Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Feb 16, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #1,291 of 1,824
Beyerdynamic have patented a manufacturing process for a type of formerless voice coil. It eliminates manual manufacturing steps which reduces cost and improves quality. It also mentions that weight can be optimised.

patents.google.com/patent/DE102016114

There's also a patent for an acoustic absorber disc:

https://patents.google.com/patent/DE102018126823A1

It seems hopeful that the T1.3 will have a new driver design; some of the photos seem to show a different material over the driver and baffle. As I mentioned in an earlier post, if beyerdynamic are using a formerless voice coil, it could be possible to simultaneously reduce impedance and moving mass (as Focal have done).
I think the patent y’all are referring to was mentioned way earlier in this thread. There’s definitely one regarding the absorber disc material (linked above) but I wasn’t able to find anything else about a different kind of voice coil.

Feb 16, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #1,292 of 1,824
I think the patent y’all are referring to was mentioned way earlier in this thread. There’s definitely one regarding the absorber disc material (linked above) but I wasn’t able to find anything else about a different kind of voice coil.
This German blog entry talks about changes in the new drivers in the DT Pro X series:
https://www.beyerdynamic.de/blog/der-neue-beyerdynamic-treiber-unserer-pro-x-kopfhoerer/

They mention changes and an especially light voice coil there, so maybe this patent came to fruition there first.

Feb 16, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #1,293 of 1,824
As far as I know the decision for this change in signature was due to a shift in focus from classic audiophiles to consumer connoisseurs and is based on feedback from this new target group on the old models. Feedback on the new models seems to be very good as I heard, again from the target group. I think this shift from audiophile to lifestyle environment was never clearly documented.

Patents on a FR… I don’t think this is even possible? If they had to change the T1 FR due to a dispute — why after 5 years and without any hint to that effect? But maybe I misunderstood the comment by @kman1211
Amusing explanation of what happened to T1.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...review-v2-headphone.20192/page-14#post-992398

Feb 16, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #1,294 of 1,824
Hey guys, pulled the trigger on these few weeks ago after listening to them at a friends house, i really liked them. After receiving them, i instantly noticed that the earpads are different than the pair my friend owns. The earpads on mine are a bit thinner and have softer and slower rebounding memory foam in them, much more comfortable and doesn't get as hot as the old ones. So i took them with me when i visited my friends place again and compared them to make sure, and they are indeed different. The amount of holes in the back of the pads are still the same. Sound wise, the difference is pretty significant. The bass with the new pads is much less "boomy". Don't get me wrong, it's still strong, but more controlled and not as overwhelming. The mids seem more balanced, the elevation in the lower mids is definitely toned down a bit, and the upper mids come a bit forward now. All in all, a very nice experience, they sound livelier but still remain the relaxing signature with the new pads. I don't know if they did anything in terms of driver tuning, we did not change the pads around unfortunately to test. Before these, i owned a DT 1990, which i liked a lot at first, but after a couple of months, i noticed the fatigue and mild tinnitus at times. Prior to the 1990, i had a TYGR 300R and an Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon. To no surprise, technicality wise (also tuning imo) the T1.3 blows them all out of the water. Beyer also changed up the cable a bit. It's softer and doesn't kink up like the old one. I did not notice the new cable at first, but the key difference is that the 3.5mm jack has "beyerdynamic" printed on the housing now. For reference, the SN of my T1.3 is 105XXX and my friends is 101XXX.

Feb 16, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #1,295 of 1,824
Hey guys, pulled the trigger on these few weeks ago after listening to them at a friends house, i really liked them. After receiving them, i instantly noticed that the earpads are different than the pair my friend owns. The earpads on mine are a bit thinner and have softer and slower rebounding memory foam in them, much more comfortable and doesn't get as hot as the old ones. So i took them with me when i visited my friends place again and compared them to make sure, and they are indeed different. The amount of holes in the back of the pads are still the same. Sound wise, the difference is pretty significant. The bass with the new pads is much less "boomy". Don't get me wrong, it's still strong, but more controlled and not as overwhelming. The mids seem more balanced, the elevation in the lower mids is definitely toned down a bit, and the upper mids come a bit forward now. All in all, a very nice experience, they sound livelier but still remain the relaxing signature with the new pads. I don't know if they did anything in terms of driver tuning, we did not change the pads around unfortunately to test. Before these, i owned a DT 1990, which i liked a lot at first, but after a couple of months, i noticed the fatigue and mild tinnitus at times. Prior to the 1990, i had a TYGR 300R and an Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon. To no surprise, technicality wise (also tuning imo) the T1.3 blows them all out of the water. Beyer also changed up the cable a bit. It's softer and doesn't kink up like the old one. I did not notice the new cable at first, but the key difference is that the 3.5mm jack has "beyerdynamic" printed on the housing now. For reference, the SN of my T1.3 is 105XXX and my friends is 101XXX
Interesting. I bought mine last week. Mine's is SN:101XXX. It has thick pads like your friend's. I'm curious, can you compare the pads of your t1.3rd with both A-pad and B-pads of the dt1990?

