Beyerdynamic Tesla Appreciation Society!
Apr 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #17 of 210
Just updated my first post with some excellent video reviews by Allen over at headphonereviewHQ on youtube, go check them out!

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #18 of 210
Quote:
I love my T1, though don't like them with string type classical music.  

Funny I have the T1's with a Lafigaro tube amp and Yulong D18 dac and I listen mostly to classical music. I think the T1's do a fantastic job with classical. I would suggest your front end may not be tuned to your taste. A little tube rolling can do wonders to sweeten the high end. I recently posted in the original T1 thread that I thought it was unfair that they are not listed in the Summit category so I am really pleased to see this thread. I have owned and tried some very highly regarded headphones (including stax) and keep coming back to my T1's as my favorite. They just pull me into the music every time I put them on. 

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #19 of 210
T1 do classical very well IMO. however, the HD 800 are better.

and for me T1/HD 800 are my favorite. with T1 being sort of my reference headphone. it just sounds so right.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #20 of 210
Tesla T1 is really good. I am a bit unhappy with quality control - had to send mine for repair due to buzzing - but they look and sound like they are worth their high price. Super comfortable too. Their sheer speed is better than anything I listened to. Piano and guitar sound amazing because of that, as does pizzicato on strings (I only realized that yesterday listening to some Sibelius).

Regarding tonal balance (which may make highs sound a bit harsh), I wonder if they need to be listened to using 120 Ohm impedance amplifier. From all I've read, they were designed for that and the Beyer's own amplifier contains the resistor. That might tame the sound, as I imagine using a tube amp would do as well.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #21 of 210
As I was saying earlier, I think the Tesla's do really well with a good tube amp, I have not tried the T1 with my amp as it is not powerful enough (Battery powered SET) but the T5P is wonderful with it and tube rolling makes a difference I feel.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #22 of 210
My only experience with Beyer thus far as been the T5p, and I have just blown away with how good it is... It is so incredibly clean, clear, and highly detailed. I find myself preferring them to the LCD-2 about half the time these days, which says a lot IMO. 

Honestly, had I held back for a moment and continued my reading before I purchased these, I would not have gotten them due to some of the negative feedback they've gotten. Things do work out occasionally, because my only concern with the thoughts of others now is how they could possibly be so wrong about these-- they are just fantastic, IMO. 

Anyway, enough gushing. If you're reading this and have/had an interest in the T5p but held off due to some negative comments (*coughTYLLcough*), do yourself a favor and at least give them a listen. If you don't like them, no problem-- we all do have different tastes, after all. But if you like them half as much as I do, you'll be very glad you gave 'em a shot!! 

Some less-than-stellar cellphone pics: 

*Note: no disrespect of any kind meant to Tyll. That guy will forget in a weekend PBR bender more than I'll ever know about headphones. Just a friendly joshin' is all :wink:

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #23 of 210
the t5p certainly look very nice. hows the bass on them? i heard mixed opinions on it.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #24 of 210
Less than it should be quantity-wise, but outstanding qualitatively. Extends impressively deep though.

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #25 of 210
my fav tesla has to be the 1350.....
its got the clarity, the only tesla with thumping bass.
If beyer redesigns the calipers to be more comfy,
i would pick it up again.

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #26 of 210
I have the 1350's and the T5's. I prefer the bass on the T5's. It goes deep but does not overwhelm and has a lot of definition. The 1350's have a little more bass but it feels a bit less defined. However for coffee shop use out of my HM-801 it is a good compromise. I feel I have the best of both worlds in the T5's and 1350's for their respective uses.

The thing that is getting me the most with the T5's though is the soundstage. It is not like any closed back headphone I have heard thus far. Though not as good as the T1's it still throws a good wide soundstage and portrays instrument separation really well, I think that has been the biggest surprise so far.

The thing they both do really well is musical engagement, no fireworks just good honest musicality without need for bells and whistles. I can't believe just three weeks ago I had never owned a pair of Beyerdynamics and now I own two and feel that I have all bases covered, least for my musical tastes.

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #27 of 210
Several months ago I have been looking for a closed back headphone to use at work and when travelling. I approached my friendly supplier of all things audio asking to show me the cream of the crop. They set me up with the WA22 and I've spent a few hours listening to TH-900, ATH-W3000ANV, ATH-W5000, Signature Pro and the T5p. I walked out with the T5p. Nothing that I have heard there on that day could really compare, though  I liked the TH-900 sound too.

However at home when I plugged it into the NFB-5 (which was my home "reference" amp), the sound was nothing like my previous experience: lack of bottom end, plasticky mids and screeching highs. Equalising helped a bit, but still it wasn't a $1000 sound. The first reaction was to take them back to the shop and get something else. Yeah - but what? I didn't really see myself wearing the TH-900 on a plane, or even at my desk for that matter. Other headphones were not really my cup of tea.

Then I tried it with the FiiO E17 expecting it to go from bad to worse, but it turned out quite a pleasant surprise: it sounded actually pretty good. Not as full and smooth as with the WA22, but close enough. I fiddled with it a bit more: oversampling to 96kHz took out a bit of the edge off the highs and the E17 EQ with bass dialed up to +6 started sounding really good. Ooooh yeah! I was very happy with that result as it was my intended combo for travel, but it turned out good enough for office use too. After the burn-in I have lowered the bass eq to +4.

I was lucky enough to get the WA7 at the intro price and have been enjoying it since February. Even though I got it for home use, I wouldn't be myself if I haven't tried all the gear I have with it. The T5p hasn't disappointed - in fact it sounded pretty close to my recollection of the WA22 sound: subtle, effortless, detailed, with quite satisfying tonal balance, precise soundstage and very tight bass. I started thinking about getting another one of these for my office...

Well - that's my story about the Tesla technology. As far as the headphone is concerned, it's a game-over territory. Regarding the rest of the equipment, the game shifts to a different league now. But I'm quite happy where I am ATM.

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #28 of 210
i tot the T5p sounded terrific off an ipad..."P

Apr 19, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #29 of 210
Quote:
Funny I have the T1's with a Lafigaro tube amp and Yulong D18 dac and I listen mostly to classical music. I think the T1's do a fantastic job with classical. I would suggest your front end may not be tuned to your taste. A little tube rolling can do wonders to sweeten the high end. I recently posted in the original T1 thread that I thought it was unfair that they are not listed in the Summit category so I am really pleased to see this thread. I have owned and tried some very highly regarded headphones (including stax) and keep coming back to my T1's as my favorite. They just pull me into the music every time I put them on. 

I just prefer other headphones in my collection for strings.  Other classical I still use it.  

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #30 of 210
I'm a happy owner of the T1 and DT1350.

The T1 is the perfect neutral "conduit" for music to flow through naturally.

My T1 is paired with a Decware CSP2+ tube amp.
Using Amperex Pinched Waist 6922 NOS tubes.

My source is an OPPO BDP 95.

This is an end game Rig for me coz' I'm toe tapping to all genres of music ( including Classical) with this setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back