beyerdynamic T51p & T51i impressions thread
Feb 26, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #16 of 191
I'm going to buy these. I've been banging my head over headphones and iems but I already have ma750s which are already good so it would be a waste of money. I have m50s but I listen to my ma750s at home now since I don't like the m50s anymore.. 2 years later.

So the t51i will be a nice upgrade and my new daily drivers and my ma750s will be my secondary.

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #17 of 191
I just got a pair of T51i's and am very pleased with them. They replace my previous commute cans, a pair of Sony MDR-V6's. I run them through a MacBook and an AudioEngine D1 DAC, and the Beyer's sound great, even before they've burned in for any length of time. They are also very comfortable, and provide more sound isolation than I expected (I commute by train).

Thanks to all the great comments and reviews, I had high expectations for this purchase, and have definitely not been disappointed. These are fantastic!

UPDATE: A few more comments. First, unlike other headphones I've owned, these headphones did not need much if any break-in time. After about the first hour or two, the sound seemed fully developed.

Second, these headphones sound GREAT just through my iPhone 6 Plus. Ken Rockwell discusses the improved audio in his review of the 6 Plus, and he is correct. It rivals an external DAC as far as sound quality, at least with these headphones.

I'm still very happy with these headphones--so happy that if they were to be lost or broken, I would immediately go out and buy another pair.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #18 of 191
I purchased the T51i a week ago, and I absolutely love them, but not so much with my Fiio X3 being that they're both on the warm side. I would like to know which portable dap's compliments the T51i's sound signature the most? Apologies if it has been discussed before.

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #19 of 191
So little love for these wonderful cans!

Just 2 pages of comments? I think there is a mathematical equation of how many posts get placed in relation to the gear:

# of posts = (a^2 x p^q x c)/n

a = the number of vowels in the brand name
p = msrp
q = lead time to get back in stock
c = number of variations of input impedance options
n = configuration factor - 0.001 for over ear, 0.010 for IEM, and 1.0 for on ear

I was very surprised at how small these are and how little space the case takes up. Just got these today so going through a lot of genres of music but amazed at how great these sound for $250. I will be giving these a road test next week on 20+ hours of flight time.

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #21 of 191
  I was very surprised at how small these are and how little space the case takes up. Just got these today so going through a lot of genres of music but amazed at how great these sound for $250. I will be giving these a road test next week on 20+ hours of flight time.

Yes please, I am very curious about how they behave in noisy environments and your experience can be of much help! I considered buying these some time ago but then didn't take the plunge. Now I am reconsidering... 
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #25 of 191
  I purchased the T51i a week ago, and I absolutely love them, but not so much with my Fiio X3 being that they're both on the warm side. I would like to know which portable dap's compliments the T51i's sound signature the most? Apologies if it has been discussed before.

So I did a little search, and it appears that the hidizs ap100 pairs well with the T51i, If anyone is interested.

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #28 of 191
  So it's my understanding that a good match for the T51p/i would be a bright or "analytical" DAP, given that the their sound signature is on the warm side. Is that correct?

I do not find T51i warm at all. There is good bass extension plus a little "boom"  compared to the typical Beyer analytical sound sig, but mids on up are pretty neutral with highs that are pretty bright to my ears. But at this price range, I would look to simple EQ settings to dial up the sound you like. These are not critical listening cans that you want to spend weeks and lots of dollars trying to pair up with different amps and DACs. These are meant for fun listening with no obsessing about pairing and just plug it into anything that accepts 3.5mm jack. That is strictly my opinion having gone through and still going through optimizing my high end setups.

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #29 of 191

I do not find T51i warm at all. There is good bass extension plus a little "boom"  compared to the typical Beyer analytical sound sig, but mids on up are pretty neutral with highs that are pretty bright to my ears. But at this price range, I would look to simple EQ settings to dial up the sound you like. These are not critical listening cans that you want to spend weeks and lots of dollars trying to pair up with different amps and DACs. These are meant for fun listening with no obsessing about pairing and just plug it into anything that accepts 3.5mm jack. That is strictly my opinion having gone through and still going through optimizing my high end setups.

I like your way of thinking, I'm really not the kind of person that tries different DACs in order to find the perfect combination with the IEM in use: suffice to say that at the moment my only source for my listening is a simple clip+, apart from my PC. I was just trying to have a better grasp on how the T51 would colour the sound and, as you say, where in the FR it could be helpful to make some changes through EQing. So, as for their sound signature: kind of V-shaped, fun sounding and for enjoyment rather than critical listening. Mmmhmm.....

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:41 AM Post #30 of 191

I like your way of thinking, I'm really not the kind of person that tries different DACs in order to find the perfect combination with the IEM in use: suffice to say that at the moment my only source for my listening is a simple clip+, apart from my PC. I was just trying to have a better grasp on how the T51 would colour the sound and, as you say, where in the FR it could be helpful to make some changes through EQing. So, as for their sound signature: kind of V-shaped, fun sounding and for enjoyment rather than critical listening. Mmmhmm.....

Cool,

I would say it's more "V" to the left and "U" to the right. If you are considering an AK DAP, the newer ones have a preset on the EQ for the custom T5P AK version. I tried that on the T51i and really surprised how well that tamed the highs and warmed up the sound. Lots of used AK DAPs in classified.

As for sound isolation that someone was asking earlier. I just did a 5 hour flight and it does a good job of sound isolation on most music genres that are moderate volume. I also did not have to take these off to hear the flight attendant and successfully ordered a drink. Can definitely hear myself talk too. The sound does not bleed out either according to the person sitting next too me. My IEMs isolate better but I have to take at least one earpiece off to have a conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back