Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO vs Audio Technica ATH M50 vs Ultrasone PRO 750 vs Ultrasone Hfi 780's
Jun 15, 2012 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mistarobotics

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to buy a good set of headphones, and I've narrowed it down to the Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro, Audio Technica ath M50, and the Ultrasone PRO 750. I don't know which to choose so could someone give me some info on how the compare? I basically want a headphone that has really good sound quality, comfortable, and has good isolation (also closed headphone). I'm mostly going to use it for music (like electronica). I want it to also last long so I won't have to go out and buy another one for the same price. I don't plan on buying an amp so whichever has the best of those qualities without needing an amp I'll take. Tell me which is better and which you would prefer.

EDIT: I've added the Ultrasone Hfi 780's

Jun 19, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 13
Audio Technica M50s- They have great mid and low bass but it really downs out the rest of the sound.  I personally did not like them and I am a bass head.  The Ultrasone HFI-580s are the same price and have very similar bass (very similar) but much better highs an mids are better.  Not to mention the sound stage is a lot better too.  They are very comfortable, can sit on your head for hours.

Ultrasone Pro 750s - I havent heard these but I know they have less bass than the HFI-580s which are much cheaper but the 750s have better mids and highs and the clarity is superior.  The comfort on the Ultrasones is not the greatest.  If I were you, I would go for the HFI-580s and save some money because it sounds like you like bass.

DT 770 Pros - If you go with the 80 or 250 ohm cans you will want an amp to go with it.  If you can get the 32 ohm for a decent price then go for it.  I also find these cans very comfortable.

Basically out of the 3, I would go with the DT 770 Pro 32 ohm(without the amp).  If you want to save some money, the Ultrasone HFI-580s would be a great buy for you as well.

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
Audio Technica M50s- They have great mid and low bass but it really downs out the rest of the sound.  I personally did not like them and I am a bass head.  The Ultrasone HFI-580s are the same price and have very similar bass (very similar) but much better highs an mids are better.  Not to mention the sound stage is a lot better too.  They are very comfortable, can sit on your head for hours.

Ultrasone Pro 750s - I havent heard these but I know they have less bass than the HFI-580s which are much cheaper but the 750s have better mids and highs and the clarity is superior.  The comfort on the Ultrasones is not the greatest.  If I were you, I would go for the HFI-580s and save some money because it sounds like you like bass.

DT 770 Pros - If you go with the 80 or 250 ohm cans you will want an amp to go with it.  If you can get the 32 ohm for a decent price then go for it.  I also find these cans very comfortable.

Basically out of the 3, I would go with the DT 770 Pro 32 ohm(without the amp).  If you want to save some money, the Ultrasone HFI-580s would be a great buy for you as well.

Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I'll check them out

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 13
Out of curiosity, are you going for something for pure music listening, aka, musical enjoyment?
or accuracy and a flat eq?
i was going through a headphone search recently and found that a flat eq didnt do it for me, I needed something "fun" sounding...

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 13
If your in the US, good luck trying to find an 32 Ohm 770 Pro.  The only ones I have seen are on eBay and they were running more than 2 x the price of the M50, which is the only other can on your list that will worked unamped.  By default the M50 is your winner.

Both the Pro 750 (most balanced sound but with strong bass) and 770 Pro 250 Ohm (best build) are better cans, but also more expensive--especially + the cost of an amp.

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
If your in the US, good luck trying to find an 32 Ohm 770 Pro.  The only ones I have seen are on eBay and they were running more than 2 x the price of the M50, which is the only other can on your list that will worked unamped.  By default the M50 is your winner.

Both the Pro 750 (most balanced sound but with strong bass) and 770 Pro 250 Ohm (best build) are better cans, but also more expensive--especially + the cost of an amp.

Ok Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #7 of 13
I have to say i love my m50's for the price...  I didnt like the feel of the 580's (then again i didnt give them a few days, only a few hours)  that being said my drug of choice when it comes to more bassy headphones are my denon d2000 (with amp) I have the e7+e9 combo, but when im on the run i use the e7 and they sound great. The e7 + e9 combo is around 100.. (e7 alone is 75) 

That being said, if you would use the combo at home it makes sense to get that.. I dont know if any one else has any suggestions on a mobile amp but thats where i started. Try the dt770 *80 ohm and the e7+e9 perhaps.... Probably cost around 300, maybe a little less. 

Im "newer" so please take what i say with a grain of salt.. 

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
I have to say i love my m50's for the price...  I didnt like the feel of the 580's (then again i didnt give them a few days, only a few hours)  that being said my drug of choice when it comes to more bassy headphones are my denon d2000 (with amp) I have the e7+e9 combo, but when im on the run i use the e7 and they sound great. The e7 + e9 combo is around 100.. (e7 alone is 75) 

That being said, if you would use the combo at home it makes sense to get that.. I dont know if any one else has any suggestions on a mobile amp but thats where i started. Try the dt770 *80 ohm and the e7+e9 perhaps.... Probably cost around 300, maybe a little less. 

ok thanks for the advice :)

Jun 20, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

The FiiO E11 and the CMOYbb would be the best options for portable amps under $60.

Jun 21, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 13
Right band wrong cans..

Ultrasone Hifi 780's are better than all of the ones you are looking into because they do exactly what you are looking for plus they only cost about $149 (US amazon). They hit really hard, dont need an amp, look great, the seal they have is amazing so your sound will not leak out and did I mention that they hit like Mike Tyson in his prime?? These are some amazing thumpers that wont break the bank and that you wont be embarrassed to leave the house in. I'm also researching M-Audio Q40's that look very very intriguing and will probably be shipping to my house in a very short amount of time :) I'll post the link here so you can check it out for your self...

the M-Audio Q40

Good Luck and let us know what you choose!!

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Right band wrong cans..

Ultrasone Hifi 780's are better than all of the ones you are looking into because they do exactly what you are looking for plus they only cost about $149 (US amazon). They hit really hard, dont need an amp, look great, the seal they have is amazing so your sound will not leak out and did I mention that they hit like Mike Tyson in his prime?? These are some amazing thumpers that wont break the bank and that you wont be embarrassed to leave the house in. I'm also researching M-Audio Q40's that look very very intriguing and will probably be shipping to my house in a very short amount of time :) I'll post the link here so you can check it out for your self...

the M-Audio Q40

Good Luck and let us know what you choose!!

I did look at the M-Audo Q40s like a couple of months ago and they looked pretty cool. I also looked at the Ultrasone Hfi 780 and they look pretty good also. Recently I was looking at the V-Moda Crossfade LP2 and read some reviews about it. I kind of want the LP2 so how would the hfi 780 compare to the lp2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back