Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Sep 2, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #1,126 of 1,833
The two most immediate things I noticed with these cans were - the heightened bass response & how easy these were to drive from a volume perspective. What I would normally go full volume on regular gain on my DT880s or halfway to three o'clock on high gain, I can achieve with my T1s all on regular gain, and nothing, not even shoddily mastered or live recordings (particularly bootlegs) pushing it to regular gain at its highest extent, let alone high gain.

Coming from my neutral-bright DT880s, the T1 particularly caught me off guard at first, but a re-listen of my favourite album of all time, John Fahey's Fare Forward Voyagers (Soldier's Choice) (1973), made it all clear - both figuratively and literally. It's that heightened lower-end, providing Fahey's bass notes with an almost drone-y feeling, hypnotising me for its forty minutes. I don't find the mids recessed - they expose weaker vocalists and/or music mixed with lesser emphasis on the vocalist, and allow the instruments to take over instead, or place on pedestals vocalists that wish to highlight their unique vocals. One quick listen of tracks from Joanna Newsom's The Milk-Eyed Mender (2004) is a perfect example of this - I've never heard her vocals being as intimate and defeated on Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie (2004), or as authoritative on Peach, Plum, Pear (2004). The treble isn't as sparkly as my DT880s (although not much really is), and honestly, it's a nice change of pace. If the treble response on the DT880 are a hailstorm - constant, attacking and hard, the T1's treble feels more like a cloud - you could stay in it forever.

And in terms of literally every other aspect of sound - detail, soundstage, instrument separation - the T1 is far and away the better headphone in that regard. This is my first high-end headphone, and it may not be my last, let-alone an end-game one, but I'll cherish this one. I'm interested to see how the DT880 performs once my Sansui AU-101s come - and my T1's compatibility on that integrated amplifier.

(P.S. The DT880s feel more comfortable for now, but they've had three weeks of wearing in compared to my T1s just arriving yesterday. I'm sure that over multiple weeks and even months, the comfort of these cans will be fully-realised, and maybe might brighten up a little? Although I love them as is.)
They are very dependant on positioning, try moving them back on your ears and they become brighter :wink:

Sep 2, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #1,128 of 1,833
Let me try that now :)
Tried it with numerous songs from different genres, and there is a noticeable emphasis on the high-end, but there's something about how "full" the cans sound placed more traditionally on your head. It is something that I can use though, if the bass gets a bit much at times (which it really doesn't)

Sep 2, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #1,129 of 1,833
Tried it with numerous songs from different genres, and there is a noticeable emphasis on the high-end, but there's something about how "full" the cans sound placed more traditionally on your head. It is something that I can use though, if the bass gets a bit much at times (which it really doesn't)
They are different for sure in how they present music. For instance I notice on my Hekv2 I can hear the texture of stringed instruments alot more clearly. The Hek divides the soundscape Into individual parts and wows you with it's technicallities, while the T1 doesn't emphasis like that instead they present music as a whole and impress with their own talents. They are both excellent at what they do they are just different imo. The T1 still great technically, it just doesn't shove the detail at you like my hd800 or Hek

Sep 3, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #1,130 of 1,833
This is what makes me love this cans. At first you have a mixed feeling but after a while you realize that they tuning make music much more overwhelming in a good way. The best way to get this feeling is adjust to the sound signature, focus on details which are not that 'in face' as many other "high end" headphones and then when you focus yourself on details everything else becomes powerful background that drown you in the song. After a while other cans sounds a bit thin and lifeless. For my personal taste i went for 1990 A pads which expose highes and tone down a bit this mid bass (getting myself in to this stuff so i hope i get this right lol) and i feels like it is my end game but as always it is probably end game for a while. :)

Sep 3, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #1,131 of 1,833
This is what makes me love this cans. At first you have a mixed feeling but after a while you realize that they tuning make music much more overwhelming in a good way. The best way to get this feeling is adjust to the sound signature, focus on details which are not that 'in face' as many other "high end" headphones and then when you focus yourself on details everything else becomes powerful background that drown you in the song. After a while other cans sounds a bit thin and lifeless. For my personal taste i went for 1990 A pads which expose highes and tone down a bit this mid bass (getting myself in to this stuff so i hope i get this right lol) and i feels like it is my end game but as always it is probably end game for a while. :)
Do the 1990 analytical pads fit on here? I may have to look into that.

