Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #331 of 464
Hi all,
My DT 770 250Ohms should be arriving in the coming week and I was wondering about amping.
I have a Fiio E07K, but I understand that these cans sound a lot better with a more powerful desktop amp (Is this true?), so I am debating between getting the E09K (and using the E07K in the dock as a DAC) or getting the Schiit Magni 2 and using the E07K as a DAC (via L7 dock) and using the Magni 2 as my amp.
All thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
Thanks!

Haven't tried the E07/9 combo but the fiio E10 does a pretty good job with the DT770. Doesn't sounds as nice as my bottlehead crack but works for my work setup.

Jan 27, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #332 of 464
I used to use them with Xonar STX through RCA (so without the 'amp', straight of the sound card) and I didn't complaint. But when I plugged them into an amp and different sources, they got better.
The only thing I wouldn't plug them into is a smartphone - that was a no go in my case.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #335 of 464
I was looking for the high impedance (200 ohm or above) closed headphones, and I narrowed down to DT770 250 ohm and Sennheiser HD250. I know that the HD250 is discontinued, but I think there's some selling them on ebay. Is there anyone who listened to both and give some comparison?

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #336 of 464
I have an original pair of ATH-M50s that I use at work. The sound is adequate, but the comfort of these headphones bothers me after an hour or two. So I'm seriously considering the DT770 250ohm because:

a. I need a closed back headphone
b. I'm not ready to spend the money on a THXXX or TH900 yet.

But here's the deal...I currently run the ATs straight from my iPad and they work reasonably well.
If I go to 770s, I'll need an amp. Not a big deal to add a Magni/Modi except I'm also going to be upgrading my home rig in the next 6 months which would free up a Lyr 2 and Bifrost MB to come to the office. Then I'd have an extra Magni/Modi that I'd really have no use for. So I'm wondering if a Schiit Fulla would do the DT770's any benefit, so that I didn't have much invested in gear that may be made redundant in a few months?

Thanks.

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #337 of 464
  I have an original pair of ATH-M50s that I use at work. The sound is adequate, but the comfort of these headphones bothers me after an hour or two. So I'm seriously considering the DT770 250ohm because:

But here's the deal...I currently run the ATs straight from my iPad and they work reasonably well.
If I go to 770s, I'll need an amp. Not a big deal to add a Magni/Modi except I'm also going to be upgrading my home rig in the next 6 months which would free up a Lyr 2 and Bifrost MB to come to the office. Then I'd have an extra Magni/Modi that I'd really have no use for. So I'm wondering if a Schiit Fulla would do the DT770's any benefit, so that I didn't have much invested in gear that may be made redundant in a few months?

Thanks.

I used a Fiio E07k with my DT 770's for a few weeks until I got my Schiit stack and it was fine, I would imagine that the same would hold true for the Fulla.

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #338 of 464

Thanks.

I used a Fiio E07k with my DT 770's for a few weeks until I got my Schiit stack and it was fine, I would imagine that the same would hold true for the Fulla.

You know I forgot that I've had a Fiio E17 laying around for a couple of years that I could also try. I never thought it was anything special, but it might be a tad better than what the iPad has built in.

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #339 of 464

You know I forgot that I've had a Fiio E17 laying around for a couple of years that I could also try. I never thought it was anything special, but it might be a tad better than what the iPad has built in.

It will definitely be able to push it better than the iPad, as far as quality, I have no idea how they compare.

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:13 AM Post #340 of 464
Listening to the soundtrack to the Last Hunger Games. Just sublime with these....

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #341 of 464
  I was looking for the high impedance (200 ohm or above) closed headphones, and I narrowed down to DT770 250 ohm and Sennheiser HD250. I know that the HD250 is discontinued, but I think there's some selling them on ebay. Is there anyone who listened to both and give some comparison?

I have compared them to many Sennhiesers and prefer these headphones in every case. Hd-600 Hd-650 Hd-545 Hd-518 for example. But I haven't heard the Hd-250's. But it's a good bet these will be better to my ears as well. Hope this helps.

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #342 of 464
Picked up a new pair of earpads, not that I needed them.  I've noticed that DT770s other than mine tended to have thicker earpads.  Now I get the sound others have complained about.  Clamp grip of the headphone is stronger now.
So my earpads were half-flattened out of the box when I bought my DT770pro-250 new, that resulted in weaker treble peaks, more bass, better midrange balance and better lower mids, and no vice grip.  With thicker pads, I'm loving the treble, midbass, and upper midrange more than before to an extent, but mildly put off by the sonic trade-offs.

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #343 of 464
  Picked up a new pair of earpads, not that I needed them.  I've noticed that DT770s other than mine tended to have thicker earpads.  Now I get the sound others have complained about.  Clamp grip of the headphone is stronger now.
So my earpads were half-flattened out of the box when I bought my DT770pro-250 new, that resulted in weaker treble peaks, more bass, better midrange balance and better lower mids, and no vice grip.  With thicker pads, I'm loving the treble, midbass, and upper midrange more than before to an extent, but mildly put off by the sonic trade-offs.

Hopefully those new ear pads will flatten out with use. Giving you the sound you like Mad Max. I also was thinking of replacing my pads and was afraid of the same thing happening. Especially since I want to go with the black pads. I hope they are made with the same materials as the original gray ones. Beyerdynamic seems to make pads with different materials for the various headphones. So we'll see.....

Apr 14, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #344 of 464

Hopefully those new ear pads will flatten out with use. Giving you the sound you like Mad Max. I also was thinking of replacing my pads and was afraid of the same thing happening. Especially since I want to go with the black pads. I hope they are made with the same materials as the original gray ones. Beyerdynamic seems to make pads with different materials for the various headphones. So we'll see.....

Screw the wait, I squished the pads with my hands hard and that seems to have been enough to permanently half-flatten them, hahaha.  Soundstaging, midbass, and upper midrange may be nicest at their thickest state, but I prefer better low mids and low bass with less fatiguing highs.

Jul 3, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #345 of 464
Just bought these headphones and I'm surprised how flat they turned out to be. They aren't perfect though, mostly because the vocals seem to be a bit bright and lack depth. Hmm...

Knowing about the bass ports on the K701 (I prefer them closed), I noticed some bass reflex ports on the earcups of my DT770. I decided to cover them up and sure enough, a K701-like sound! The bass no longer covers the midrange! It may seem bassless at first, but playing some EDM confirms that the bass still exists.

I have read that earlier DT770's lacked these ports and thus had a flatter sound. Would anyone be able to confirm if this mod "converts" the new DT770 into the old version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back