Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Aug 27, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #1,111 of 1,833
Do these scale well with more powerful headphone amps and / or vintage receivers & speaker amps? I've considered upgrading to these in the near future from my DT880s and I have a Sansui AU-101 receiver on the way which is more powerful than most, if not all headphone amps on the market today, but the low impedance of these headphones make me think that this would not be a good pairing for the Sansui amp. The warmer sound that everyone seems to be reporting as well as the detail & soundstage the T1s possess make me really want them now :sweat_smile: They look beautiful too...

(my DAC is the ODAC both for now and in the near future, but I do plan on upgrading to the RME ADI-2 DAC either early next-year or even very late into this year)
They seem to scale quite a bit from my cell phone to either of my amps, Auralic Taurus Mkii or surprising to me my Airist Audio Heron 5. The Airist has a low impedance input and seems to add alot of headroom.

Aug 28, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #1,112 of 1,833
They seem to scale quite a bit from my cell phone to either of my amps, Auralic Taurus Mkii or surprising to me my Airist Audio Heron 5. The Airist has a low impedance input and seems to add alot of headroom.
I just searched up the specs of the Taurus, they seem to be incredibly powerful & if you claim these cans scale well with the Taurus, I'm more at ease but I can't get numbers for the headphone output impedance on the Sansui AU-101s that are coming my way soon, so I'm scared to upgrade to these

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #1,113 of 1,833
Ah wasn't able to find it of the UDA-1 itself when I last checked, but sounds about right on the output impedance and power rating on lower impedance headphones. Does some strange things to headphones, sometimes very pleasant depending on the headphone. I keep the amp around because it sounds unique. Just finding the T1.3 pairs better with it than expected, vocal intelligibility and imaging is exceptional on the T1.3 with it for instance.
This gives me faith in plugging one of these into my incoming Sansui AU-101s, but I can't find (or can't understand how to read schematics & the service manual) the headphone output impedance on this vintage amp...

Aug 28, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #1,114 of 1,833
I'm starting to think like you kman the more time I spend with these the weirder my other cans sound to me. I may have found my perfect can. I just ordered a shanling M6 21 to go along with it to unplug me from my embilical cord of my main system. These just sound great with everything and really sound like real life. Maybe not neautral as defined by the headfi world, but I'd call them.. natural, powerful. Stunning.

Aug 29, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #1,116 of 1,833
I'm starting to think like you kman the more time I spend with these the weirder my other cans sound to me. I may have found my perfect can. I just ordered a shanling M6 21 to go along with it to unplug me from my embilical cord of my main system. These just sound great with everything and really sound like real life. Maybe not neautral as defined by the headfi world, but I'd call them.. natural, powerful. Stunning.
I see it is natural for everyone, the more time you spend with this HP, more you appreciate them. I think they will scale well with good amp. I'm using mine with Schiit stack/Qudelix 5k and easly can spot that with 5k they sound a little bit warmer and a bit less powerfull (waiting for balanced cable still so comparison to 3,5mm). Nonetheless , as you said - stunning pair of headphones with stunning soundstage, also i will repeat every single time, try them with different - analytic pads.

Aug 29, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #1,117 of 1,833
I am pleased to hear that the T1.3 is getting some love. This headphone is hopefully going to get a growing fan-group over time. It is a headphone that grows on you the more you listen to it. Those who only give it a 10 minute listen in a store will probably never experience what pleasure they really offer.

Aug 29, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #1,118 of 1,833
Do these scale well with more powerful headphone amps and / or vintage receivers & speaker amps? I've considered upgrading to these in the near future from my DT880s and I have a Sansui AU-101 receiver on the way which is more powerful than most, if not all headphone amps on the market today, but the low impedance of these headphones make me think that this would not be a good pairing for the Sansui amp. The warmer sound that everyone seems to be reporting as well as the detail & soundstage the T1s possess make me really want them now :sweat_smile: They look beautiful too...

(my DAC is the ODAC both for now and in the near future, but I do plan on upgrading to the RME ADI-2 DAC either early next-year or even very late into this year)
In my experience they scale wonderful with powerful amps in dynamics, detail and soundstage, but some amps can be noisy for the high sensibility of the T1.3. My Burson Conductor 3XR have this high noise problem, but the Soloist3X is much better (in mid gain). The Topping A90 is perfectly silent, even in high gain.

