Beyerdynamic DT880's vs DT990's for gaming (600Ohm)
Nov 9, 2013 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jacoblab1

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm currently in the market for a new pair of headphones. I currently use beats by dr dre solo because I got them as a gift. I am looking to get either DT880s or DT990s depending on what you guys recommend. 

I will be using the headphones for gaming and a bit of music  listening. I make youtube videos so I don't want to have too much sound leakage, and I heard that could be a problem with the DT990s. I also will wear them for long periods of time, and I read on here that the 990s are more comfortable. 

I can get either pair for 299 on ncix.ca. I will also need something to power them, not sure if I should look for a sound card or dac/amp. I won't be able to get the soundcard or whatever for a month or two after I get the headphones, but I assume they will be able to run under asus supremefx temporarily?

Sorry if there is a lot of questions but I'm really just wondering what you guys would recommend I get for my uses.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 5
Heya,

DT880 - Balanced, warm neutral, with some sparkle in the treble.
DT990 - Bassy and bright.

Both are very comfortable. PRO versions have a little more clamp pressure from the headband.

You do not need the 600ohm versions. It's beyond overstated that they're any different from their 250ohm variants. It's the same headphone with more resistance added at the voice coils. The sonic differences are due to interplay with different amplifiers at these different work load levels. Don't worry about this. Worry more about simply selecting the headphone that best matches your needs/preferences. And get something that will properly drive it, regardless of what impedance version you go with, that fits in your budget and again purposes.

I would simply go with the DT990 PRO (250ohm) with a Sound Blaster Z for a gaming setup if you want a little more oumph in the bass for fun (and for music if you like bassier stuff).

Swap in the DT880 PRO 250ohm (less expensive and sounds just as good to the ear as the `600ohm' variant) if you want a more balanced sound.

Both of these are open/semi-open and leak sound. If you're making YouTube clips, the sound will leak. It's that simple.

Very best,

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 5
  Heya,

DT880 - Balanced, warm neutral, with some sparkle in the treble.
DT990 - Bassy and bright.

Both are very comfortable. PRO versions have a little more clamp pressure from the headband.

You do not need the 600ohm versions. It's beyond overstated that they're any different from their 250ohm variants. It's the same headphone with more resistance added at the voice coils. The sonic differences are due to interplay with different amplifiers at these different work load levels. Don't worry about this. Worry more about simply selecting the headphone that best matches your needs/preferences. And get something that will properly drive it, regardless of what impedance version you go with, that fits in your budget and again purposes.

I would simply go with the DT990 PRO (250ohm) with a Sound Blaster Z for a gaming setup if you want a little more oumph in the bass for fun (and for music if you like bassier stuff).

Swap in the DT880 PRO 250ohm (less expensive and sounds just as good to the ear as the `600ohm' variant) if you want a more balanced sound.

Both of these are open/semi-open and leak sound. If you're making YouTube clips, the sound will leak. It's that simple.

Very best,

Thanks for the response! I was just looking at what else was on ncix and I saw the Beyerdynamic Tesla T70P for $400 ($250 off regular price). They are only 32Ohm so if I got those I guess I would save 100~ on a amp and it would end up being the same price. They are also closed headphones so it would probably better for youtube. Any experience with them?

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 5
Heya,

Lots of experience with the T70. Here's my review of the 250ohm version.

Note, the T70P doesn't need much, if any, amplification. It's meant to run from portable devices. The 250ohm version needs a little minor amplification.

The T70 is very, very different from the DT line of Beyer headphones. The T70 is probably the weirdest Beyer that doesn't sound much like a Beyer (to me at least) out of their line up. But that's merely my opinion.

Very best,

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 5
  Heya,

Lots of experience with the T70. Here's my review of the 250ohm version.

Note, the T70P doesn't need much, if any, amplification. It's meant to run from portable devices. The 250ohm version needs a little minor amplification.

The T70 is very, very different from the DT line of Beyer headphones. The T70 is probably the weirdest Beyer that doesn't sound much like a Beyer (to me at least) out of their line up. But that's merely my opinion.

Very best,

Alright thanks. I think I will probably go for the 990s then. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back