beyerdynamic T51p & T51i impressions thread
Jul 20, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #76 of 191
thanks to all guys

because the poor availability on my country i can't find the MOE 2.0
so i've tried the 51p between the MOE 1.0, the HD25II, The Amperiors, and the b&w and i went with the t51p because is the sound signature that i was looking for, and in terms of comfort was the best
Thanks to all again

Jul 21, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #77 of 191
  hehehe thanks for reply but i want on ear, the oppo are over ear(circumaural)
i'm looking something casual and portable, in general the over ear headphones are "Bigger"

another to the list is the bowers & wilkins p5 s2
i think that is the top 3 of best on ear on the market right now:
t51p/t51i
b&w p5 s2
sennheiser momentum on ear 2.0

i think that i'll go with the 51p.

Well, clearly I must buy the PM-3 then! The refurbished white ones are going or $320 plus shipping. So in about 2-3 weeks there will be either a T51i modded with removable cable or a slightly used PM-3 in classified.

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #78 of 191
I bought a pair three weeks ago, I like them so far. Good treble, a fun sound signature and excellent comfort and isolation. All up an excellent choice for the plane, train, bus, or office.

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #79 of 191
Listening to these now .They're nice . Isolation is really good ( almost can't hear a person talking to me ) . The thing I can see going in the future is the cable - gets tangled easily ( exactly the type of a cable I don't like ) . Tried with my DX90 and cowon J3 . The sound is nice but I much prefer the sound of grado sr80 for example . They're really comfortable ( one of the best i've ever tried ) , the built quality is great and they look really nice IMO .

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #80 of 191

Hi Loras,

Thanks for your comments. After reading your post, I pulled out my Grado SR-125's, which I haven't listened to for a long time, and compared them to my T51i's (both driven by a NuForce HDP). My conclusion is the opposite of yours; I think the T51i surpasses the SR-125 in every regard. Both are about equally efficient, but the T51i is much smoother, more refined and natural, all up and down the spectrum.

How much break-in have you done with the T51's? In my experience they didn't need much, but all headphones do need some break-in before they really develop their sound.

I appreciate your comment about the cables, but the T51i is clearly designed to be portable, whereas the Grados aren't, so can have a much heavier cable.

Aug 31, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #81 of 191
I have the SR80i compared to T51P, I found the Grado very thin regardless of the pad I use. T51P to me is much better and well balanced. SR80i has a highly colored highs and thin bass. to a point that cymbals sound like hitting a thin can instead of the real thing. The T51p brings out the detail in the music without the harshness and  has the better bass/low details overall. 

Most of the time I pick up the T51p over the RS2e. If I just want to listen to a more vivid(beautifully colored) sound then I listen to RS2e.

I came to prefer T51p over expensive in-ears like JH16 or Roxanne as well. T51 does a lot of things right. My only gripe is the cable. It twist and tangles like help and easily get caught by anything. I wish they make a detachable cable and improve the headband. 

So far this is the best on-ear I tried in terms of comfort and isolation.

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #82 of 191
Hello guys, this thread has been very informative, but a big question has not been answered yet: How does the sound of the t51 compare to the DT 1350? Both have virtually identical exterior appearance and are from the same brand, and near the same price.

I have owned a DT 1350 for 3 years, and compared to all the other on-ears I've tried I like it the best; although the flaws: slightly congested, mid-centric sound with a bit more detail to be desired. But the goods are that the sound is moderately balanced and punchy, with a non-fatiguing sound. I have also gotten a Thinksound ON1 and while I find it better than the DT 1350 in terms of better clarity and bass presence, I still think it sounds a little too much like the Momentum on-ears with boomy / excessive bass and energetic treble.

Any comparison between the t51 and DT-1350, Thinksound ON1 or Aiaiai TMA-1 (or 2) would be very helpful, thanks!

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #83 of 191
  Hello guys, this thread has been very informative, but a big question has not been answered yet: How does the sound of the t51 compare to the DT 1350? Both have virtually identical exterior appearance and are from the same brand, and near the same price.

I have owned a DT 1350 for 3 years, and compared to all the other on-ears I've tried I like it the best; although the flaws: slightly congested, mid-centric sound with a bit more detail to be desired. But the goods are that the sound is moderately balanced and punchy, with a non-fatiguing sound. I have also gotten a Thinksound ON1 and while I find it better than the DT 1350 in terms of better clarity and bass presence, I still think it sounds a little too much like the Momentum on-ears with boomy / excessive bass and energetic treble.