Aug 29, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #1,119 of 1,833
In my experience they scale wonderful with powerful amps in dynamics, detail and soundstage, but some amps can be noisy for the high sensibility of the T1.3. My Burson Conductor 3XR have this high noise problem, but the Soloist3X is much better (in mid gain). The Topping A90 is perfectly silent, even in high gain.
I think the only thing to do now is to just wait for my Sansui AU-101 to arrive and my T1.3 to arrive and we'll see

I have my Objective2/ODAC that I can hold onto for a while so I'm chilling regardless. Can't wait to hear them

Aug 29, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #1,120 of 1,833
I went back to my Hekv2 and I fairly quickly started to miss the T1.3. I'm glad I still have the Hek V2 for the perfect song with the perfect day, it is something, but the T1.3 may end up as my true endgame. Also ear placement is essential on these cans imo. Also love my HD800 but only for certain songs and occasions. Now, to sell my Nighthawk or hang on to them.. still like those to. They have very capable 1.2 Tesla drivers like the t1

Aug 29, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #1,121 of 1,833
I went back to my Hekv2 and I fairly quickly started to miss the T1.3. I'm glad I still have the Hek V2 for the perfect song with the perfect day, it is something, but the T1.3 may end up as my true endgame. Also ear placement is essential on these cans imo. Also love my HD800 but only for certain songs and occasions. Now, to sell my Nighthawk or hang on to them.. still like those to. They have very capable 1.2 Tesla drivers like the t1
Glad to hear you're liking the T1.3 so much. I personally let go of a lot of headphones and had to get different headphones as compliments for the T1.3, it spoiled me and I realized I wanted different sound signatures. I personally found I'm very happy with the T1.3 as my main headphone and the R70X as a compliment. I think the T1.3 is my endgame main headphone. I think this headphone will slowly gain a following, I think some initial impressions put some people off.

Aug 29, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #1,122 of 1,833
Glad to hear you're liking the T1.3 so much. I personally let go of a lot of headphones and had to get different headphones as compliments for the T1.3, it spoiled me and I realized I wanted different sound signatures. I personally found I'm very happy with the T1.3 as my main headphone and the R70X as a compliment. I think the T1.3 is my endgame main headphone. I think this headphone will slowly gain a following, I think some initial impressions put some people off.
How do the T1s sound on your UDX-1s? With that high impedance output?

Aug 30, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #1,123 of 1,833
Main problem of T1.3 are stock pads. They make it more 'muddy' then you would expect from high end product which suppose to kill you with details etc. This is at least what most people recognize as high end headphone. Don't get me wrong, all details are there and always been, thing is first impressions is way too warm and dark then you would ever expect Beyers to be. I had DT990 before and i was also a bit miss leaded at the beginning, but given time and after few longer sessions (few enhanced with green products) made me feel like i had to never ever sell those or even think about that. At right moment they gave me the pleasure of being on the scene and walk around musicians. Also i just love versatility of this, comfort is incredible, low impedance? It is best possible option if you don't own 10 cans. I can use them in multiple places, watch TV via Qudelix. I own DT177X also but i did use them twice for compression in the time of owning T1 and I will definitely put them up for sale as they are not even half way close to what T1 offers. I always wanted to try DT1990 Pros but now, i have a problem to justify 250ohm as i would rather not have 2 open cans. One would have to go for sure. What i want to say is i bought T1.3 mostly due to curiosity and was ready for return/resell later on. Now I'm completly lost. I need more money in this hobby so i can continue my journey and test other products while i keep my T1's. ***

Sep 1, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #1,124 of 1,833
They finally came!
1630469867888.jpeg

Sep 2, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #1,125 of 1,833
The two most immediate things I noticed with these cans were - the heightened bass response & how easy these were to drive from a volume perspective. What I would normally go full volume on regular gain on my DT880s or halfway to three o'clock on high gain, I can achieve with my T1s all on regular gain, and nothing, not even shoddily mastered or live recordings (particularly bootlegs) pushing it to regular gain at its highest extent, let alone high gain.

Coming from my neutral-bright DT880s, the T1 particularly caught me off guard at first, but a re-listen of my favourite album of all time, John Fahey's Fare Forward Voyagers (Soldier's Choice) (1973), made it all clear - both figuratively and literally. It's that heightened lower-end, providing Fahey's bass notes with an almost drone-y feeling, hypnotising me for its forty minutes. I don't find the mids recessed - they expose weaker vocalists and/or music mixed with lesser emphasis on the vocalist, and allow the instruments to take over instead, or place on pedestals vocalists that wish to highlight their unique vocals. One quick listen of tracks from Joanna Newsom's The Milk-Eyed Mender (2004) is a perfect example of this - I've never heard her vocals being as intimate and defeated on Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie (2004), or as authoritative on Peach, Plum, Pear (2004). The treble isn't as sparkly as my DT880s (although not much really is), and honestly, it's a nice change of pace. If the treble response on the DT880 are a hailstorm - constant, attacking and hard, the T1's treble feels more like a cloud - you could stay in it forever.

And in terms of literally every other aspect of sound - detail, soundstage, instrument separation - the T1 is far and away the better headphone in that regard. This is my first high-end headphone, and it may not be my last, let-alone an end-game one, but I'll cherish this one. I'm interested to see how the DT880 performs once my Sansui AU-101s come - and my T1's compatibility on that integrated amplifier.

(P.S. The DT880s feel more comfortable for now, but they've had three weeks of wearing in compared to my T1s just arriving yesterday. I'm sure that over multiple weeks and even months, the comfort of these cans will be fully-realised, and maybe might brighten up a little? Although I love them as is.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back