Beyerdynamic DTX 100 vs ?
Jul 6, 2009 at 8:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Swingtops

Head-Fier
So I am looking for anyone who has heard these IEMs, haven't really heard much about them and I am trying to decide between these models:

Beyer DTX 100
UE Super.Fi 5
Etymotic ER 6i

Used primarily for music, listen to rock, swing, pretty much anything. Bass is the most important feature for me. Isolation and comfort are also key. I would like to keep the cost under $150.

Thanks for the help in advance

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 8
The DTX get less bassy/bass dominant as they go up the line DTX50>60>80>100. The Ety and SF 5 would have less bass than the Beyer though probably a bit better bass. What about the bass is important? The amount or the quality? Not sure how much you really want. I have not heard the Beyers. They are a risk. They are quite new and an unknown and if overpriced they might not be worth the ~$120.

The Beyer would have the least isolation of that bunch. The Ety the most.

The Futuresonic Atrio(V2) can be had for $150 and might be the best combo for comfort/isolation/bass quality. It has more bass and reaches lower than the others. More tactile and textured and impactful bass also. This site has good reviews on them and other earphones...techPowerUp :: Future Sonics Atrio In-ears Review :: Page 1 / 4.

The Atrio might have too much bass for you. The Phonak PFE( with black filters) has some good speed and a smidge more bass than the SF 5 does. It has good isolation and comfort(depending on the ears though). You could search up on them. They seem to undergoing a change for better durability. Not sure how far along that has come.

Also, the RE0 are $99 right now. Similar sound signature/sound balance to PFE. I had both and preferred the RE0. The RE0 needs foam tips for better isolation since they are more of a canalphone design than a deeper inserting design.

Jul 6, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 8
Great info! I should have been a little more descriptive with what I was looking for.

Bass:
Definitely quality over quantity, to give you an idea the dt770s are absolutely perfect for me - the bass is very tight but still has a lot of amplitude. I don't expect to get the same amount of bass from the IEMs but I would like to keep the same "proportions" if that makes any sense.

Mids and Highs are less important to me as long as they don't sound tinny

I had looked into the Atrios but the reviews didn't really do it for me.
I had not heard of the RE0s so I will definitely look those up, I kind of wanted to try a canalphone because of the reduced occlusion and microphonic effects.

Thanks again

Jul 6, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 8
Head-fier Joshatdot has both the DT770 and Atrio I believe. You can shoot him a PM.

Not sure what turned you off the Atrio but for people who want bass like the DT770 the Futuresonics are the ones.

The RE0 has very little bass amplitude without EQ or amping. It is neutral and more light hitting. If you want DT770 amplitude or "proportions" you probably want Turbines(~$100), IE6($150 at a couple places), Atrio, or maybe the new Audio Technica ATH-CKS70(~$100).

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/a...n-pics-430448/ A thread with a comparison between the CKS and the Turbines. The CKS would seem to have a similar sound balance to the DT770. Looks to have quality bass with a real good punch. I have an AT(the CK10) and had a couple others and the build quality on them is among the best. I have no reservation recommending the CKS70 as a good choice.

Jul 7, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 8
Well sorry to lead you on,
I found an awesome deal on klipsch custom 3s so I did it, the reason I hadn't included them in the original list was because I thought I couldn't afford them. As it turns out they will be $137 to my door!

Thanks for all your help again, I really appreciate it.

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 8
The Custom 3's under $150 is a good deal and should sound the way you want. Good luck with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back