Beyerdynamic DT880 *closed-back*
Dec 9, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #271 of 331
NoXter, you don't seem to like leather earpads on the DT880 closed back.
Why not (just curious)?

Dec 9, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #273 of 331
The CB brightens up and the mids sound thin. This is really a tragedy. I loved the real-leather Manufaktur pads. Their smell and the wearing comfort was fantastic. 
dt880smile.png

Quote:
NoXter, you don't seem to like leather earpads on the DT880 closed back.
Why not (just curious)?

Dec 13, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #274 of 331
Today I got the new 770 pads. Really nice change in sound(stage, imaging) only from swapping out the original pads. I couldn't have ever imaged that the pads alone could change the sound that much, especially when they look a lot like the other ones.

Very pleased by this, they also fit my ears a bit better, so a definitive plus. Now I only need some felt and eventually the alubutyl. Not sure about the alubutyl... there's no way back once I stick the butyl inside the phones. I'll probably try it without it first. Any benefits in sound from the alubutyl, except for the better isolation?

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #276 of 331
Well, some new cognitions:

1. when you place your bass-reflex-hole like shown in step 2.5, it makes a difference if you have following cloth

still directly behind the grill or not. The bass-reflex-hole must be even bigger than 4mm when this cloth is still there.
To avoid a damaged appearence it make sense to drill a hole in the housing instead of doing step 2.5.
For example:

But at least that is something Nickchen and I have to validate more particular.

2. I stated that the alubutyl (or in this context slightly smaller volume in the housings due the Alubutyl) have no great effect on sound. Seems there is happening something with the kickbass.
We will try to validate this soon.

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #278 of 331
I also doubt that this sheet behind the grill plays a greater role soundwize. The Alubutyl definetely does, that hard punch was really awesome...

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #279 of 331
For my pair of Fostex I bought the Akasa foam. It does a very good job of killing sound waves that are coming from the back of the driver.

Hmm, should I cover the inside of my DT880 wood cups with the foam?

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #280 of 331
Definetely maybe
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #282 of 331
My cups are quite big. :wink:

I installed a layer at the back of the cup. Things are not a lot different. I feel there is a small loss in volume and slightly better mids (took off some peakiness)... Hmm, I am inclined to think it made a difference but it could be a placebo caused by fatigue. :wink:

Anyway, I hope you guys like the woodied DT880CB! I will send it to you guys very soon now.

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #283 of 331
Definetely a thing to be curious about.

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #285 of 331
Well, had the chance to spend some time with apatN's monster-housings CB. The treble was a bit too harsh for my taste, but you'll get 2 slices of my magic-purple-felt to experiment with. 
biggrin.gif
The soundstage wasn't so much different to my CB. Sometimes I had the feeling that some instruments are far too distant. I was surprised that the housing had so less damping. Could imagine that it would bring a more balanced tonality when the housings get more damping.
The deep-bass was pretty cool. 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back