Any comparison between the t51 and DT-1350, Thinksound ON1 or Aiaiai TMA-1 (or 2) would be very helpful, thanks!

I haven't heard the DT1350 for a while but have owned the T51 for a long time now and I prefer the T51 for portable use (due to my preference for warmer signatures). The overall signature is a bit more melo with more emphasis on the mid-bass and less treble with a bit more shimmer than the DT1350. The mids are relatively similar but a bit more emphasis on the lower mids and especially quite a strong boost in the upper regions of bass. Sound stage is quite narrow on the T51 and if anything slightly narrower than the DT1350. It really depends on your taste, if you prefer a warmer sound on a more balanced sound but I would not consider the T51 to be an upgrade on the DT1350 if you do not like a boosted mid and upper regions in the bass. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #84 of 191
Mr. Noob, thanks very much for your insight. Excellent! You just saved me about $300! I'm a total non-basshead and if you say it has boosted mid-bass I know that will drive me insane. You just 'killed it' for me - sometimes the grim reaper is your friend LOL 
etysmile.gif

I'm basically looking for an on-ear that has more clarity (including treble) than the DT 1350 and slightly less mid-centric. Also here is my take on a few other on-ears:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/506129/aiaiai-tma-1/1230#post_11903954

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #85 of 191
  Mr. Noob, thanks very much for your insight. Excellent! You just saved me about $300! I'm a total non-basshead and if you say it has boosted mid-bass I know that will drive me insane. You just 'killed it' for me - sometimes the grim reaper is your friend LOL 
etysmile.gif

I'm basically looking for an on-ear that has more clarity (including treble) than the DT 1350 and slightly less mid-centric. Also here is my take on a few other on-ears:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/506129/aiaiai-tma-1/1230#post_11903954I 

True the mid-bass is a little boosted and quite thick. But maybe I gave the impression that the T51 is bassy, sorry about that but it's really quite balanced and fun, just a warmer sound than the DT1350 (so personally I do not think it's worth changing the DT1350 for T51). It's one of my favourite headphones for portable use main due to its comfort, noise isolation and relatively good sound. 
happy_face1.gif

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #88 of 191

I'm basically looking for an on-ear that has more clarity (including treble) than the DT 1350 and slightly less mid-centric. 

Your search for an on-ear with a bit more treble than the 1350 (without getting harsh) and a bit more bass (but without more than you prefer) may be futile. As a dealer, I have heard many contenders, and based on your stated preferences, I would have steered you to the T51. However, coming from the 1350, the change is probably not large enough to warrant changing.  But if you want to borrow a pair to hear for yourself, give me a call.

The trend for on-ears seems to be the U-shaped sound with big bass and treble. For $200, I think the Thinksound On1 is a very solid contender, but it does have more bass than some folks prefer. The Master & Dynamic MH30 at $329 has the extra treble clarity you seek, but its bass is just as prominent. All the Sennheiser on-ear models are built around big bass. I must say, though, that the trend makes some sense to me. On-ear models are intended for portable use, and when you are out and about, the extra bass and treble are warranted due to the competition from outside noises.  A more linear "audiophile" sound signature really only works indoors or in quieter environments. (And if anyone is skeptical about this, just try playing some music on your favorite flat-signature headphones indoors and keep it playing as you walk outside. Perhaps less of an issue in quiet rural areas, granted.)

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #89 of 191
Well I have had the T51P's for about a month now and I must say I'm quite surprised by the lack of enthusiasm for them here. 

For the last couple of days I have been listening to Dream Theater and Opeth on these and OMG do these things shine. The big sound they put out is just nothing short of spectacular given the driver size. Good looks, supreme comfort and a sound that defies logic.

Anybody on the fence about these do yourself a favor and have a listen.

For current owners have a listen to these;

Not bad eh!!

Jan 5, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #90 of 191
Hi folks! I'm looking for good portable headphones for my Cowon C2, suitable for different styles of music (from smooth-jazz to rock and metal).
Unfortunately I cannot listen before buying... but mavbe you can guide me.

Tried some Sennheisers (HD595, PX-100) - too muddy and veiled, no fun or exitement. Liked iGrados - very lively, but open cans and sound leakage is no-brainer for street use. Grado SR225i were too biting and harsh, btw.

I'm looking for something in between - lively sound, but not too piercing, and not dull. I'm not basshead at all, so boomy sound is not for me also.

What do you think, is t51p is suitable headphones for me?
Another set that I'm looking to is Audio Technica ES700...which one to choose?

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back