Sep 3, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #1,132 of 1,833
Do the 1990 analytical pads fit on here? I may have to look into that.
Differences are inside of the pad, outside they are similar. Fits, looks, comfort is same as original pads. I really recommend at least trying. Just make sure to get analytic pads, they have 4 holes in backside (DT1990 comes with two different pairs of pads OEM).

Sep 3, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #1,133 of 1,833
Differences are inside of the pad, outside they are similar. Fits, looks, comfort is same as original pads. I really recommend at least trying. Just make sure to get analytic pads, they have 4 holes in backside (DT1990 comes with two different pairs of pads OEM).
yep I see them on the Australian Beyerdynamic website, this might be the move when my Sansui AU-101s come (assuming my T1s even pair well with them)

Sep 5, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #1,134 of 1,833
Honestly what has always struck me most about the T1 Gen 3 is how dynamic powerful and tactile the headphone is. Only other dynamics I've owned that can be this dynamically powerful and full has to be the old Beyer DT 48/480 but those struggle with bass presence and are not near as efficient.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #1,135 of 1,833
This headphone has been both a blessing and a curse. The detail retrieval on these are so good (in comparison to my DT880s at least) that I'm picking up on poorly mastered tracks a lot more now. I can understand bootlegs - but studio recordings with current audio reproduction technology just need to be better

Sep 7, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #1,136 of 1,833
UPDATE: bought them :) the more time I spend on this website, the smaller my savings become. Wonder why :thinking:

Sep 7, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #1,137 of 1,833
UPDATE: bought them :) the more time I spend on this website, the smaller my savings become. Wonder why :thinking:
In case nobody issued the requisite welcome to you:
Welcome to head-fi. And sorry for your wallet.

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #1,138 of 1,833
I hope you will like it! I'm curious about other opinion on this as i just never find anything about it until i tried by myself. Just don't tear packaging instantly, you can always do return. :smile_cat:
Welcome to head-fi. And sorry for your wallet.
For some time I was trying to manage my hobby reasonable, but then somehow i get myself from DT990 to T1 in less then a year, had other Beyers in the meantime and stuck with 6 pairs of different pads and cables for this.. so yea heh.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #1,139 of 1,833
This headphone has been both a blessing and a curse. The detail retrieval on these are so good (in comparison to my DT880s at least) that I'm picking up on poorly mastered tracks a lot more now. I can understand bootlegs - but studio recordings with current audio reproduction technology just need to be better
I have had the T1.2 for about 4 yrs. Always thought they where good until I got a Burson Ha160. Cannot believe how good these sound. I would bet the T1.3 would sound really good also. I listen to a lot more music since getting the Burson............ Be safe.

Sep 8, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #1,140 of 1,833
My Sansui AU-101s just arrived and it has certainly been an interesting experience with my T1s.

1. Even with my DT880s (600Ω) getting more power than anything the O2 can give it, it's clear to me at this point that the T1 in all aspects is simply the better headphone (except for sound signature, because that's the most subjective part of audio, really)

2. Everything sounds clearer on the Sansui AU-101s, even with the warmer sound signature (which I've attempted to negate by adjusting the bass and treble knobs on the Sansui AU-101, seems to brighten them up a little bit). It's been a double-edged sword, as my initial complaint of poorly-mastered recordings being exposed by my T1s become an even bigger problem, but nicely recorded and mastered recordings (or on the contrary, intentionally noisy and rough recordings) sound even nicer on these cans. Elton John's Bennie and the Jets (1973) has never sounded more lively on any sound system that I've played it on. The melodies on the guitars in Coldplay's Yellow (2000) bleed with emotion outside the noise wall riff the band engages with in the chorus. LOONA's ODD EYE CIRCLE - Girl Front's (2017) bassline however, gets distorted at too low of a volume, despite the girls' vocals sounding incredible, and this seems to be a common theme across more modern recordings.

This could be the output impedance of the AU-101 being much too high for my T1s, but kman runs these through an amplifier with high output impedance with great results, so I suspect it's both the Sansui's warmer sound signature combining with the T1s, as well as more poorly mastered recordings, that end up distorting the lower end.

3. There is a slight improvement in instrument separation, a broader (but not compromised in intimate moments!) soundstage and detail with my AU-101s over my O2s. The O2s may be the better reference amplifier, but these added benefits to my T1s are hard to pass up.

These initial impressions may change within the next week or so. My analytical pads are coming in on Friday, and my NAD M51 DAC sometime next week. The arrival of these two pieces of gear may solve my current issues with the setup, or at least make it better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back