Beyerdynamic or Grado
Jun 13, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 14
*By the way: I must say that, from what I've heard (DT990 and SR325i using Mahogany Orenholz cups -- Also have V4 Magnums but I won't consider them as "Grado's" for this), both Grado and Beyerdynamic have a quite similar sound "signature" (at least with the two headphones I've heard). Both tend to be bright, have "punchy" (bot really "deep", extended) fast and precise bass recessed uper-midrange and emphasis on high frequencies.

DT990 has a more "grainy" noise floor (not really silent) and show up a little bit more microdetail, also it has a far better/larger soundstage and tend to be less "analog-like" sounding than the SR325i, both are quite "U" curved in frequency response (the DT990 having a tad more midrange). Other than that they are, to me, really quite close in terms of sound signature, even though they have some obvious differences I still think they can be interpreted as having the same "type/kind/style" of sound (but one, the DT990, presenting that style in a more analytical way and the other, SR325i, presenting that same style in a more tube-like/analog way).

Jun 20, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
So, I'll go right to the point:

Grado's PS1000 or T1 'Tesla' from Beyerdynamic and why.

Please, post your opinions, specially if you heard them both actually!

Thanks.

Heya,

T1 with appropriate equipment. Better sound stage, better comfort, better durability. Amazing extension too.

Very best,

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Heya,

T1 with appropriate equipment. Better sound stage, better comfort, better durability. Amazing extension too.

Very best,

Defintely agree on the comfort and build quality front but sound stage? perhaps you mean imaging ability but the
 PS1000 has more space, especially in terms of depth than any other headphone - yes including the HD800
 which boasts a slightly taller sound stage.

My advice :- if you listen to mainly jazz, classical, acoustic and other audiophile recordings (no pop, dance
 or anything too modern - go with the PS1000.

If on the other hand you listen to 101 different genres ranging from reggae, pop, dance, classical, rap etc
 - go for the T1. It is more versatile however with some really good recordings - I find it to be inferior to
 the sonic delights of the PS1000.

Jun 25, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
And which one is the best with distorted guitars, please? I want the guitar solos to go all "crrrrrunschhh" crispy, crispy, sounding! 

I would pick the PS1000 in that respect - in my mind - Grado is still the headphone of choice for guitar
 aficionados, having said that the T1 is not far behind and it will have 'overall' the more forward guitar
 presentation but on selected tracks in your collection it will once again be bested by the PS1000.

In a nutshell, the T1 will be more consistent with all your distorted guitar material giving you a stable
 forward presentation whilst the PS1000 is more recording dependent giving you a slightly laid back 
 position on some recordings, on others it will be perfectly frontal and visceral.

Lastly, I think the PS1000 is the warmer between the two so it will be less glare-y and nasty with some
 gnashy recordings that were not perfect in the first place.

Jun 25, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 14
 I would pick the PS1000 in that respect - in my mind - Grado is still the headphone of choice for guitar

aficionados

Think the PS1000 can deliver, at least a very similar, crispy crunchy distorted electric guitar sound of the aluminum V4 Magnums (my current No.1 rocking headphone for bad recorded, guitar heavy rock and metal -- But not most classic rock songs, those belong mostly to the HD800)? Please

Jun 25, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
Think the PS1000 can deliver, at least a very similar, crispy crunchy distorted electric guitar sound of the aluminum V4 Magnums (my current No.1 rocking headphone for bad recorded, guitar heavy rock and metal -- But not most classic rock songs, those belong mostly to the HD800)? Please

Well I enjoy my pair with well recorded metal like eg, Megadeth's 'Countdown to Extinction' and even quasi-metal like 'Rage Against the Machine's' debut album.

But there is no escaping it - both are reference headphones and both will murder your ears if the recording stinks. The only headphone I can think of that
 makes a decent reproduction of poorly recorded metal is the LCD2/3 - the real beef there though is that I have issue with how they replicate guitar, the
 sizzle and crunch is not there and it sounds a little artificial to my ears. The HD800 I agree is probably the best non-Grado guitar headphone I have heard.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #10 of 14
 Well I enjoy my pair with well recorded metal like eg, Megadeth's 'Countdown to Extinction' and even quasi-metal like 'Rage Against the Machine's' debut album.

But there is no escaping it - both are reference headphones and both will murder your ears if the recording stinks. The only headphone I can think of that
 makes a decent reproduction of poorly recorded metal is the LCD2/3 - the real beef there though is that I have issue with how they replicate guitar, the
 sizzle and crunch is not there and it sounds a little artificial to my ears. The HD800 I agree is probably the best non-Grado guitar headphone I have heard.

Thanks man, apretiate your input! Guess a PS1000 is on the way... I hope to stop all this expenses with audio for a good while then (I must hold myself on!).

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 14
I've heard the T1 for a short while at the Montréal Hi-Fi show last spring,so i honestly can't precisely recall how they sounded,i do however have the PS-1000,and the only thing i don't like about them is their weight,they have nice deep bass,natural mids,good treble extension,and a wide,deep ''airy''soundstage.

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 14
 There is no escaping it - the PS1000 needs an aftermarket crafted headband - I really should listen to my own advice
biggrin.gif

It is ok if you listen in 40-60minute chunks but anything over 2 hours in one stint - you will need one of these made up.

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
 There is no escaping it - the PS1000 needs an aftermarket crafted headband - I really should listen to my own advice
biggrin.gif

It is ok if you listen in 40-60minute chunks but anything over 2 hours in one stint - you will need one of these made up.

In my case,it's not the pressure that they put ON my head that bothers me,it's when i lean my head back in my chair,they just want to slip off my smallish head.

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
"PS-1000"
In my case,it's not the pressure that they put ON my head that bothers me,it's when i lean my head back in my chair,they just want to slip off my smallish head.

Yes, and that headband is set with the padded side pointing toward the sky anyway. The side resting on your head for it looks even less comfortable than the stock headband's padding :S.

I would have voted for PS-1000, but that's only because I'm such a Grado fanboy. I never heard any of the two so I refrained myself from voting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back