Beyerdynamic T5p vs Ultrasone Signature Pro?
Oct 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

daniel521

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for the ultimate closed can, I will be using these for home use, portable use, and for gaming. The genres I most listen to are rock and metal, and I listen to a bit of pop. How do the two compare in SQ? For portable  use, I will be using these with a fiio e11 on my iphone, and for home use I will be using these with a desktop and and DAC (I might get a tube amp for the T5p since beyers seem to shine with them). Which one will be better for rock and metal? How do they compare in bass, mids, and treble? As for gaming, which one will have better soundstage for gaming and better bass for fun solo gaming?

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 54
I've had both and I only kept T5p. It really depends on what your needs are. Obviously, they are both great but if I would point out why I chose T5p:

1. They are less amp dependent compared to Sig Pro. T5p is simply easier to drive.
2. They are neutral(reference) headphones. I felt that Sig Pro is way too colored to be spent that much money on. But then it's up to you, if you like Denon lineup such as D7000, you'd probably like Sig Pro more.
3. T5p's strongest genre is in classical music. In my opinion, it is in different league compared to any other headphones that I've tried, HD800, Sig Pro, D7000, LCD2, LCD3, and AKG K550.

Oct 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 54
Quote:
I've had both and I only kept T5p. It really depends on what your needs are. Obviously, they are both great but if I would point out why I chose T5p:

1. They are less amp dependent compared to Sig Pro. T5p is simply easier to drive.
2. They are neutral(reference) headphones. I felt that Sig Pro is way too colored to be spent that much money on. But then it's up to you, if you like Denon lineup such as D7000, you'd probably like Sig Pro more.
3. T5p's strongest genre is in classical music. In my opinion, it is in different league compared to any other headphones that I've tried, HD800, Sig Pro, D7000, LCD2, LCD3, and AKG K550.

Well, I've heard that neutral headphones sound really bad with rock. Do you think the t5p is better for rock than the signature pro considering that?

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 54
Quote:
Well, I've heard that neutral headphones sound really bad with rock. Do you think the t5p is better for rock than the signature pro considering that?

Well it depends on how you listen to music really. Neutral or reference headphones produce exactly what the music is feeding. I just don't like the idea of spending any significant amount of money on headphones that are colored too heavily so that I don't even know what the musician intended. Good example would be any headphones that have classic V shaped coloring whereas emphasizes are too heavily on bass and treble. If you want the flexibility, buy headphones that are neutral and EQ it to your liking. 

Quote:
I would also like to know which one is more forgiving on poor quality recordings.

T5p is very very accurate and you don't really want to use poor quality files. So no, it's unforgiving.

Oct 8, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Well it depends on how you listen to music really. Neutral or reference headphones produce exactly what the music is feeding. I just don't like the idea of spending any significant amount of money on headphones that are colored too heavily so that I don't even know what the musician intended. Good example would be any headphones that have classic V shaped coloring whereas emphasizes are too heavily on bass and treble. If you want the flexibility, buy headphones that are neutral and EQ it to your liking. 

T5p is very very accurate and you don't really want to use poor quality files. So no, it's unforgiving.

How do they both compare in soundstage?

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #12 of 54
I hope I will have a chance to compare these two in one week. If I'm lucky enough, I will be posting here for the impressions.

Right now I have the Signature Pro and it really bothers me. It's great in almost every aspect except for the A) comfort and the B) bass presentation.
For the A): I feel the pressure on my head from the band and the cups are really small so that the tips of my ears are touching and the inside of the cups. It is really annoying and tiring for my ears.
For the B): The bass is good in quality and quantity but after 2-5 minutes of listening I'm starting to have the feeling that the bass is flapping over my ears.

Considering A) and B) I find these HP to be really hard to listen to for more than an hour.

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #13 of 54
Quote:
I hope I will have a chance to compare these too in one week. If I'm lucky enough, I will be posting here for the impressions.

Right now I have the Signature Pro and it really bothers me. It's great in almost every aspect except for the A) comfort and the B) bass presentation.
For the A): I feel the pressure on my head from the band and the cups are really small so that the tips of my ears are touching and the inside of the cups. It is really annoying and tiring for my ears.
For the B): The bass is good in quality and quantity but after 2-5 minutes of listening I'm starting to have the feeling that the bass is flapping over my ears.

Considering A) and B) I find these HP to be really hard to listen to for more than an hour.

Can't wait for your impression :)

Oct 11, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 54
I have both, t5p's are in for repairs currently but here are my impressions:

t5p's:
better soundstage, deeper/wider
slightly bass shy for some music, not as fun sometimes.
excellent for classical
in my opinion, overall higher SQ (if coloration is not a factor considered)
more sensitive to bad recordings.

sig pro:
less expansive soundstage, sounds wide (Forward/backward) but not as deep left/right
drmind's point A) happens to me, it is pretty annoying.
some bass coloration, not nearly as extreme as pro900's, less than ath-m50's, about the same as mtpc if you've heard them.
MUCH more portable, the headphones fold like ath-m50's. can fit in a small bag.

If portability and listening for something always pleasant is the priority, i would go sig pros. if you want really good, accurate headphones, I would go with t5p's. the t5p's sound incredibley real. 

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #15 of 54
If you are going to do some gaming, the Signature Pro's soundstage might affect you (it's definitely not the best). Regarding comfort, as others have mentioned, it's not the best either. The leather feels good and the clamping force is not SUPER hard but it still feels a bit uncomfortable...

I haven't tried the Beyers so, not sure about those.

These days I'm recommending the Mad Dogs from MrSpeakers to every one... BUT, the need a decent amp to be properly driven...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back