Feb 16, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #1,296 of 1,824
Interesting. I bought mine last week. Mine's is SN:101XXX. It has thick pads like your friend's. I'm curious, can you compare the pads of your t1.3rd with both A-pad and B-pads of the dt1990?
Already sold the 1990, but these new pads seem similar to the A-Pads, a tad thicker (not 100% on this) than the A-Pads and also more holes on the back. Maybe replacement earpads for the T1.3 directly from Beyer are now these ones too, should probably ask first. Then again, i don't know how open they are about admitting silent revisions.

Feb 16, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #1,297 of 1,824
Hey guys, pulled the trigger on these few weeks ago after listening to them at a friends house, i really liked them. After receiving them, i instantly noticed that the earpads are different than the pair my friend owns. The earpads on mine are a bit thinner and have softer and slower rebounding memory foam in them, much more comfortable and doesn't get as hot as the old ones. So i took them with me when i visited my friends place again and compared them to make sure, and they are indeed different. The amount of holes in the back of the pads are still the same. Sound wise, the difference is pretty significant. The bass with the new pads is much less "boomy". Don't get me wrong, it's still strong, but more controlled and not as overwhelming. The mids seem more balanced, the elevation in the lower mids is definitely toned down a bit, and the upper mids come a bit forward now. All in all, a very nice experience, they sound livelier but still remain the relaxing signature with the new pads. I don't know if they did anything in terms of driver tuning, we did not change the pads around unfortunately to test. Before these, i owned a DT 1990, which i liked a lot at first, but after a couple of months, i noticed the fatigue and mild tinnitus at times. Prior to the 1990, i had a TYGR 300R and an Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon. To no surprise, technicality wise (also tuning imo) the T1.3 blows them all out of the water. Beyer also changed up the cable a bit. It's softer and doesn't kink up like the old one. I did not notice the new cable at first, but the key difference is that the 3.5mm jack has "beyerdynamic" printed on the housing now. For reference, the SN of my T1.3 is 105XXX and my friends is 101XXX.

That's interesting but wouldn't be surprised they may of changed the pads. It happened to the DT 1990 so not surprised it happened with the T1.3. I have a very early T1.3 with a serial number of 100004 and it also has a very strong clamp (which eased some after a lot of use), I tried a newer one in the 101XXX range and the clamp was much reduced and more in line with the T1.2 I had. Wonder what serial number the pad change happened on.

Feb 17, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #1,298 of 1,824
That's interesting but wouldn't be surprised they may of changed the pads. It happened to the DT 1990 so not surprised it happened with the T1.3. I have a very early T1.3 with a serial number of 100004 and it also has a very strong clamp (which eased some after a lot of use), I tried a newer one in the 101XXX range and the clamp was much reduced and more in line with the T1.2 I had. Wonder what serial number the pad change happened on.
I have 102XXX and the clamp was pretty significant and the pads were a tad bit hard at the beginning. I gently bent the headband to loosen the clamp, then again, I am rather sensitive to clamp because the earpads sit on the arms of my glasses.

Feb 17, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #1,299 of 1,824
Thanks for relating your experience. Do you notice the inner hole of the pads (zone to accommodate your ears) bigger in your pads comparing to your friend's pads? If you could measure it or compare to Beyer 1990 or Amiron Home pads would be perfect.

My issue is the 1990 Pro or Amiron Home fit very good my ears but the T 1.3 pinched my ear lobes and were very uncomfort for me.

Feb 17, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #1,302 of 1,824
Just had worn out pads replaced on T1 v1 with "good" S/N 5XXX.
Wow, huge difference, better details, tamed down treble, harder bass and increased soundstage. Did not expect this to be honest.
Why Beyer ruined tunning on those in the following iterations? :disappointed:

Feb 17, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #1,303 of 1,824
Just had worn out pads replaced on T1 v1 with "good" S/N 5XXX.
Wow, huge difference, better details, tamed down treble, harder bass and increased soundstage. Did not expect this to be honest.
Why Beyer ruined tunning on those in the following iterations? :disappointed:
Pads make a huge difference. You can make the newer T1’s sound quite different with different pads, I’m tempted to get a few different pads and experiment with the T1.3 more. Tuning is very preference based. But in terms of technical ability and resolution the T1.3 is the best of the three generations imho.

Feb 17, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #1,304 of 1,824
My spare parts from T5p.2 arrived today.
They are perfect fit for T1.3. If anybody is interested in trying this cans without dampening foam i highly recommend this solution. Drivers are safely held in place. Nothing is rattling or loosy, cost not even 1euro and it is OEM.. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

In terms of sound; I did not own any previous generation of T1 so I cannot compare them.
Lately I was using this HP as Beyer intended: original pads and foams, it will be a different ride i guess.

20211001_210941.jpg
those fixing rings look very intreaging and i'll bet they fit the new 700/900 ProX so you can use the older style pads. can i ask where you got them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back