Beyerdynamic to launch new top headphone at IFA -- called T1
Apr 30, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #2,866 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by NumLock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crap! I took a vacation from HeadFi and the headphones I was planning next goes up by $300! Damn it
frown.gif

When did this happen?

Lucky for you, you have until TODAY. Price goes up tomorrow!

Apr 30, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #2,867 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The price increase is already in effect at HeadRoom. Plus, the item now shows out of stock, whereas yesterday it showed 2-4 week delivery time.

TTVJ still has the intro price.

Apr 30, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #2,868 of 3,971
Quote:

Bah my vacation ate up all my moooneys!
I hate using credit cards for buying "toys" but I think I am going to have to...

Apr 30, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #2,870 of 3,971
Well, I was looking to maybe get these in the next month or 2 but not at the jacked up price. It sounds like Beyer wants to make the statement "Ours is as big as theirs" to the general audiophile public. Wonder if they always had it in their mind that it would go up the $300 after the initial offering?

May 1, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #2,871 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamba315 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyer jacks their T1 price as the new wave of orthos start to hit the market.

OK, what do thrown-together Chinese orthos have to do with the T1?

May 1, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #2,872 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Schu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I was looking to maybe get these in the next month or 2 but not at the jacked up price. It sounds like Beyer wants to make the statement "Ours is as big as theirs" to the general audiophile public. Wonder if they always had it in their mind that it would go up the $300 after the initial offering?

I certainly would agree that beyer's flagship is : "...as big as theirs".
beyersmile.png

And if I remember correctly, the MSRP was always $1295 from day 1 and they did note an "early bird" special.

May 1, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #2,873 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have managed to get my hands for about 20 minutes on a set of HE-5s and thought they were very cool cans. I would describe them as more "fun" than "balanced" and thought they might give my RS1s a run for the money.

But they were not in the same league as the T1s or HD800s as balanced reference level headphones...still pretty amazingly fun cans.

May 1, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #2,874 of 3,971
Quote:

I have managed to get my hands for about 20 minutes on a set of HE-5s and thought they were very cool cans. I would describe them as more "fun" than "balanced" and thought they might give my RS1s a run for the money.

But they were not in the same league as the T1s or HD800s as balanced reference level headphones...still pretty amazingly fun cans.

Oh they are certainly fun and interesting, and definitely have their merits. But I could never get past their grey coldness and non-musical nature. After I got the T1, they seemed even more irritating.

May 1, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #2,875 of 3,971
Quote:

No, it's not that they don't offer balance...the phone hits most of the notes and many of the beats, but flat misses the point.

It's the dilemma that stems from lack of integration, of both notes and their detached quality from their instruments, then one Musician non-relating to the next in an ensemble. "Cold" as Dave puts it..."Soul-less" says I.

Fun denotes a coloration...the HE-5 lacks color (read: bleached), but the rest of the attributes comes damn close for a $600.00 phone. Spent both time and money trying to get the extra inch from the phone...got close if I was playing hand-grenades. Dammit!!

STILL....It's O.K. for the studio recorded clunkers as they are soul-less wonders for the most part. And they are GREAT for 60's Rock n' Roll!!!

May 1, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #2,876 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it's not that they don't offer balance...the phone hits most of the notes and many of the beats, but flat misses the point.

It's the dilemma that stems from lack of integration, of both notes and their detached quality from their instruments, then one Musician non-relating to the next in an ensemble. "Cold" as Dave puts it..."Soul-less" says I.

Fun denotes a coloration...the HE-5 lacks color (read: bleached), but the rest of the attributes comes damn close for a $600.00 phone. Spent both time and money trying to get the extra inch from the phone...got close if I was playing hand-grenades. Dammit!!

I still liked them and thought they were fun to listen to with rock
tongue.gif
. I can appreciate your comments too and ultimately I did not buy them. And I guess I dodged a bullet according to your comments.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #2,877 of 3,971
Quote:

I still liked them and thought they were fun to listen to with rock
tongue.gif
. I can appreciate your comments too and ultimately I did not buy them. And I guess I dodged a bullet according to your comments.
biggrin.gif

Unless you have ten watts (at least) of HeadRoom (moar powah!) and a re-cable you managed a simmer. Simple mic'd, acoustic venues is where the stumble manifests itself, but the canned processed stuff....is pretty good!

I see your a Led Head (I'm one till I'm dead Fred), they (HE-5) can manage and match Bonzo's stomp, and Jimmy's run-away Freight Train with any phone!!

May 1, 2010 at 11:34 AM Post #2,878 of 3,971
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Audeze LCD-2 are made in the USA and do not appear rushed at all. And according to early reports, they're pretty easy to drive. The HE-5 LE revision is interesting, but ultimately I'm a bit weary due to the history of the model.

May 1, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #2,879 of 3,971
Okay, now it's my time, my buddy NoXter bought one and came along yesterday. I asked him, hey, how do you like them, and he answered, don't know, I'm somewhat ambivalent.

I second that.

I must admit, the build quality, the bass and especially resolution & blackness are absolutely worldclass. That is really shocking, my MS Pro and the 880'600 are really midfi in comparison. I also liked the coherent soundscape and its treble section.
music.gif

Howewer, I have two issues. One is the mids, which are way too cold and bright for my liking, consequently the mature voice of David Sylvian gets a strange teenager-ish coloration (nice for female voices though). The other issue is the sheer musicality and genre bandwidth. Sounds great (really really great) with orchestral Classical, mainstream Pop and Electronica, but doesn't have enough heart for Singer/Songwriter, and not enough beef for "harder" stuff like D&B, Techno or Metal sort. It performs much better than the HD800 or a SR404 in that respect though.
icon_e_confused.gif

I'll try the D7000 in a while, if that thing behaves similar, I'll have to give up "high end" globally and stick to my hifi. Musicality has always beaten ability for me (but a DT531 or KSC75 is a bit too musical...)
tongue.gif

Finally, 2 sacrileges. IMO not too hard to drive (much easier than the 880'600)...
_P1010163.jpg

...and the inner cup seems to be identical with the DT880'2005, except a shocking absence of damping material
_P1010157.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back