Beyerdynamic DT880 *closed-back*
Jul 4, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #301 of 331
I don't think it matters what sort of tape you use, Gaffer would be okay. What counts is that the surface gets sealed somehow. The houseware fleece is the stuff mummy uses to clean up things, one package contains 10 pieces or so, you usually get in in the supermarket for next to nothing.

Tiemen is right, trying that mod with the stock pads just doesn't work (even taped).

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #302 of 331

Quote:
I don't think it matters what sort of tape you use, Gaffer would be okay. What counts is that the surface gets sealed somehow. The houseware fleece is the stuff mummy uses to clean up things, one package contains 10 pieces or so, you usually get in in the supermarket for next to nothing.

Tiemen is right, trying that mod with the stock pads just doesn't work (even taped).

I think it may be known by a different name here in the U.S.--can't find anything called houseware fleece. Could you mean microfiber cloth? Or some kind of wet wipe?

As for trying the mod with stock pads--I'm afraid I must disagree with both you and Tiemen on that point, based solely on my own experience. I bought my 880s primarily to use for gaming (connected to my computer's sound card via a Fiio E9) and for that purpose, they were pretty much useless. Almost no bass at all and what there was was thin and metallic sounding--very unpleasant to listen to. I liked everything else about them but the almost total lack of bass left the sound as a whole seeming very hollow, so bad that I didn't even bother to use them at all.

I drilled a hole through each of the metal cups and lined the backing and the driver with felt and suddenly they were like a completely different set of headphones--bass! No more hollow sound! Now I listen to them all the time and would never go back to stock. I'm sure they will sound even better with the DT770 pads and I can't wait to try them, but if anyone is hesitating to try this mod because they don't have the 770 pads--I say, don't wait. Go ahead and see if it makes an improvement on your setup.

The only thing I regret is that in an effort to squeeze even more bass out of them I think I made the hole too large on the second go round. I don't hear an increase in bass compared to the smaller hole and the bass seems looser and not as tight now, although that could be entirely psychological. Do you think I could make the hole smaller with tape? Or am I simply stuck with the larger hole?

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #306 of 331
Hi everyone,

I wonder if you could tell me how this passage of the tutorial is meant:

Alternatives:

- a DT770 edition/pro and just change the drivers

Could I use a DT770 Pro Chassis and equip it with DT880 Drivers and reach nearly the same effect as your mod or can I also modify the drivers of the DT770 with felt or sth. else and get the same effect?

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #307 of 331

Quote:
ould I use a DT770 Pro Chassis and equip it with DT880 Drivers and reach nearly the same effect as your mod 

Correct.

Quote:
or can I also modify the drivers of the DT770

At least, Beyerdynamic uses the same driver for 990/880/770, but they are using different damping schemes. It is easier to transform a DT880 driver to a DT990/770 but its possible vice versa.

----

In a few days I will receive the new Beyerdynamic T70 pads. I'm very curious how these will work.

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #308 of 331
Thanks for your fast reply. :wink:
So I'll look for a damaged/cheap DT770 as chassis and buy two 880/600 drivers.

The better (financial) solution would be the modification of the stock DT770 drivers, but I can not hope for a little help with this, I think? :wink: I mean a short explanation of the differences between the dribers or/and how I could modify it. A lot to ask, but also a possible extend for your tutorial. :)

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #309 of 331
The problem is this kind of diaphragm on the backside of the driver.

At that time I didn't find a proper material to imitate this diaphragm.

The other difference to DT990/770 driver is the 3mm thick felt in front of the driver.

That's the easy part.

Aug 27, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #311 of 331
Shame on me, but I've put mine FS if someone's interested...

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #312 of 331
I bought Nickchen's DT880s closed back (DT880CBs, aka Beyerlux).These are based on DT880 600 ohm systems, with J$ v1 leather pads and without alubutyl mod.

I had Beyer T1 before with a tube amp, but sold them to get LCD-2 v1. Having LCD-2s and DT880CBs now, I would not go get Beyer T1s again if I had another $1000 to spend. The DT880CBs do not feel out of place when compared to LCD-2s (their sound signatures nicely complement each other). Compared to LCD-2s, the DT880CBs present drastically better comfort and isolation, more treble, more perceived clarity and soundstage. I enjoy having both cans.

The DT880CBs are good enough such that I no longer transport my LCD-2s between office and home (LCD-2s now stay at home and DT880CBs stay in the office). The DT880CBs provide Denon's level of isolation, which is perfect for me and my co-workers. PRaT and soundstage are very nice among all the open and closed cans I have heard.

I can not provide any direct comparison with other Beyers as I no longer have them. But based on my memory and personal preference, I will rank the DT880CBs in this way:
LCD-2 > T1 > DT880CB > ATH-AD2000 > SkyBeyer/DT770 32 > DarthBeyer V2/DT770pro = AKG K400

Compared to DT880CBs, I guess T1s present better bass, mid and soundstage, but the gap does not justify their 3X-4X asking price. I think this is a compliment to DT880CBs, as I was a fan boy of the Beyer T1s and Beyers in general. My previous SkyBeyer/DT770 32 present better bass than DT880CBs but are worse at everything else. DarthBeyer V2/DT770pro seem a league below the DT880CBs.

I love these cans. Thank you, NoXter and nickchen, for your wonderful creation! Please keep up the good work.

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #313 of 331

Quote:
Compared to DT880CBs, I guess T1s present better bass, mid and soundstage, but the gap does not justify their 3X-4X asking price. I think this is a compliment to DT880CBs, as I was a fan boy of the Beyer T1s and Beyers in general. My previous SkyBeyer/DT770 32 present better bass than DT880CBs but are worse at everything else. DarthBeyer V2/DT770pro seem a league below the DT880CBs.

I love these cans. Thank you, NoXter and nickchen, for your wonderful creation! Please keep up the good work.

When I listened to the Beyer DT880 & T1's I got the same impression, as if the T1 was merely a better DT880, worth the extra price though? well not quite sure, probably not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back