Beyerdynamic to launch new top headphone at IFA -- called T1
Oct 5, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #3,841 of 3,971

Quote:
Issue with T1 as you pointed out is that the cable is non detachable like on the LCD-2 or HD800, but still. I understand your point of view. I know that less people are interested to buy modded gear but when mod is recognized as an improvement it usually is ok though price raise as you also said. I think I'll keep the modified T1 for quite a long period anyway.

Glad your enjoying the new cable and maybe I will take a listen one day. Which cable did you use and what was the price to have it installed if I may ask.

Oct 5, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #3,842 of 3,971
I listened to the cable at slim.a's place which has the T1 with ALO Audio OCC Chain Mail cable, and compared it directly to mine. He has the same DAC and amp I have at the moment, and I sent my pair for recabling to ALO Audio last week. I am waiting to receive it. Prices of the recabling are on ALO website.
The cable as a spare part is also used for the LCD-2.
Only difference is that mine will use Furutech plug while slim.a's one has Cardas Rhodium/gold plug.

You live far away from Oregon but if you have the occasion to go someday I think you can try the cans recabled at their shop.

Oct 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #3,843 of 3,971

Quote:
I have RCA version with no attenuator yet. I was planning to buy one but it would require many adapters because attenuators are only BNC. I'm not in a hurry at the moment to put a cascade of adapters + attenuator behind my DAC while I already have an RCA/RCA male adapter, I'll see.

I agree.  No need for anything else in your set up.

Btw, has Slim.a had a chance to hear your modFace with the coupling connector?

Quote:
I listened to the cable at slim.a's place which has the T1 with ALO Audio OCC Chain Mail cable, and compared it directly to mine. He has the same DAC and amp I have at the moment, and I sent my pair for recabling to ALO Audio last week. I am waiting to receive it. Prices of the recabling are on ALO website.
The cable as a spare part is also used for the LCD-2.

Only difference is that mine will use Furutech plug while slim.a's one has Cardas Rhodium/gold plug.

You live far away from Oregon but if you have the occasion to go someday I think you can try the cans recabled at their shop.

Uh oh, now you're in trouble........
devil_face.gif

USG

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #3,844 of 3,971

Quote:
I agree.  No need for anything else in your set up.

Btw, has Slim.a had a chance to hear your modFace with the coupling connector?

Uh oh, now you're in trouble........
devil_face.gif

USG

slim.a also has the jkeny modified HiFace so he knows well how it sounds and already gave some feedback about it, plus he's to release a review comparing it to Teralink-X2 and Audio-gd DI.

I brought the Real Cable RCA/RCA male adapter to his place before he moved house the time I tried the ALO recabling but he couldn't use the adapter on his bay because it requires the modified HiFace boxed to be plugged directly behind the DAC with the adapter between, which was no good in his setup. In my setup "modFace" rest upon my desk with support below but on his Audio platform the HiFace would have been floating in the air hurting the connectors so he didn't give it a try.

I don't mind about changing plug, I just asked Ken from ALO audio which plug he recommands as he proposed me the Furutech plug straightaway, and he recommended the Furutech over the Cardas with which he sells the brand new recabled version of the T1 as bundle. I read good comments about the Furutech and somewhat bad ones about the Cardas anyway.

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #3,845 of 3,971

Quote:
Curious why people are recabling the T1. The cable it comes with is pretty good. I am not sure why someone would want to hurt the resale value of the headphone. With the LCD2 at least no surgery is needed. I also wondering if it would more difficult to sell.

Because the cable is stupidly connected and the jack is not the best you could dream of. Do my connection mod which I linked several times and you'll see. The actual gain of recabling the T1 is removing two "issues", one is shorted cable shields, another is that you most often get the Furutech FP-704 jack with an aftermarket cable being better than the stock Neutrik NP3X-B.

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #3,846 of 3,971

The actual gain of recabling the T1 is removing two "issues", one is shorted cable shields, another is that you most often get the Furutech FP-704 jack with an aftermarket cable being better than the stock Neutrik NP3X-B.

The stock Neutrik connector isn't bad with respect to sound quality. (Neutrik connectors are used in nearly all recording studios.) But if someone wants to move up to the nice Furutech plug, they could just replace the plug and address both of the issues described without removing the stock cable. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #3,850 of 3,971

Quote:
Out of curiosity has anyone tried a Furutech plug on the stock T1 cable?

I did because I had one sitting around and was bored.  Of course there was no discernible difference in sound, but the Furutech looked nicer for a while- and I prefer how it fits in the jack of my B22 vs the Neutrik the headphones came with.  Now that a few months have gone by, the spring-type cable strain relief part of the Furutech is beginning to rust, which is ridiculous.  The Furutech's next destination will probably be the trash.
redface.gif

Oct 8, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #3,851 of 3,971
Great phones, these. Magic out of the Cary.

I keep finding tiny foam hairs on the earcups when I store them in the case -- has anyone else noticed this? Any chance of this shedding calming down?

o

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #3,852 of 3,971
My T1 has never gone back into the lame case without a handle since I first took the headphones out, because of the foam fibers. I would probably recommend putting the headphones into some type of clear plastic bag and then putting that into the case.

Oct 8, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #3,853 of 3,971

Quote:
My T1 has never gone back into the lame case without a handle since I first took the headphones out, because of the foam fibers. I would probably recommend putting the headphones into some type of clear plastic bag and then putting that into the case.

Good call -- thanks for that. It's back to the basement for the faux-flight case, and off to Superstore for another banana stand.

best,

o

Oct 8, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #3,854 of 3,971

Quote:
Great phones, these. Magic out of the Cary.

I keep finding tiny foam hairs on the earcups when I store them in the case -- has anyone else noticed this? Any chance of this shedding calming down?

o

I keep my T1 in the case, but with the cable leading out so I keep the latch up to prop open the lid a bit. I don't notice any fibers/hairs on mine when I pull them out.
...I just double checked and nothing. Even if I pinch at the black foam and pull, I only get the slightest bit of fiber. Could they have changed the material ??

Oct 8, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #3,855 of 3,971

Quote:
I keep my T1 in the case, but with the cable leading out so I keep the latch up to prop open the lid a bit. I don't notice any fibers/hairs on mine when I pull them out.

I keep mine in a drawer laid with a towel on the bottom. I do this will all of my headphones (keeps them out of my 2 year old's reach). The one thing with all of the headphone cases I own (LCD-2, HD800, T1 and D7000), they are not optimally designed for the damn headphone cable. What up with that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back