Beyerdynamic DT880
Sep 2, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 18
The DT880s that are consistently touted are 600 ohm. Do a search: this is a very current topic with many replies.

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 18
I say go for the 600Ohm if possible. Way better headphone IMO.

The difference between Pro and Premium is subtle. Pro usually has more clamping force. Personally I have never heard the Pro DT880, but I know the Pro DT770 has much more bass the the Premium DT770.

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #4 of 18
Thanks for the replies. The main reason I was wondering about the differences is the ~$70 price difference between the two.

For the most part, I was learning toward the 250ohm version because local stores are more likely to have them (since they aren't special order) so I can stop in and hear them.

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 18
Curiously, do you have an amp of some sort?

You can drive the 250's out of a soundcard or stereo receiver - although they are not going to have the sort of sound stage, bass presence, or separation they will put out if driven by a dedicated hp amp.

The 600 ohm version (although highly touted for its tighter bass and more subdued trebles) would likely not be a good buy for you unless you have something capable of driving them.

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 18
Currently I don't have an amp, but I was panning on getting a gilmore lite when/if I get a set of 880's. Any thoughts as to whether or not it'll be able to drive a set of 600ohm cans?

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say go for the 600Ohm if possible. Way better headphone IMO.

The difference between Pro and Premium is subtle. Pro usually has more clamping force. Personally I have never heard the Pro DT880, but I know the Pro DT770 has much more bass the the Premium DT770.

Yeah, I noticed in the specs that the headband pressure of pro's is 3.5N while the premium's is 2.8N. Other than that, the only difference in the specs is coiled vs. straight cable. I wonder how these small changes justify a ~$70 difference.

According to some of the threads here, there's no sonic difference between the two...

Sep 2, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sflogin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently I don't have an amp, but I was panning on getting a gilmore lite when/if I get a set of 880's. Any thoughts as to whether or not it'll be able to drive a set of 600ohm cans?

With ease and plenty of headroom to spare.

Sep 2, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 18
I wonder why many ppl on this forum say that you need super-beefy tube amp(+20V) to drive the beyer 600Ohmers? my DT770/600Ω sounds fine on line-out's...bass is great, trebles too. many professionals say that the higher the impedance, the easier to drive, and that seems to be the situation
redface.gif

I know my cd1k(same drivers as cd3k) is a PITA to drive(32Ω/104dB), on line-outs you get no bass at all and very thin/whiny trebles.

I will try a Corda Arietta(max. 13V) next week, maybe it'll be a nigh and day
smily_headphones1.gif

ppl say that tube amp makes the sound "float" on these things
confused.gif

May 25, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 18
Hey everyone, 

I'm looking to get the DT 880's. I'm also looking to get the Little Dot MkIII.
Will the amp drive these cans to a decent loud level? David from Little Dot  emailed me that this amp will sound best with high impendance phones.  Is that correct?
If so, I'll get the 600 ohm version.  The input to the amp will be from my Cambridge Audio DacMagic ( I love it) . Will this be a killer phones set up? I can't audition the phones and amp, so I would like some honest advice before getting this equipment. Don't want the hassle of returning !!

Thanks Beer Man

May 26, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
The Little Dot MKIII should do very well with the DT880, 600ohm or 250ohm.
dt880smile.png

I've read that the 600 ohm's response is more linear and has a better controlled bass then the 250ohm. Correct?
I'll mainly use the 880's for serious in home listening using the DacMagic and Little Dot MkIII.

Anyone have a fave pick for a battery powered amp that works well with the DT 880's if I want to go portable with my ipod Touch?

Thanks

May 26, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
Anyone have a fave pick for a battery powered amp that works well with the DT 880's if I want to go portable with my ipod Touch?

You might be better off getting portable headphones or IEMs, it'll cost more or less the same as a good, beefy portable amp. More convenient, sealed and isolating. 

May 30, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #15 of 18
The iQube will drive the 600 ohm Beyers to an acceptable volume only in a relatively quiet environment, but not in a noisy environment like an airplane.  The iQube is musical, but lacks the strength to provide the dynamics that the Beyers can reveal so well.
I tried the Decware Zen Head (less expensive than the iQube) yesterday on a flight with the DT770s, and it had more than enough power to overcome the high ambient noise of a window seat next to the engines. 
Both the iQube and Zen Head were fed by an iPod classic lod connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back