder to pick the details, but it doesn't gloss them over. That's usually plain ol' distortion. <--Which I'm not implying this headphone is afflicted with, there are other factors at play. Obviously detailed & smooth always beats etched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back